Motion Sickness Medicationre

RockyMtnPea

Sailing on the Breeze next week. (Woo!! Hoo!!)

Are you still able to get the motion sickness medication from the pursers (sp) desk?

Does anyone recall the name of it?

Thank you

I have never asked for it before but did see somewhere on here that it was $3.00 each. Go to the pharmacy or local box store and get you some Bonine or the generic of it. Not expensive and I start taking it 2 days before cruise an continue till 2 days after because of sea legs. I don't use Dramamine (even non drowsy) makes me very sleepy. I have also heard you can purchase Meclazine from the pharmacy with no prescription at a very cheap rate.

Sailing on the Breeze next week. (Woo!! Hoo!!)

Are you still able to get the motion sickness medication from the pursers (sp) desk?

Does anyone recall the name of it?

Thank you

While I've never needed medication for seasickness, I'd suggest going to a local drugstore and picking some up before you leave. Having grown up around boats one of the mistakes I have seen people make when they start to feel a little seasick is they head below deck to sit. While sitting is not a bad thing, stay out in the open where you can see the horizon if possible, get some fresh air and the feeling may pass more easily.

The two most common meds are Bonine and Dramamine, you can probably find them in most drugstores.

I suffer terribly from motion sickness. I get sick in the back of a car if I look out a window to long sideways! I travel A LOT including cruising and long international flights. I used to live on motion sickness medicine but it left me sluggish and feeling foggy and hung over (even non drowsy stuff).

One day at the pharmacy several years ago my husband saw "Sea Bands" and bought them for me. OMG! My travel life changed. These work on a pressure point on your wrist, and don't know why or how but They Work! Little wrist band you wear with a round "nub" that presses on a point on your wrist.

I wear these on flights, boats, everywhere and never get sick. I have like 4 pair I keep with all my travel stuff. On a cruise for normal seas I wear one at all times and if it is bad I wear two (they come as a pair). At night I will take them off and take motion sickness med to give me a good night sleep (they work like sleeping pills on me). If I wake up at all in the middle of the night and feel sick, I put them back on.

Last excursion we did in Amber Cove snorkeling 1/2 the boat (literally) was hurling cause the waters were so choppy..and I had two bands on and was fine!

And best thing is they work quick..usually by the time you "feel" sick and pop any motion sickness pill your stomach is so upset it may or may not stay down. With the band's as soon as I feel a little uncomortable I slip one on and within 5 to 10 minutes I am fine...if I have one on and still feel it, put the other on and same thing 5 to 10 and I am good.

They cost like $7 or so in pharmacy, have seen in airports, and I bought some of mine on Ebay too.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Pursers desk will have medicine, but they do charge you and it is way cheaper to just buy it before you leave.

PS: Bands are supposed to work for morning sickness too, never had a need to use them for this, but can imagine they would work!:D

Edited by wemjam

I have never asked for it before but did see somewhere on here that it was $3.00 each. Go to the pharmacy or local box store and get you some Bonine or the generic of it. Not expensive and I start taking it 2 days before cruise an continue till 2 days after because of sea legs. I don't use Dramamine (even non drowsy) makes me very sleepy. I have also heard you can purchase Meclazine from the pharmacy with no prescription at a very cheap rate.

This is not standard prescribing.

A message board is not the place to get medical advice. ALL drugs have adverse potential. You do not know any medical history giving this random "advice".

As to the OP question- no, meds are not "given away" any longer.

We have always used Meclizine...they carry it at Walmart over the counter listed as Bonine. Our doctor prescribed it years ago for altitude sickness when we went snow skiing and it works for motion sickness also. I don't take it ahead of time, just carry it on the ship if we need it. Out of all of our cruises we have only had to use it one time and I took one pill, laid down for about an hour and then I was good to go.

This is not standard prescribing.

A message board is not the place to get medical advice. ALL drugs have adverse potential. You do not know any medical history giving this random "advice".

As to the OP question- no, meds are not "given away" any longer.

If you'd prefer less random advice regarding these medications, simply go to a pharmacy and pick them up off the shelf and read the label. These are not prescribed medications here and everyone is responsible for their own medical history.

You can purchase motion sickness pills and motion sickness bands in the fun shop on the boat

I sweat by seabands - My first cruise I got extremely sick tried the dramamine did not work - when the fun shop finally opened we went and spent $22 for seabands x 2 because my oldest daughter was sick as well - at first they did not work and then i read the directions (the cashier helped us put them on the first time) and realized she had them in the wrong spot and within 1/2 hour of getting them on the right spot we felt better (put 2 fingers on your wrist like you were taking your pulse and that is about where you put the band on your wrist)

Oh, another thing I thought of that works. Learned it in Hawaii on a dive boat year ago - FRESH pineapple! this goes hand in hand with Ginger. Natural way to curb sickness.

Had a big ole Hawaiian captain on our dive boat and everyone was loosing it, he cut up a fresh pineapple and handed it out and worked like a charm. Can usually always find this on board the ship. Has to be fresh (something in the enzymes I think).

Don't wait till you're onboard to worry about meds. Come prepared, just in case.

We swear by chewable Bonine. Husband and I each take one at bedtime (24 hours life) and are always fine.

We've tried Dramamine, ginger, and the Scop patch, but Bonine is by far the best for us.

Take some with you....just in case. Cheaper on land than on sea!

We have always used Meclizine...they carry it at Walmart over the counter listed as Bonine. Our doctor prescribed it years ago for altitude sickness when we went snow skiing and it works for motion sickness also. I don't take it ahead of time, just carry it on the ship if we need it. Out of all of our cruises we have only had to use it one time and I took one pill, laid down for about an hour and then I was good to go.

Dose it make you sleepy/drowsy ? Like the poster above Dramamine puts me to bed every time.

Dose it make you sleepy/drowsy ? Like the poster above Dramamine puts me to bed every time.

It can, although it is supposed to be less than regular dramamine. It is marketed under the name Bonine and also as Dramamine (less drowsy formula). While it is the less drowsy alternative to Dramamine it is an antihistamine and can have side affects.

We use Bonine chewables and take them at bedtime.

They don't make me any more drowsy than I would be otherwise. I do take a nap in the lounger while reading, but I would do that anyway...lol

Otherwise, I don't notice any excess sleepiness taking the meds at bedtime. One lasts 24 hours.

Thank you all for your reply's. What I wanted to type last night and could not due to issues with my keyboard (ugh) is that I am a long time cruiser however switched to all inclusives for the last 4 years. Now back to cruising.

I remember a time when you could obtain the medication from the pursers office. Free is for me :Dalthough I do normally travel with something.

Also, someone seemed concerned that I would take random medical suggestions from a message board. Have no fear...I know to vet things.;) My experience tells me that people are a wealth of information. Some good info, some that makes you go hmmmm. That said, I appreciate all that took the time to respond.

Happy cruising!!!

Bonine works very well for me for any kind of motion sickness. It is OTC at almost every drug store. Target does not carry it. Chew one before you get to the port and you should be good for the first day's sailing. Chew one before each sea day.

I have only taken it once and it then laid down to try and get the queasiness to go away. I dozed for about an hour and then I was good to go. I didn't feel drowsy, just wanted to lay still.