Cartagena on a Monday

WonderMan3

We will be in Cartagena on a Monday in May. It appears that most of the attractions are closed on Mondays that we want to see (Roman Theatre, Punic Walls Museum, District of the Roman Forum, Concepcion Castle, Scenic Elevator). I have read that when a cruise ship is in port they may open attractions. Does anyone know if all of those I've listed would open on a cruise ship day? I know that the Roman Theatre does at times but wasn't sure about any of the others. Anyone been here on a Monday on a cruise and still found everything closed? I don't want to book an excursion to go outside of Cartagena if the stuff in town will be open but I don't think we'll know for sure until we get there. But if we wait and everything is closed then we'll have nothing to do. Guess we'll just relax onboard if that's the case. Anyone have any advice who's run into this situation?

We will be in Cartagena on a Monday in May. It appears that most of the attractions are closed on Mondays that we want to see (Roman Theatre, Punic Walls Museum, District of the Roman Forum, Concepcion Castle, Scenic Elevator). I have read that when a cruise ship is in port they may open attractions. Does anyone know if all of those I've listed would open on a cruise ship day? I know that the Roman Theatre does at times but wasn't sure about any of the others. Anyone been here on a Monday on a cruise and still found everything closed? I don't want to book an excursion to go outside of Cartagena if the stuff in town will be open but I don't think we'll know for sure until we get there. But if we wait and everything is closed then we'll have nothing to do. Guess we'll just relax onboard if that's the case. Anyone have any advice who's run into this situation?

Even if the attractions are closed there is good shopping in Cartagena - including an indoor market for local produce and local artisan stores including many, many shoe shops. For foodies there are some excellent Tapas bars and chocoholics will find a visit to the Valor Chocolateria a great way to pass the time (hand made chocolates, delicious chocolate cakes/pastries/ice cream and tasty hot chocolate**).

**Remember that drnking chocolate in Spain is VERY thick and sweet made for dunking churros; if you want the type of lighter hot chocolate drink usually found in the UK etc. ask for Cola Cao.

Even if the attractions are closed there is good shopping in Cartagena - including an indoor market for local produce and local artisan stores including many, many shoe shops. For foodies there are some excellent Tapas bars and chocoholics will find a visit to the Valor Chocolateria a great way to pass the time (hand made chocolates, delicious chocolate cakes/pastries/ice cream and tasty hot chocolate**).

**Remember that drnking chocolate in Spain is VERY thick and sweet made for dunking churros; if you want the type of lighter hot chocolate drink usually found in the UK etc. ask for Cola Cao.

Thank you! Both of those sound interesting and I will add to my itinerary notes.

• 2 weeks later...

As the previous Poster has noted, we too will be in Port of Cartagena on a Monday in mid-May and had not planned a private tour of any type, hoping to see the sites as a DIY. We have planned excursions in most of our other cruise ship Ports. However I was not aware that many of the sites could be closed down on a Monday.

To anyone on the Boards who has visited Cartagena previously, if I were to try to book a tour now for Mid-May, which direction should I look for tours and what would be the important tour sites to see and be included in a tour? We are a small group of 4 adults in Cartagena for only 1 Port day. Looking for suggestions or probabilities that there will be sites opened for visitation since there is a least 1 cruise ship in town with 1200 passengers.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

As the previous Poster has noted, we too will be in Port of Cartagena on a Monday in mid-May and had not planned a private tour of any type, hoping to see the sites as a DIY. We have planned excursions in most of our other cruise ship Ports. However I was not aware that many of the sites could be closed down on a Monday.

To anyone on the Boards who has visited Cartagena previously, if I were to try to book a tour now for Mid-May, which direction should I look for tours and what would be the important tour sites to see and be included in a tour? We are a small group of 4 adults in Cartagena for only 1 Port day. Looking for suggestions or probabilities that there will be sites opened for visitation since there is a least 1 cruise ship in town with 1200 passengers.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

The Roman theatre/museum generally opens on Mondays if a ship is in port. For other attractions complete and send this form to the Tourist Board to ask what other places will/will not be open. http://www.cartagenaturismo.es/publicas/contactar/_7LU3yamrJ3dqpilDYITemw

You can complete the form/ask your questions in English.

Edited by campolady

Complete and send this form to the Tourist Board to ask what will/will not be open. http://www.cartagenaturismo.es/publicas/contactar/_7LU3yamrJ3dqpilDYITemw

You can complete the form/ask your questions in English.

Thank You very much Campolady... Do you have any great ideas or suggestions for Seville (Cadiz) for 1 port day in town as a DIY?

Thank You very much Campolady... Do you have any great ideas or suggestions for Seville (Cadiz) for 1 port day in town as a DIY?

Sorry - we always stay in Cadiz when we dock there so don't go on to Seville.

