Serious Studio Cabin Questions

caddykid12

The main problematic light is a sort of nightlight that emanates from the little magazine shelf above the bed, no way to turn it off but you can block it with papers or something (you'll see what I mean). It's a faint blue glow.

Studio cabins have the odd noise--plumbing, crew carts moving around, maybe your neighbor playing music while getting ready to go out. As someone who has overly keen hearing, you really just can't get a silent room on any ship. Try not to pick a cabin next to what looks like a big blank space--in the studio area, that's a trap! It's not blank, it's a crew area where they may be moving noisy stuff in and out, or running a huge ice machine (learned the hard way). You're better off taking your chances sharing a wall with neighbors.

Either way you really need a white noise machine if noises will be a problem, or some other solution. On my cruise where I could hear my neighbor's music while she was getting ready every night for dinner etc, I just put in some earbuds and listened to podcasts or white noise. In the end you can only control your own ears.

I sailed last December, and found the power button for the light above the bed is flush with the panel. It can be turned on and off. Stateroom 11517.

• Like 1

When I said 10537 I meant the Getaway, to be clear.

11507 looks like the best bet of those.

Have to stress again that you will not get a "silent" room on any ship. Have you cruised before, out of curiosity? The ships are made of metal blocks, which can transfer sound from really random places, the plumbing is loud (sounds like water rushing in the walls), things creak, your hangers in the closet will rock back and forth when the seas are heavy, etc. I'd really recommend a cheap light Bluetooth speaker and the app "SimplyNoise" on your phone.

I've cruised many times. I can tell the cabins are thinner or at least seem to be thinner making the walls thinner. As I've heard complaints about all NCL ships. The walls are like paper.

I'm always balcony or suite. So being dead center of ship also assuming there are more plumming features that run top to bottom of the ship.

I sailed last December, and found the power button for the light above the bed is flush with the panel. It can be turned on and off. Stateroom 11517.

Oh interesting. I've missed this so far, will see if it's the same on GA.

Do u recall what was across to ur room? It looks like u were the last cabin on the right but seems the hallway went left then stopped. Was that a dead end or a storage room for carts? Thanks

The main problematic light is a sort of nightlight that emanates from the little magazine shelf above the bed, no way to turn it off but you can block it with papers or something (you'll see what I mean). It's a faint blue glow.

I'm going to meet my parents this week to stay in their RV for a week-- my dad knows to have his post-it notes and tape ready to cover all the lights around where I sleep. I need it TOTALLY dark-- this light on the shelf was not going to work for me AT ALL-- I mentioned something to my room steward and when I came back that night, he had covered it with dark tape. When I do the BA again, I'm going to come prepared in case my room steward isn't helpful. It would have totally ruined my cruise (as I wouldn't have been able to sleep at all!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do people party in the studio lounge? Or only gather in there when the dailies has something planned

I've been in a studio only once and it was on the Epic. The only times I saw more than a few people in the lounge was for the solo meetup. Our roll call had a cabin crawl which started in my studio so about 20 people from the roll call were in the studio lounge for maybe 10 minutes. Usually I didn't see anyone else in the lounge at all. The only times I went to the lounge was to get a cappuccino in the morning (it was a nice quiet place to start my day) and another cappuccino or a cookie before I went to my cabin for the night. If there were a sea view from the lounge, I suspect it would be a different story.

As far as having a party in the lounge...not even close.

Hello, I stayed in 12513 on the Epic and had no problems- I did bring earplugs and it was a non connecting studio which I recommend. I also learned from someone on the Epic to remove the hangers from the closet as they might make noise when the ship moves. Although I upgraded to a balcony the last 2x i went I was perfectly content in the studio.

Has anyone stayed in 12573 on the Escape? I booked it 2x next year.

• 7 months later...

I am taking 12569 on the escape in January but can anyone else suggest a better location for quietness?

I don’t mind hearing showers and toilets next door but I don’t want to be near any service areas. I do like to sleep in. 12569 has no service areas in its corridor, but it’s wall borders a blank space on the map. I’m not sure whether that’s a stairwell, pipes room, what?

I am taking 12569 on the escape in January but can anyone else suggest a better location for quietness?

I don’t mind hearing showers and toilets next door but I don’t want to be near any service areas. I do like to sleep in. 12569 has no service areas in its corridor, but it’s wall borders a blank space on the map. I’m not sure whether that’s a stairwell, pipes room, what?

I haven’t been on the escape, but I always try to avoid those blank spaces when picking a room.

Very quiet cabin when I resided in it.

Thank you for the reply. I agree it was fairly quiet. A few nights when I crashed early, I heard a live band. I never did figure out where it came from but it was over by the time I was ready to fall asleep.

HI all!

I had 11507 on Escape in Oct & the only noise I heard was the occasional flush of a toilet. The location was handy for using the lounge which was barely used except for the get together with the solo host. Once in a while officers or the spa staff would come in to use the coffee machine. I would choose it again.

billslowsky ~ yes there are perks of the lounge, cookies, cake, the lovely coffee machine, OJ, cold water, light breakfast items, a pay for wine by the glass machine, a quiet place to read/use your smart phone & a place to occasionally meet other solos & get to know them a bit,

I have also had 4 studio experiences on Epic & 2 on Getaway with no problems.

~ Jo ~ :)

Edited by retiring soon
adding a reply

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if there is more than one entrance door to the studios on deck 12 on the ESCAPE?

The NCL rep said there was at least one near the lounge but wasn't sure about any others. I'm traveling  with some couples who may stay near the studios and they want to be near an entrance to the studios.

thanks all...