Use your mobile phone on SS

uk1

"SeaMobile inked a deal with Silversea Cruises to enable the delivery of its wireless services on board the company's luxury cruise ships. SeaMobile's IP/software-based solution is designed to enable wireless customers to use their cell phones while at sea, regardless of the type of handset (GSM, GPRS or CDMA) they are using."

First I was happy ....... then I thought about it!

I hope people behave well with this and they make some effort to ensure the ambience isn't effected by it.

Jeff

I think you're right.

Most people will behave thoughtfully, but it only needs a few to really change things. They are the ones' that are thoughtless, or think that they are more important than others, or who have a need to either show off - I'm sure you've heard them - they talk louder about their business dealings to ensure others around them can hear how important they are and how big their deals are. It's a bit of an illness with some business people who genuinely and often mistakenly believe that they are vital to their business. Some will go on a cruise now, who wouldn't have previously because they can keep in touch. Others will not be able to rest the temptation to call their friends "Guess why I am now ............" I took a friend who’s a client with me on a cruise last year when I helped him appoint his successor to run his business. The deal was that I took his mobile phone off of him and he had absolutely no contact with his business for 10 days. Personally I NEVER carry a mobile phone as a matter of principle and self-discipline.

To many cruising is about escapism, and detaching the umbilical chord, with all the realities of every day life left behind. Pure and enforced escapism. I fear that in the same way that a single uncontrolled brat on a small cruise ship can ruin it for many, a few mobile ‘phones going off in any of the public areas will significantly change the experience for many as well. It's just one more thing. I hope it doesn’t become a retrograde step.

Jeff

Well, this new service interests me, as some elderly family members are not in good health, and I want the ability to "stay in touch" with them a little better than has been possible on past cruises. And we will be cruising Silversea in Sept. '06 for 10 days. As for us, we will probably leave the cell phone in our suite when we are in different parts of the ship --- it has voice mail which I can check fairly often. Also, most cell phones can be set to vibrate only, which would seem the polite thing to do if situations required my carrying the phone with me on shore and other parts of the ship.

Now, does anybody know the cost of this service?

Thanks,

Richard

On our cruise in Sept.there was one gentleman who I swear had his cell phone glued to his ear everywhere he went there was the phone.He talked in the bars,in the dining room,on tours,walking around the ship..I can't say for it was 24/7,but it would not surprise me.And yes, he talked loud even when comments were directed in his direction.he told anyone who would listen he was important.By the end of the cruise I don't think anyone would go near him.IMHO SS should post some signs here and there that cell phones should be turned off or put on vibrate at least so those who have no clue that just maybe they are being obnoxious would get the hint.Just my thought.

Yes, in the process where Silversea signs one up for this service, there should be a contractual provision requiring "vibration only or off" in restaurants, and lounges. I want to give the "guy will cell phone glued to ear" the benefit of the doubt, as perhaps he had emergencies in his life of some sort back home. Or perhaps he was just rude.

With such a contractual provision, the ship's staff could politely approach the "violater" and remind him/her of the terms of the contract.

Still waiting for info on the cost of this program.

Thanks,

Richard

We just waited until we were in port to check our messages via our cell phones, and of course, we stayed in our suite to do so. Does anyone really *need* to use their cell phones 24/7 on a cruise?

Just my 2 cents, but these "important businessmen" who feel the need to use their cell phones in public, wouldn't we be much more "impressed" by them if they bragged to us about their in-suite phone usage at, what is it, $9.50 a minute?

We just waited until we were in port to check our messages via our cell phones, and of course, we stayed in our suite to do so. Does anyone really *need* to use their cell phones 24/7 on a cruise?

Just my 2 cents, but these "important businessmen" who feel the need to use their cell phones in public, wouldn't we be much more "impressed" by them if they bragged to us about their in-suite phone usage at, what is it, $9.50 a minute?

On the basis that society survived quite well for several thousand years without being in touch for what is for some now becoming "every moment of their life" - I absolutely agree. The generation just moving into adult-hood today will have some members who feel that to "be competitive" they'll effectively have their phone switched on for the rest of their lives. It's an awful thought.

To me it's not a "vibrate" "non-vibrate" issue - it's the whole conversation. And it's my wife that suffers ...........

What happens is, the conversation starts, normally whilst we're enjoying the ambience of a wonderful lunch. The mobile phone conversation starts at the next table, I say something like "I'm going to go over and take his phone from his ear, take his wine out of the wine bucket and drop his phone into his wine -bucket" Wife says "Don't you dare ......."

Whisper is going to be the first ship.

Jeff

Cell phones are becoming an epidemic with teenagers. I feel cell phone etiquitte should be a required course in all high schools.

Sure glad I don't have a teenager. Their cellphone bills must be outrageous.

Archived