Exodus Continues

cwisleman

We just returned from a week on the Legend. Service was a little less formal than Seabourn but in many ways superior. We were called by name immediately, service was personal, intuitive and genuine. The crew went above and beyond in every respect. Incredible since they work 9 month contracts, and 12 hours per day 7 days per week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes they are lovely ships and I don't know how Windstar does it for the price. Great crew as well, as you commented. So far, we still enjoy sailing Seabourn as well (vive la difference) and hope that they will get their act together - but do find that we prefer the smaller ships.

In your opinion, what does this move by Graham signify in terms of Seabourn's ships' kitchens?

Happy and healthy sailing!

Really don't know about Seabourn. Hope they can get their act together again, but suspect they will sell Odyssey class ships once the Ovation is in service. John Delany is making his presence known at Windstar. Have also always appreciated Guenter's abilities. We have decided to go back to Windstar. Will also try Silversea Muse for more "formal" cruising. All the best to you Markham.

Really don't know about Seabourn. Hope they can get their act together again, but suspect they will sell Odyssey class ships once the Ovation is in service. John Delany is making his presence known at Windstar. Have also always appreciated Guenter's abilities. We have decided to go back to Windstar. Will also try Silversea Muse for more "formal" cruising. All the best to you Markham.

Actually I am starting to wonder whether Seabourn have any idea where they are going next. However they would be crazy to sell the Odyssey ships and leave themselves with just two. There are plenty of larger ships and the competition must be great at that end of the market. Windstar are doing well because they have grasped that what a lot of people want are smaller ships.

I have no idea where the thought that SB will sell the Odyssey class ships comes from. That would leave them with just two ships and no matter how large they are they can only cover so much territory. Seriously doubt it.

Actually I am starting to wonder whether Seabourn have any idea where they are going next. However they would be crazy to sell the Odyssey ships and leave themselves with just two. There are plenty of larger ships and the competition must be great at that end of the market. Windstar are doing well because they have grasped that what a lot of people want are smaller ships.

Having spent my working career with a large corporation I learned the only thing that matters is the bottom line. Seabourn now falls under Holland America in the Carnival Corp organization. Following is a link to an interesting article re: Holland America and Windstar: Arnold Donald wasn't paid $10 million last year for thinking small! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windstar_Cruises

Seabourn won't be Seabourn if all they offer are Encore and Ovation - to me, for sure. So if this rumor of selling off the Odyssey class ships ever come to pass, well, I would not return. (If anyone has a clue who might be the buyer, please let me know!)

I understand fully how the launch of Encore and its different "character" and style have led lots of us to question what Seabourn is doing with their brand. But since we are booked out one full year frim now on the 3 Odyssey class ships and there is no hard information about change - much less change at the top - Seabourn remains our line of choice. Let's see what happens to Seabourn's plans generally, itineraries and pricing in several months!

Best of luck Cwisleman as you cruise on other lines and I hope we hear from you about those adventures.

I think the main reason companies sell aging assets is the maintenance costs. I would say that is why the triplets were sold. IMO the O class ships do not fall into that category.

Seabourn won't be Seabourn if all they offer are Encore and Ovation - to me, for sure. So if this rumor of selling off the Odyssey class ships ever come to pass, well, I would not return. (If anyone has a clue who might be the buyer, please let me know!)

I understand fully how the launch of Encore and its different "character" and style have led lots of us to question what Seabourn is doing with their brand. But since we are booked out one full year frim now on the 3 Odyssey class ships and there is no hard information about change - much less change at the top - Seabourn remains our line of choice. Let's see what happens to Seabourn's plans generally, itineraries and pricing in several months!

Best of luck Cwisleman as you cruise on other lines and I hope we hear from you about those adventures.

Thanks, Always enjoy reading your posts

I think the main reason companies sell aging assets is the maintenance costs. I would say that is why the triplets were sold. IMO the O class ships do not fall into that category.

Actually, it's all about taxes and using depreciation to lower taxable income. When the asset runs out of depreciation, it's time to sell. Each line has their own accounting method, but typically, depreciation of ships is computed net of a 15% projected residual value using the straight-line method over estimated service lives of primarily 30 years. Once the ship is sold, the proceeds are used in a "like kind exchange" to acquire a new ship, therefore no taxes are owed on the profit from the sale. Then the company has a new tax shelter, and the whole process starts over.

I don't think yo have anything to worry about, Markham. The O class ships will probably be around for quite a while.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, Markham. The O class ships will probably be around for quite a while.