Nassau - what to do: walking distance, best beach, local tours etc?

kculater

John Watling's is about a 15 minute walk from port. Seems a little longer becuse the last half of the walk is uphill!

Graycliff cigars and chocolate isn't very far from Watling's coming back towards port.

There is also the Nassau Pirate Museum that is just a block or so from Bay St.

We're planning on hitting these 3 places and maybe also the Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle and maybe Government House.

Thank you, I was wondering how long the walk is. Great information.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

I believe it is very warm and humid in July. You might want to take a cab to Queens Staircase, Fort Fincastle is at the top of the Staircase and to your right. Maybe take another cab to Junkanoo Beach, and then walk back to the ship when you are done at the beach. I do not know what cabs cost is Nassau, but the walk to the staircase is uphill.

I'm from the south so figure the humidity won't be much worse than it is here...kind of like sticking your head in an oven. :')

This is the walking tour we created and did last Thanksgiving. I would end the walk at Junkanoo beach bar, not worth the walk or money to go to Fish Fry. I am 63 and not the best of shape and was able to complete. At least walk to Queens Staircase and then everything else is down hill. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nassau+Walking+Tour/Queen's+Staircase/Fort+Fincastle/Government+House/Graycliff+Hotel+%26+Restaurant/St.Francis+Xavier+Cathedral/John+Watling%C2%B4s+Distillery/Junkanoo+Beach+(a+beach)/Goldie's+Conch+House/Straw+Market/@25.0762845,-77.3574568,15z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m62!4m61!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d04505130c5:0xf28d547dad31a7c3!2m2!1d-77.3404288!2d25.0782955!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d06abee5961:0x6338d56dc6c38c3d!2m2!1d-77.3378179!2d25.0738372!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7ce546d4bd2d:0xf10fbc5cdc90cf7e!2m2!1d-77.33852!2d25.0735953!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d1caf44c6fd:0xe14903e94241c8e6!2m2!1d-77.3445849!2d25.0758295!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d191ad5ef75:0x5054a8994ba1f6d2!2m2!1d-77.345546!2d25.075836!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d1c72c1f705:0x29794928365647dd!2m2!1d-77.3481455!2d25.0758643!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d1c41380a5f:0xbb69f09798099186!2m2!1d-77.3491412!2d25.0741003!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d1bd7293e6b:0x107f4905755613a7!2m2!1d-77.349341!2d25.0789552!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d239ade5fdb:0x8b2219302d247d34!2m2!1d-77.3597681!2d25.0798706!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f6321140b93cf:0x61c54bcad60e3aed!2m2!1d-77.3433899!2d25.0784597!3e2

Thanks for this - I too have been wondering what to do in Nassau - shall follow your steps:D

The walk to Junkanoo beach is less than 15 minutes. The tiki bikini hut is a great place to purchase a chair package from. They are relatively cheap and there is a package that comes with adult beverages for around $30.

**** IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THE PIRATE MUSEUM, DON'T DO IT****

That was the biggest waste of time and money.

I found this tour. It is inexpensive and quick. If you want to get off the ship for a little bit. If I don't do my own thing, I might do this one.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Nassau/Fun-Run-Nassau-and-Paradise-island-Tour/d420-16383P1

We booked this for our May 7th cruise. There seems to be a little confusion whether or not the tour brings us back to the cruise port at the end, but I suppose we can walk or take a taxi.

Has anyone done the parasailing at Cabbage Beach? If so, what did you think? It's a little pricey at $80 each. They have parasailing at St. Maarten for $45 each, so would save a little money. However, we already have an excursion in St. Maarten so time will be more rushed. Thinking it might be better to pay a little more since there is really nothing we want to do at Nassau and transportation to and from Port is included.

Would love some reviews!

Has anyone done the parasailing at Cabbage Beach? If so, what did you think? It's a little pricey at $80 each. They have parasailing at St. Maarten for $45 each, so would save a little money. However, we already have an excursion in St. Maarten so time will be more rushed. Thinking it might be better to pay a little more since there is really nothing we want to do at Nassau and transportation to and from Port is included.

Would love some reviews!

i would be interested in this as well...thanx!

I found this tour. It is inexpensive and quick. If you want to get off the ship for a little bit. If I don't do my own thing, I might do this one.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Nassau/Fun-Run-Nassau-and-Paradise-island-Tour/d420-16383P1

I saw this one too. It's cheaper than booking through Carnival with good reviews. Decisions, decisions....

We booked this for our May 7th cruise. There seems to be a little confusion whether or not the tour brings us back to the cruise port at the end, but I suppose we can walk or take a taxi.

We did this tour in Sept. 2016. It was good way for us to see Nassau for the first time. No one in our group wanted to stop at the beach when the guide went by it so we all went back to the ship. I don't think he mentioned coming back for us if we stayed at beach.

• 2 weeks later...
I found the rum distillery. It is John Watling's Distillery. http://www.johnwatlings.com/. The website had a map you can see the distance. I saw a couple of comments where people walked it and some say they took a cab. I saw one person said the walk was further than they thought and recommended a cab. The website said it is walking distance from the cruise ships. It is small and something quick to do. Another option for low key and inexpensive.

Can you buy rum from the distillery and bring it back on the ship? And do you know if the distillery allows kids to take the tour?

nassaumap-1.jpg

We too followed this map.

Nice walking tour. Any thanks for putting it together.

Ended up at the pirates bar.

Only disappointment was that the cathedral was closed and locked up.

But, their restroom was open. We made use of that and moved on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the website, it looks like you can purchase. When you get back to ship they will store it until the end of your cruise. The distillery is part of other land tours so families would be touring the facility. I can report back after my cruise.

Can you buy rum from the distillery and bring it back on the ship? And do you know if the distillery allows kids to take the tour?

According to the website, it looks like you can purchase. When you get back to ship they will store it until the end of your cruise. The distillery is part of other land tours so families would be touring the facility. I can report back after my cruise.

Please let me know how your tour goes since you go before me.

I love Nassau. They have a huge shopping area at the terminal. All locals who can be pushy but some cool stuff.

There is a bus that will pick you up at your ship and bring you to the terminal. A short walk through all the vendors and you are out on the street.

You can catch a taxi for around $5 to take you anywhere, they are government regulated.

I always go to Atlantis because I gamble.

With your early docking time nothing in the downtown area will be open until 20 am.

I love Nassau. They have a huge shopping area at the terminal. All locals who can be pushy but some cool stuff.

There is a bus that will pick you up at your ship and bring you to the terminal. A short walk through all the vendors and you are out on the street.

You can catch a taxi for around $5 to take you anywhere, they are government regulated.

I always go to Atlantis because I gamble.

With your early docking time nothing in the downtown area will be open until 20 am.

Can you take a taxi to Atlantis and just wander around?

• 3 weeks later...
I don't buy souvenirs, my photos are my souvenirs. My friends and family don't need or want more tee shirts, magnets, etc that they won't wear or use.

Same here. Have you even taken the water taxi just for harbor photos? if so, worth it?