First timers for a cruise so looking for a little advice

Nicalun

hi all first time cruisers going in July in RC jewel of the seas. Crowd of us going from age 8 to 50 inc teenagers. Are they very strict on long trousers in the restaurant and does this inc teenage boys? Also can child do the captains night? Thanks for the help prob have a million more questions before going lol ;p

hi all first time cruisers going in July in RC jewel of the seas. Crowd of us going from age 8 to 50 inc teenagers. Are they very strict on long trousers in the restaurant and does this inc teenage boys? Also can child do the captains night? Thanks for the help prob have a million more questions before going lol ;p

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The cruise line does not enforce any dress suggestions, you can wear whatever you want.

Visit the dedicated RC forum if you have more questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Here is the current RCCL dress code:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

Shorts are permitted at breakfast and lunch in the MDR but not for dinner.

For ladies, you can wear pants, dresses, skirts, maxi dresses. Even on formal night a nicer maxi dress is fine or you could wear a black dress and fancy shoes - plenty good enough. Men mostly wear suits on formal night. One tip is that if you are eating at a specialty restaurant on formal night you can go resort casual. This is what my husband and I typically do if we don't want to dress up.

My daughter at age 13 didn't want to dress up for dinner (not even smart casual) so she ate in the buffet or at the poolside grill or pizzeria. But two years later, she wanted to dress up (in her own style, but still) for dinner as she was spending time with others in her age group. I think teenaged boys for the most part want to impress their female peers. So encourage them to bring at least a pair or two of slacks -- they might regret it if they don't bring some. And we're not talking about tuxes and prom dress for the teens.

My daughter (18) will not wear a dress full stop. For formal night she plans to wear a suit of trousers and waistcoat (no jacket) with a shirt and a bow tie. How is that likely to go down, anyone know? Also on RCI can you wear smart shorts in the bars in the evening and what about smart jeans please? Thanks!

My daughter (18) will not wear a dress full stop. For formal night she plans to wear a suit of trousers and waistcoat (no jacket) with a shirt and a bow tie. How is that likely to go down, anyone know? Also on RCI can you wear smart shorts in the bars in the evening and what about smart jeans please? Thanks!

The trousers and waistcoat should be fine. She could also wear trousers and a fancy top. RCCL is not as dressy as it used to be. I wear a maxi dress on formal nights. Shorts in the bars in the evening should be OK and nice jeans (not ragged or distressed) should be fine as well except on formal night. But this would mean that whoever wanted to wear shorts would have to go back to the stateroom to change after dinner, which seems like a lot of trouble to go to.