Washington, DC to Baltimore’s cruise terminal

2travelcats

Hi - hoping someone will help with my plans for travel from Washington, DC to Baltimore’s cruise terminal.

We will spend a few days in Washington, DC before traveling on Saturday, May 27th to Baltimore’s cruise terminal to embark on the RCI Grandeur.

We have a reservation for a hotel right across the street from Washington's Union Station so I think it makes sense to take a train from Union Station to Baltimore's Penn station and then a taxi to the Cruise Maryland Terminal. We are able to handle our own luggage.

I see that MARC now has weekend service and is cheaper, but I can’t see if tickets come with reserved seats as Amtrak’s tickets do.

Also, I'm wondering if trains fill up early and I should buy tickets online now if I have a preferred time to travel. I see I can do this on Amtrak but I don’t see this option with MARC.

Should I go ahead and make a reservation with Amtrak?

Thank you for any suggestions you can make - Johnette

Hi - hoping someone will help with my plans for travel from Washington, DC to Baltimore’s cruise terminal.

We will spend a few days in Washington, DC before traveling on Saturday, May 27th to Baltimore’s cruise terminal to embark on the RCI Grandeur.

We have a reservation for a hotel right across the street from Washington's Union Station so I think it makes sense to take a train from Union Station to Baltimore's Penn station and then a taxi to the Cruise Maryland Terminal. We are able to handle our own luggage.

I see that MARC now has weekend service and is cheaper, but I can’t see if tickets come with reserved seats as Amtrak’s tickets do.

Also, I'm wondering if trains fill up early and I should buy tickets online now if I have a preferred time to travel. I see I can do this on Amtrak but I don’t see this option with MARC.

Should I go ahead and make a reservation with Amtrak?

Thank you for any suggestions you can make - Johnette

That is the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. Didn't know MARC now runs on the weekend.

Amtrak is reserved but not a specific reserved seat (they only sell as many tickets as there are seats, but the seats themselves are not reserved). I doubt very much that either train will sell out. The ride between Union Station and Baltimore is about 30 minutes (it only makes two stops between DC and Baltimore - New Carrollton and BWI).

I suggest that if you do decide to use Amtrak, when you get to Union Station, go to the Red Cap stand. The Red Cap will take your luggage and get you on the train before the general population (no waiting in line) - totally worth the tip $$. This way you can all sit together.

That is the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. Didn't know MARC now runs on the weekend.

Amtrak is reserved but not a specific reserved seat (they only sell as many tickets as there are seats, but the seats themselves are not reserved). I doubt very much that either train will sell out. The ride between Union Station and Baltimore is about 30 minutes (it only makes two stops between DC and Baltimore - New Carrollton and BWI).

I suggest that if you do decide to use Amtrak, when you get to Union Station, go to the Red Cap stand. The Red Cap will take your luggage and get you on the train before the general population (no waiting in line) - totally worth the tip $$. This way you can all sit together.

Amtrak does not have baggage check in on their Northeast corridor trains

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Amtrak does not have baggage check in on their Northeast corridor trains

Tony - I never said checked baggage. At Union Station, the RedCaps will assist getting you on board with your luggage. I do this all the time. The red cap will "carry" your suitcase and place it on the train for you. It gets you on the train before the general population and you get your pick of seats. There's no charge - just a tip for the red cap. In my opinion well worth a few $$.

Tony - I never said checked baggage. At Union Station, the RedCaps will assist getting you on board with your luggage. I do this all the time. The red cap will "carry" your suitcase and place it on the train for you. It gets you on the train before the general population and you get your pick of seats. There's no charge - just a tip for the red cap. In my opinion well worth a few $$.

Big +1! We do this all the time unless the train boards adjacent to the Acela Club (we get in on my United membership).

To the OP: I would check on MARC service that weekend since it is a holiday. Keep in mind MARC is a commuter train, and I don't believe it has any real luggage space. Amtrak has space at the front and back of each car for luggage. If you are doing Amtrak, those Saver fares you see (if you see them) are non-refundable and limited. They also are typically a very good deal. You have to buy them early, though, as they will sell out.

I NEVER said you did.

It was more information added to your information .

But I guess more information is not allowed