Fiordland on Noordam

sandbag7

We are booked on a February 2018 Sydney to Auckland Cruise on the Noordam; the cruise itinerary includes a 2 hour stop at Milford Sound (mostly for tour hookups I'm guessing) with two days denoted as Fiordland cruising. No stops or references to Doubtful or Dusky Sound is made. So this post is directed to those who have previously taken this cruise on the Noordam or other HAL ship, or are otherwise "in the know": what can I expect to see, and where does the ship go during these two days? Should I bring some extra special binoculars in addition to a 300 camera lens to maximize my viewing potential? Am I doomed to miss out on forays to Dusky and Doubtful Sound? Thanks in advance.

Did a similar cruise (Auckland - Sydney) with Maasdam in December 2016. We cruised through Dusky and Doubtful Sounds. Made our way into Milford Sound as Noordam was leaving the Sound :D. You don't stop, the Sound dead ends and the ship will make it all the way to the village of Milford Sound turn around and head out. Good binoculars and zoom camera are highly recommended.

Did a similar cruise (Auckland - Sydney) with Maasdam in December 2016. We cruised through Dusky and Doubtful Sounds. Made our way into Milford Sound as Noordam was leaving the Sound :D. You don't stop, the Sound dead ends and the ship will make it all the way to the village of Milford Sound turn around and head out. Good binoculars and zoom camera are highly recommended.

Thanks Sparks; I have some old binocs and a decent zoom, but I took your advice (sorta) and ordered a Polaris 12 X 50 Monocular which should come in handy.

I also cadged some of your handy advise from your other posts to get tour ideas in Australia and NZ. Did you end up going to the Waitomo Cave? Did you enjoy it.

I noticed you are a Hapag-Lloyd afficianado; I have almost booked several tours but my lack of language has stopped me; not to get too far off the topic, but can I assume with your background that language is not an issue for you?

My best guess is that if your official itinerary does not list visits to Doubtful and Dusky Sounds, your ship will not be sailing into them.

Thaks RKA; I've received another guess that it is likely that the Noordam will be coasting in and out of a number of sounds (maybe 12!), so I guess we will just sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Thaks RKA; I've received another guess that it is likely that the Noordam will be coasting in and out of a number of sounds (maybe 12!), so I guess we will just sit back and enjoy the scenery.

Truly, I hope that happens for you! Milford Sound is interesting from a scenic standpoint, but Dusky and Doubtful Sounds far exceeded Milford Sound in my "memorable" scale than did Milford.

Both times I visited them, the weather conditions were perfect. Clear, blue skies, flat calm on the water that perfectly mirrored the mountains along the sides of the Sound: one of my favorite cruise memories!

My best guess is that if your official itinerary does not list visits to Doubtful and Dusky Sounds, your ship will not be sailing into them.

Well the Maasdam itinerary stated "Milford Sound and Fjordland", since this trip with the Noordam has an extra day at Fjordland, I am sure that they will enter a boatload of Sounds, including Dusky and Doubtful.

Thanks Sparks; I have some old binocs and a decent zoom, but I took your advice (sorta) and ordered a Polaris 12 X 50 Monocular which should come in handy.

I also cadged some of your handy advise from your other posts to get tour ideas in Australia and NZ. Did you end up going to the Waitomo Cave? Did you enjoy it.

I noticed you are a Hapag-Lloyd afficianado; I have almost booked several tours but my lack of language has stopped me; not to get too far off the topic, but can I assume with your background that language is not an issue for you?

Yeah rented a car in Tauranga and drove to Waitomo Caves, I did enjoy it, never seen anything like that before. Met some people from the ship while there, who arranged a tour with a local while they walked out of the harbor area, that way you see a bit more of the scenery while underway, when driving you have to watch traffic and stay on the left.

We always looked for itineraries with interesting places, irregardless of cruise line. Now solo, after my wife's death, I am still continuing that tradition. Also love tall ships, did barefoot cruising and Star Clipper, beautiful trips. With Hapag Lloyd we cruised the Norwegian coast, Spitsbergen, the Arctic icefields, Iceland, Faroer and Shetlands as well as Chile, Robinson Crusoe, Easter Island, Pitcairn and Micronesia on a Pacific trip. Language is somewhat of an issue as all announcements are in German, however everybody speaks English. I am pretty proficient in German, that helps. On the Spitsbergen trip we were the only non German speaking couple out of 600 passengers. On the Pacific trip with 400 passengers there were 6 non German speakers. The ships, service, excursions, food and pretty much everything else are excellent. And the cruise fare includes cancellation insurance, port charges and hotel service charges. Drinks are affordable or you can purchase a drink package.

Early last year, january, did a cruise with Costa Romantica, in the Indian Ocean, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar, Reunion and back to Mauritius, absolutely incredible, so many beautiful places. The ship was awesome and the public places lively till deep in the night. Maasdam not! Ship is dead after 9pm.

Enjoy your cruise!

First time we have heard of two days allocated to cruise the sounds.Usually one day is sufficient to cruise Milford , Dusky and Doubtful Sounds,with early morning entry to Milford so that the passengers taking the overland tour can be ferried ashore.

Now I am curious what extra sightseeing will be included for the passengers on the overland tour.