OB booking possibilities gone?

Pingus

And this is further complicated by the new offers of a "3 category" upgrade. So for example, if you choose " we select your suite" a v2 is the same price as a v5 but on a "guarantee" basis within the v5 category. So the answer is: yes, you can chose a v5 and select your suite and pay the higher price, or take the offer and be assigned anywhere within the v5 category at the lower "offer" price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've now found some more OBs advertised by my TA in Reading. Have spent most of the day today on their website trying to find something that appeals at a price that isn't, IMO, completely crazy. The SB pricing appears to be all over the place this year, much more so than previously.

I've actually found a couple of Regent cruises that are much better priced than comparable SB voyages. So far I've always found Regent to be much more expensive. Not sure I'm ready to take the leap to Regent though.

I'll keep looking for a little while longer.

It would be unusual for Regent to be lower price, as I find their pricing much higher even after factoring in business class air. They also play a much more deceptive pricing game than Seabourn. For example, the endless emails, mailings and "book now before the price increases " threatening emails. Having said that, we did enjoy our one Regent cruise so if the price and itinerary is right then I would perhaps give them a test cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ab21au, Seabourn seem to be using that marketing strategy more these days, in lieu of the previously more common "guarantee" or OB strategy.

I have recently booked two cruises on Encore, selecting a V5 suite, but only paying a V2 price. After a few weeks, I have noticed that the V5 prices have reverted back to higher levels, I guess because the allocation of suites at the "special" rate has gone. So then I have the psychological high of "wow I got a great deal!"

In the end I have have paid more than I normally would though, as I quite often book OB on the Quest, Sojourn and Odyssey (the price is always lower than a V1), and I take my chances on suite allocation. So now Seabourn has extracted more $'s from me (very clever of them!), but I have secured a specific V5 suite (albeit at a "discounted" rate) and that is a cost I am prepared to pay on the Encore with its smaller V1 suites near the front, and modified bathroom arrangements in some suites.

I suspect this new marketing strategy is delivering much higher revenues than the OB approach!

Ab21au, Seabourn seem to be using that marketing strategy more these days, in lieu of the previously more common "guarantee" or OB strategy.

I have recently booked two cruises on Encore, selecting a V5 suite, but only paying a V2 price. After a few weeks, I have noticed that the V5 prices have reverted back to higher levels, I guess because the allocation of suites at the "special" rate has gone. So then I have the psychological high of "wow I got a great deal!"

We did the same, picked a V5 suite for the guarantee price during the Set Sail Event sale. I think it is a matter of timing. Which means we have to be constantly looking at the SB website.

I suspect that cruise pricing is now a bit like airline fares, what is offered can vary depending on the bookings. A heavily booked cruise, fares will go up and lightly booked, fares will drop. This is to be expected.

The V1 suites also concerned us which is why we also wanted to pick a specific suite. At least for now, until a pattern of allocation of these occurs over time.

Edited by ab21au
info added

Yes, although the prices seem jumbled up. Normally they align lower to higher with the sequence of category numbers. These seem random.

I think there is a data entry clerk making errors. We got a (pay more) upgrade offer that clearly had an extra digit and the current OB price on the May 11 Sojourn is nonsensical and must be a typo. If Seabourn/HAL follows this forum they may want to look into.

Is this what you mean?

0D5E5107-2A31-4763-AF8D-A8BB1D4F9470_zpsi4op8uu3.png

I think the Japan to Alaska price could be right - it is essentially a crossing, and was originally less per day than average. However - though I sort of understand what is happening - there are huge differences in per day prices than ever before, from approx. £210 up to £500 per day. I do realise that these cruises are in different parts of the world, and obviously some will be considered more desirable, but even so.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out - whether SB manage to fill the ships at these to my mind inflated prices or not. Certainly there is still quite a lot of availability on some coming up soon, with just a slight reduction in prices so far, but none as far as I can see on Sold Out, which did happen last year.

I can't figure out how to get a screen shot, but I am seeing OB going for $24,700 (yes, $24,700!) when V1 is going for $6799 and A oceanview at $5999 and penthouse is $14,999. So $24,700 is a pretty bizarre price for OB. Has to be a typo. Maybe UK screen shows differently? I'm east coast, US.

