Question for Canadians Flying out of States

pepcab

I don't even know if this is the right spot for this question, but I'm sure someone can help. We are driving in to the Buffalo Airport and renting a van to drive to Miami for our cruise. Our oldest daughter, whose 17, will be dropping us off at the airport and then driving back home. Does anyone know if she will be hassled going back across alone? Also if it will be a problem with her coming back to Buffalo alone to pick us up?? Thanks in advance.

I doubt that she will have a problem returning to her own country as long as she has a Canadian passport, but she very well might have a problem returning to the U.S. alone to pick you up. I would suggest discussing this with the U.S. border people when the three of you cross over the first time. They may have a solution if it is, in fact, a problem. It seems that it would be for a U.S. teenager traveling alone to Canada (http://traveltips.usatoday.com/requirements-minors-crossing-canadian-border-61519.html) but the rules for Canadian citizens under 18 coming to the U.S. may be different.

I actually called the Border Service today and they said the same thing. Write a consent letter from both parents stating that she is dropping us off and picking us up, the VIN number of our vehicle and the plate number. That way all bases are covered. Some friends also suggested to mention it at the border when we first cross and maybe they can put a note on our file. We will be fine I'm sure.