Travel insurance for heart bypass.

MONKEY20

My wife has just had a heart bypass and pacemaker fitted (march 2017)

Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company.

We have a cruise booked for August and am not sure if to cancel due to her not being fit enough.

What are P&Os policy to medical consitions.

Many thanks

Ian

Try this website for information - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/pre-existing-travel-insurance

You should find everything you need to know there. I have found with medical screening that they often ask if you have had a procedure in the past 6 weeks. If you enter say heart failure it will ask questions about bypass surgery, ability to walk 200 metres, blood pressure and cholesterol for example. You may have to also mention the pacemaker.

If there is a problem because the procedure is so recent and she will still be under close observation by her cardiac team, it is always possible to ask for insurance excluding certain pre-existing conditions. It should get easier as time goes by. You might want to consider postponing the cruise for a year.

I have used Avanti and StaySure in the past.

And I am sure that P&O will charge you fully for any medical treatment if you do not have insurance. And evacuation or diversion of the ship will be very expensive indeed. But you are free to travel unless it is against the advice of a doctor and you have proper insurance although they don't check as far as I know. They take your word for it.

Do you want to take the risk!!

My wife has just had a heart bypass and pacemaker fitted (march 2017)

Can anyone recommend a good travel insurance company.

We have a cruise booked for August and am not sure if to cancel due to her not being fit enough.

What are P&Os policy to medical consitions.

Ian

In the past I have used AllClear, although not the last couple of times because they seem to have gone downhill if ratings are anything to go by. Last time I used InsuranceWith, who were very good regarding investigations my husband was undergoing for a potentially serious condition (thankfully came to nothing) and his sleep apnoea. For our forthcoming cruise I have gone with LV - same cover as InsuranceWith, but significantly cheaper.

You have to state that you have insurance to travel with P&O, it is your responsibility to ensure that it adequately covers any medical conditions you may have and treatment you may subsequently require, including medical evacuation from this ship. You will be charged for any treatment you require, starting at about £50 for a consultation if I recall correctly. I'm not aware of P&O applying any travel restrictions on people who have recently had major operations, but I'm sure this will be in their T&Cs somewhere.

I hope your wife makes a speedy recovery, that you find suitable insurance and are able to enjoy a lovely cruise with your wife.

Medevac and air ambulance fees can run into hundreds of thousands of Pounds. Ships Doctors want you off the ship at the first signs of heart problems and into a fully functional hospital. Whatever insurance you buy make sure that cruises and evacuations from sea are included. Always phone and ask the company those specific questions, the recorded calls will act as proof that you made sure you were appropriately covered.The devil is in the detail.

This guide helped us with pre existing conditions in travel insurance: https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

The WHEN to buy travel insurance indicates what coverages you have for trip cancellation. If you did not buy travel insurance @ time of initial deposit, you likely cannot obtain trip cancellation coverages now.

http://blog.csatravelprotection.com/index.php/when-you-should-buy-travel-insurance/

We have used justtravelcover for my father-in-law who has various on-going conditions and is 85. I would give them a try first, there are quite a lot of questions you have to answer on-line, not cheap but at least he is covered, is was £236 for four of us for a week, which wasn't the cheapest they offered but I usually go with the middle quote. We have used Staysure in the past but when I entered his age it said I would have to call to get a quote. Tried LV they gave me a quote, thought the price was very good but when I went on to purchase I found that all his medical conditions were not covered.

This guide helped us with pre existing conditions in travel insurance: https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

The WHEN to buy travel insurance indicates what coverages you have for trip cancellation. If you did not buy travel insurance @ time of initial deposit, you likely cannot obtain trip cancellation coverages now.

http://blog.csatravelprotection.com/index.php/when-you-should-buy-travel-insurance/

This is not the case here in the U.K. You can obtain cancellation cover any time right up to the time of departure, regardless of when the initial deposit was paid.

We never insure a trip until the day before the final balance is due. As we have to pay high premiums for cover, it is more cost effective to gamble on the deposit than to insure it. Our premiums are always higher than the deposit.

Val