Cabin 8046 on Gem - enclosed balcony - should I keep or change?

mimi05052012

While on our recent cruise on the Epic, we booked an October 14 cruise on the Gem. We wanted to take advantage of the extra $100 OBC and double cruise next certificates. I usually do much more preparation before booking a cruise so I'm a little worried about this one! The cruise is to Canada/New England leaving on the Gem on October 14 out of NY. I picked cabin 8046. We always sail in balcony and like to be close enough to most restaurants to take the stairs. The cabin in forward of the lifeboats so this seemed like a good choice.

I just noticed on our confirmation statement that there's a 'warning' that this is an enclosed balcony. I've never seen that before. Given this is a fall cruise, will this be a good choice? We certainly don't expect to do any sunbathing on this cruise, but like to be able to go out on the balcony and watch the ocean, watch the ship arrive and depart ports. Does enclosed just mean that the balcony above fully covers the balcony? I think that would be ok.

Appreciate an input from anyone who has sailed on an enclosed balcony before. thanks!

Below is a closeup of the Gem's starboard side, forward. Deck 8 is the lowest deck of balcony cabins in the photo. As you can see, by "enclosed," NCL is referring to what some folks call "hull balconies" -- the ship's structure creates a frame around the balcony. It's not as totally open as a regular balcony, as you can see from the balconies on the decks above.

We have never sailed in a cabin with a hull balcony, and speaking only for myself, I wouldn't want to. But if you do a search on here, you'll find some threads where people have discussed them, and there are folks who reported that they liked the protection from the wind.

Enjoy your cruise!

Gem%20starboard_zpsufsuquvf.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

While on our recent cruise on the Epic, we booked an October 14 cruise on the Gem. We wanted to take advantage of the extra $100 OBC and double cruise next certificates. I usually do much more preparation before booking a cruise so I'm a little worried about this one! The cruise is to Canada/New England leaving on the Gem on October 14 out of NY. I picked cabin 8046. We always sail in balcony and like to be close enough to most restaurants to take the stairs. The cabin in forward of the lifeboats so this seemed like a good choice.

I just noticed on our confirmation statement that there's a 'warning' that this is an enclosed balcony. I've never seen that before. Given this is a fall cruise, will this be a good choice? We certainly don't expect to do any sunbathing on this cruise, but like to be able to go out on the balcony and watch the ocean, watch the ship arrive and depart ports. Does enclosed just mean that the balcony above fully covers the balcony? I think that would be ok.

Appreciate an input from anyone who has sailed on an enclosed balcony before. thanks!

Check YouTube. Just put in search "ncl gem enclosed balcony) and they will pop up. Funny I just did this this morning. I have cabin 8540 on the Gem in 2 weeks. This is also an enclosed balcony cabin.

It all depends on weather you like to sit in the sun or have more protection from the wind. We've had a hull balcony (but we also had a front balcony) and really didn't mind the enclosure part but I can certainly understand people not liking it but not to the extent the newlywed bride got a hull balcony room without knowing and spent her whole honeymoon crying on the bed.

We did canada/New England last year. It was chilly, foggy and raining for a part of almost every day. We had a hull balcony, which was all that was left when we booked last minute, and at the time we booked, I wasn't thrilled about it. It turned out o be terrific for this cruise. We had cover and a shield from the wind and drizzling rain, and we could still enjoy our balcony.

We had 8048 and it's great!!! Plenty of sun too

Got a great deal as I booked a rock bottom inside for $500 per pax for 8 day repo and for $100 more per pax upgraded 48 hours pre cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I live in New England. And my guess it will be cold on the water in October[emoji260][emoji262]I would assume an enclosed balcony to keep the wind down would be a plus for New England in the Fall. If it was Caribbean and hot then I'd guess I would want open [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While on our recent cruise on the Epic, we booked an October 14 cruise on the Gem...The cruise is to Canada/New England leaving on the Gem on October 14 out of NY. I picked cabin 8046.

Hi Mimi!

I cannot answer your question, but am also on the same sailing! And was beginning to wonder if anyone else was as our Roll Call is empty. :D So I just wanted to say hi. I hope your balcony is great (and it sounds like it will be good for avoiding the fall winds/rains) and you have (and thus us) smooth sailing. Hope you join the Roll Call.

202 days to go!

Susan

I live in New England. And my guess it will be cold on the water in October[emoji260][emoji262]I would assume an enclosed balcony to keep the wind down would be a plus for New England in the Fall. If it was Caribbean and hot then I'd guess I would want open [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I echo Traj - I an in northern NH and even though I would never do a NE/Canada cruise I suspect you will be very happy with an "enclosed " balcony that time of year!!

Hi Mimi!

I cannot answer your question, but am also on the same sailing! And was beginning to wonder if anyone else was as our Roll Call is empty. :D So I just wanted to say hi. I hope your balcony is great (and it sounds like it will be good for avoiding the fall winds/rains) and you have (and thus us) smooth sailing. Hope you join the Roll Call.

202 days to go!

Susan

Hi Susan! Will definitely join the roll call. I'm still trying to get info from our March cruise organized and do a review. We booked the October cruise kind of spur of the moment while on the cruise. They were offering $100 OBC which 'ended' while we were on the cruise ... of course, the offer was extended and there really wasn't any reason to rush but nothing helps beat the post cruise blues like planning your next cruise, right?