Tips for First-Time Cruisers

Wow, thanks for the great advice, everyone! I'm going to try to do individual replies when I have time!

It looks like we are going to book a private beach day in Falmouth (spelling error in my original post, whoops!) and the Chichen Itza tour excursions in advance, and just take the rest of it by ear!

Thanks to the suggestions, I found the "First Time Cruisers" board and the Roll Call for our cruise! I've also added things like hanging door organizers and magnetic hooks to my shopping list. I can tend to be more of an overpacker but I will definitely try to pack differently for this trip! I can't believe how much this site has to offer and I look forward to doing a lot of research in the weeks leading up to the cruise!

Again, I really appreciate everyone's tips and recommendations so far!

Ask your cabin steward to show you all the hidden storage. Friends we met didn't know about the cupboards behind the mirrors on the dressing table until the last day.

You can check you account on your TV.

You can also check restaurant capacity on your TVs before you decide where to go for lunch.

Use the screens outside the lifts to check what is happening where, and it will also plot your route from where you are to your activity.

When you go anywhere, e g pools, make sure you have everything with you, the ship is big!

1. Don't overplan but make plans (make sense)? Do plan at least one specialty restaurant, plan on a show or two but if you have to much fun in the sun and you don't make the show, no big deal

2. Explore the ship the first day, you will find your favorite spots pretty quickly,it's not that overwhelming.

3. Spend time in Central Park, so romantic and beautiful, get a cocktail and just enjoy the serenity

4. Take the stairs vs escalator, your body will thank you!

5. I'm not a nap person but taking one for an hour or so will really energize you, helped me. Hey, you're on vacation!

6. If possible, unplug and don't check your email or voicemails, no internet. Just unplug for one week, all that crap will be waiting for you when you get back

7. Tip your cabin steward first day, ask for bucket of ice and some glasses if you bring wine on board, they will be good to you all week.

8. Unpack your suitcase first day and put it under your bed.

Have fun!

I'll give you my"Three Warnings" for newbies:

1) Expect to spend the rest of your lives planning and looking forward to yournext cruise.:cool:

2) Hope your children get scholarships because you will be spending theirCollege Funds on cruises.;p

3) If you don't gain at least 5 pounds, you didn't have enough fun. :D

I don't think I've read a more accurate post ever on these boards! Great advice!

Thank You, Gingermint!

1. We anticipate it!

2. Good thing we don't have kids yet

3. We are already being mindful of what we eat and taking it easy on food now, so we can really enjoy ourselves there!

Thanks for the advice!

You Are Welcome! ;p

Pre-cruise advice- a few weeks before the cruise I pull out everything I think I might want for the cruise and put it aside in a laundry basket or popup hamper (bring one of those! Fits in the closet and you can just dump into luggage at the end). Then I let it sit.

A week later I go back and begin to 'cull the herd'. Picking, choosing, mixing/matching and most important- eliminating. This pair of shorts with these 2 tops...Remember if you want to zip line you will need closed toed shoes, ice skating requires long pants and socks.

I do the final comb through a couple of days before. I have gone from grossly over-packing to coming home with a few clean t-shirts.

Another trick- I don't try to carry the stuff I want day 1 on board carry-on flight. I pack a separate bag with sunblock, swim suit and whatever. When we pick up the baggage I just pull it out and we are good to check the stuff at the port again.

Finally make sure your legs are in shape and are prepared to do stairs! Unless you have the patience to wait on the elevators. They can be crowded.

We'll be on the same sailing with you in May. I'll be the gray-haired guy by the bar. The advice to plan but not over plan given above is perhaps the best. Book your excursions, specialty dining (optional) and shows online so that you can enjoy that first day on board looking around instead of making reservations.

I'll give you my"Three Warnings" for newbies:

1) Expect to spend the rest of your lives planning and looking forward to yournext cruise.:cool:

2) Hope your children get scholarships because you will be spending theirCollege Funds on cruises.;p

3) If you don't gain at least 5 pounds, you didn't have enough fun. :D

Where is the like button when you need it?! :tropical-drink: Ah well, a drink will have to do...cheers!