For Seville the highlights are the cathedral and the Alcazar, which is adjacent to it, as well as strolling through the old Jewish quarter which is nearby. Plaza de Espana is also a highlight but not really in close walking distance from those other places from what I can recall. Seville is also the home of Flamenco so seeing a show is recommended. Check around with tour companies or ship excursions that may offer these. Likely a ship excursion will not include all of them but a private tour might give you flexibility. Review the tours carefully. You want something that will take you inside the cathedral not just viewing the exterior which is what happened on a ship's excursion I took once. Luckily I had been there before and already been inside the cathedral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For Seville the highlights are the cathedral and the Alcazar, which is adjacent to it, as well as strolling through the old Jewish quarter which is nearby. Plaza de Espana is also a highlight but not really in close walking distance from those other places from what I can recall. Seville is also the home of Flamenco so seeing a show is recommended. Check around with tour companies or ship excursions that may offer these. Likely a ship excursion will not include all of them but a private tour might give you flexibility. Review the tours carefully. You want something that will take you inside the cathedral not just viewing the exterior which is what happened on a ship's excursion I took once. Luckily I had been there before and already been inside the cathedral.

Thank You Wonderman3.

We dock in Cartagena and had considered just a DIY instead of a private tour to Seville.

I remember reading that it was approx. a 90 minute drive from Cartagena to Seville and to see the Alcazar. Are there enough good sights to enjoy in Cartagena or is Seville/ Alcazar worth the amount of time round trip in driving to get there? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank You Wonderman3.

We dock in Cartagena and had considered just a DIY instead of a private tour to Seville.

I remember reading that it was approx. a 90 minute drive from Cartagena to Seville and to see the Alcazar. Are there enough good sights to enjoy in Cartagena or is Seville/ Alcazar worth the amount of time round trip in driving to get there? Your thoughts are appreciated.

In your original post you said you were coming into Cadiz not Cartagena. Cadiz and Seville are about 90 minutes apart. Cartagena is nowhere near Seville. If you meant to say Cadiz, I have no information about it. I only docked there and transferred to Seville on an excursion.

My apologies Wonderman3, I did mean to reference Cadiz, not Cartagena. Busy dealing with so many Ports on our upcoming cruise. We do have an excursion planned for Cartagena to see the Alhambra.

So back to my original question, were you happy enough with your time in Seville and the sites there to the Alcazar that you would recommend it or could we possibly have a DIY day in Cadiz?

I am hoping Campolady will make further recommendations.

I did email the Cadiz Tourism site but it was not very helpful in letting us know in advance what would be opened or closed on the Monday in May that we will be there....

My apologies Wonderman3, I did mean to reference Cadiz, not Cartagena. Busy dealing with so many Ports on our upcoming cruise. We do have an excursion planned for Cartagena to see the Alhambra.

So back to my original question, were you happy enough with your time in Seville and the sites there to the Alcazar that you would recommend it or could we possibly have a DIY day in Cadiz?

I am hoping Campolady will make further recommendations.

I did email the Cadiz Tourism site but it was not very helpful in letting us know in advance what would be opened or closed on the Monday in May that we will be there....

IMO its a shame that you have decided to go to the Alhambra from Cartagena - personally I think the palace is one of the most overrated places with horrendous crowds but that is just personal choice and most tourists love it. Take plenty of water with you as there are lots of steps and May temperatures can be high (don't buy water etc. at the Alhambra as it is grossly overpriced). I would suggest that you call for a drink or a bite to eat the Parador hotel in the Alhambra grounds as non-residents are welcome in the bar and restaurant and the location is special. A mini-bus operates a circular tour of Granada and you can board this at the Alhambra car park - cheap and a good way to see more of the city (much as we don't over rate the Alhambra we do love Granada city).

The old town of Cadiz is wonderful and so DIY friendly - the Cathedral shouldn't be missed and the old town has amazing small shops and tapas bars. Don't use the HOHO bus in Cadiz, as the old town streets are too narrow for it to go down it just goes down and back up the same stretch of uninteresting beach.

Hope this helps.

IMO its a shame that you have decided to go to the Alhambra from Cartagena - personally I think the palace is one of the most overrated places with horrendous crowds but that is just personal choice and most tourists love it. Take plenty of water with you as there are lots of steps and May temperatures can be high (don't buy water etc. at the Alhambra as it is grossly overpriced). I would suggest that you call for a drink or a bite to eat the Parador hotel in the Alhambra grounds as non-residents are welcome in the bar and restaurant and the location is special. A mini-bus operates a circular tour of Granada and you can board this at the Alhambra car park - cheap and a good way to see more of the city (much as we don't over rate the Alhambra we do love Granada city).

The old town of Cadiz is wonderful and so DIY friendly - the Cathedral shouldn't be missed and the old town has amazing small shops and tapas bars. Don't use the HOHO bus in Cadiz, as the old town streets are too narrow for it to go down it just goes down and back up the same stretch of uninteresting beach.

Hope this helps.

Sorry - have just re-read my reply and I have probably given the wrong impression. I am sure that you will enjoy the Alhambra, and Granada has so much to offer; I just meant it is a shame that you will miss exploring Cartagena.

Hope this helps.

could not agree more, we love the old town is very enjoyable... we passed on the Alhambra, never missed it.