RCCL Travel Protection vs Other Travel Insurance

Has anyone purchased a travel insurance outside of RCCL for their cruise?

I've read that there are much better insurances than the line's protection plan, that often cover more for comparable price or less.

I've never looked into other insurance plans, so I don't even know where to begin... I tried searching this board, but didn't see any threads about this already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal Caribbean /cruiseline insurance is not optimal: 1. generally more expensive, 2. coverages are less--does not cover items bought outside the cruise line, 3. there is a conflict of interest if you have a claim with the cruise line. But the cruise line will insure anyone--elderly or those with pre existing conditions but at high cost.

Buying directly from the travel insurance provider is better option.

On the comparison site Insure My Trip, we found CSA Travel Protection http://www.csatravelprotection.com to have the highest coverage for medical emergency transport (which is our major need) even on their standard plan. We had to use CSA on our cruise last year due to medical issue in Greece and CSA's 24/7 center directed us to a health provider in their network that they paid directly. We had no out of pocket costs!

... But the cruise line will insure anyone--elderly or those with pre existing conditions but at high cost....

I agree that the cruise line insurance is not sufficient for our purposes, however the cruise line premiums are not age based, and may actually be less expensive for older people than 3rd party insurance.