Dining and beverage package

Djaesmom

Please excuse my ignorance, but this is my first time cruising. We will be sailing on the oasis of the seas in August, and Cruise critic is very helpful,but I'm still very confused about dining. I have read that some restaurants are free, or complementary, others have a small service fee, and some you pay off the menu. Then I read other forums about main dining room or MDR I believe is what is used, formal dining and traditional dining. And I also heard that reservations must be made for dinner. Can somebody help clarify all of this for me? Also are the beverage packages necessary? We are not very big soda drinkers, and we wont drink more than one or 2 alcoholic beverages, so will be able to survive with what is offered in the restaurants and the tap water in the cabin ? Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go to the RCI website and look up your ship...there is info on which restaurants are "for fee" and which are included in your fare. The MDR and buffet are included and there are smaller, "snacky" types of places included, too. Traditional dining means you are assigned a table and time...it's the same each night. "My time dining" is in the dining room, but YOU go when you want, and may have a different table nightly. same menu and suggested dress. You do NOT need reservations for the dining room, but if you have My time dining, you might decide to make reservations...and that's fine...you can do that.

There are 2 "formal" nights on a 7 nighter...but few bring tux or gown anymore. Look clean and neat, and you'll be fine.

Breakfast and lunch are also served in the MDR (lunch is only on sea days), and it's "open seating"....just show up and you'll be seated and served.

Sounds like you need NO beverage packages at all. Included beverages are: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice during breakfast. The tap water is fine...but ask your cabin attendant for ice daily...the tap water never "runs cold"....you can get glasses of ice water anywhere...all bars and eating venues! You can buy ANY drink without a package...sodas come in cans if you don't have the soda package.

Please excuse my ignorance, but this is my first time cruising. We will be sailing on the oasis of the seas in August, and Cruise critic is very helpful,but I'm still very confused about dining. I have read that some restaurants are free, or complementary, others have a small service fee, and some you pay off the menu. Then I read other forums about main dining room or MDR I believe is what is used, formal dining and traditional dining. And I also heard that reservations must be made for dinner. Can somebody help clarify all of this for me? Also are the beverage packages necessary? We are not very big soda drinkers, and we wont drink more than one or 2 alcoholic beverages, so will be able to survive with what is offered in the restaurants and the tap water in the cabin ? Thanks so much.

If you choose traditional dining, you'll be assigned a table at either 6:30 or 8:30 in MDR decks 4 or 5. If you choose, my time dining (MTD), you show up between 6:00 and 9:00 or you can make reservations each day if you prefer. The following restaurants are no charge: MTD, MDR, Windjammer, Sorrento's Pizza, Promenade Café, Central Park Café, Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets but only for breakfast until 10:30, Hot Dog Stand, Wipe Out Café, soft serve ice cream, and MDR breakfast and lunch buffet or off the menu. A $30-45 charge for the following specialty restaurants, reservations recommended: 150 Central Park, Chops Grille, Giovanni's, Izumi's, and the Brazilian Steakhouse located inside the Solarium. Chef's Table costs about $95 per person. A la carte pricing for the Mexican restaurant, Sabor. Juices, water, coffee, tea, milk, lemonade are available free throughout the ship. Usually, most specialty restaurants offer reduced fees on embarkation day.

Make sure to use your Cruise Planner and book all the shows a few months in advance and show up 15 minutes early prior to show time. Happy cruising...

Let me add. Google.. Beyond ships . com.. Find your cruise line and ship and you will find tons of pictures, menus , deck plans entertainment venues, and ship tours. Lots of info. I did leave out that if you have traditional MDR your table number and time will be printed on your seapass card at check in, we always go to MDR as soon as we board to check out our table. If you are unhappy about your table location or the deck it is on you can usually get a new table on the spot. Deck 5 is Asian style and very red, deck 4 is a more subtle harmonious French motif, and deck 3 is MTD and done in Americana style. If you choose MTD, you'll be on deck 3 all week. happy cruising