I think the Japan to Alaska price could be right - it is essentially a crossing, and was originally less per day than average. However - though I sort of understand what is happening - there are huge differences in per day prices than ever before, from approx. £210 up to £500 per day. I do realise that these cruises are in different parts of the world, and obviously some will be considered more desirable, but even so.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out - whether SB manage to fill the ships at these to my mind inflated prices or not. Certainly there is still quite a lot of availability on some coming up soon, with just a slight reduction in prices so far, but none as far as I can see on Sold Out, which did happen last year.

I have just copied this from the UK site for Japan to Alaska on the 11th May will now delve deeper to see if any OBs available

OCEAN

VIEW SUITE

£5,199 *

VERANDA

SUITE

£5,599 *

PENTHOUSE

SUITE

£12,499 *

OWNER'S

SUITE

£24,999 *

Reserve

Sorry. Tried to paste a screen shot. $$. Verandah. OB.

21-DAY KUROSHIO ROUTE & ALASKA

DEPARTS: Kobe, Japan

ARRIVES: Seattle, Washington, US

Reserve

21-DAY KUROSHIO ROUTE & ALASKA

DEPARTS: Kobe, Japan

ARRIVES: Seattle, Washington, US

Reserve

Seabourn Sojourn

May 11, 2017

2 Guests

OSQ-Oceanview.jpg

OCEAN VIEW SUITE

From US$5,999 *

OSQ-VerandaSuite.jpg

VERANDA SUITE

From US$6,799 *

OSQ-Penthouse.jpg

PENTHOUSE SUITE

From US$14,999 *

OSQ-OwnerSuite.jpg

OWNER'S SUITE

From US$29,999 *

*Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are an additional US$585

*Fares shown are in US$, per person, based on double occupancy. Fares reflect best fare available for a suite in each category, on one date that this itinerary is available from a snapshot taken in the last 24 hours. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses. View Pricing Terms. Protect your investment with SeabournShield™.

Itinerary

Suite Fares

Ship: Seabourn Sojourn

View Deck Plan PORT NOTES:

<li ng-repeat="portFlag in $ctrl.portNotes" class="detailsSidebar" style="box-sizing: border-box; list-style-type: none;">CO Cruising Only<li ng-repeat="portFlag in $ctrl.portNotes" class="detailsSidebar" style="box-sizing: border-box; list-style-type: none;">RT Route Subject To Weather/Ice

Wintergarden Suite

(WG)

US$39,999

Signature Suite

(SS)

US$32,999

Owner's Suite

(OW)

US$29,999

Penthouse Suite

(PH)

US$14,999

Veranda Suite

(V6)

US$9,299

Veranda Suite

(V5)

US$8,699

Veranda Suite

(V3)

US$7,799

Veranda Suite

(V2)

US$7,299

Veranda Suite

(V1)

US$6,799

Veranda Suite

(OB)

US$24,700

Ocean View Suite

(A1)

US$6,199

Ocean View Suite

(A)

US$5,999

*Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are an additional US$585

I have just copied this from the UK site for Japan to Alaska on the 11th May will now delve deeper to see if any OBs available

OCEAN

VIEW SUITE

£5,199 *

VERANDA

SUITE

£5,599 *

PENTHOUSE

SUITE

£12,499 *

OWNER'S

SUITE

£24,999 *

Reserve

Edited by jozi
Missing picture

Today's prices on one of the well-known UK TAs for this cruise is - I imagine a guarantee in that particular grade, and of course cruise only - £4,679 A grade, £5,039 V1 and £6,819 V6.

If you should wish to do this cruise it is at a good per day price, at a starting £229 per day. Not one I have any wish to do, however.

Having said the above, looking at the itinerary it would be a great cruise for anyone who would like to see a few places in Japan, various ports in Alaska, and who enjoys sea days, especially if ending up in the USA would be good.

Having said the above, looking at the itinerary it would be a great cruise for anyone who would like to see a few places in Japan, various ports in Alaska, and who enjoys sea days, especially if ending up in the USA would be good.

Yes, it's a very cool itinerary and there are a lot of people on the roll call, most of us US folks. (Including a lot of hard core trivia fans!) But one needs to be able to travel for an extended time, especially assuming most people are going to spend some time in Japan first. (And I'd guess one needs good sea legs as it's pretty far north.)

My point was only about the (recent) error in the US pricing of the OB option, otherwise the pricing appears to be a very good value.