Flights for Med Fly Cruise

tring

Have just booked Oceana, flying from Manchester to Malta on the 4/10/18 for 24 nights, sailing back to Southampton.

Not done a P&O fly cruise for some years, so have a few queries about what normally happens (I realise it is too early to know for sure):-

How much luggage allowance is normally given and can you buy extra weight if needed?

When are we given flight details and can we book our seats on the plane (if so when)?

Are there usually options for upgraded flight seats (extra legroom or premium) and if so when can we book these?

One more query - are ships like Oceana currently allowed to sail into Venice past St Marks Square? I remember this was to be stopped, then I think I saw something saying they had changed their minds.

Have just booked Oceana, flying from Manchester to Malta on the 4/10/18 for 24 nights, sailing back to Southampton.

Not done a P&O fly cruise for some years, so have a few queries about what normally happens (I realise it is too early to know for sure):-

How much luggage allowance is normally given and can you buy extra weight if needed?

When are we given flight details and can we book our seats on the plane (if so when)?

Are there usually options for upgraded flight seats (extra legroom or premium) and if so when can we book these?

One more query - are ships like Oceana currently allowed to sail into Venice past St Marks Square? I remember this was to be stopped, then I think I saw something saying they had changed their minds.

Goto P&O Frequently Asked Questions then you can get the facts from the horse's mouth.

Yes, cruise ship are still being allowed to pass thru the Giudecca Canal but could change.

Goto P&O Frequently Asked Questions then you can get the facts from the horse's mouth.

Yes, cruise ship are still being allowed to pass thru the Giudecca Canal but could change.

Thanks for that - interesting about Venice, hope it is still the same when we go.

I had searched the P&O site before, but have found some more info. now, albeit somewhat conflicting. Looks like they use lots of flights, so we will just have to wait and see.

We have also just booked for this cruise but we are flying from Bristol. This also after many years of cruising is our first fly cruise and we will be v interested In any replies to your post. I asked my TA about selecting seats and was told that I would have all that info nearer the time.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app

How much luggage allowance is normally given and can you buy extra weight if needed? Normally around 23kg each in the hold. It will depend on the airline really (Thomson or Thomas Cook probably).Yes, you can buy extra luggage allowance, normally a few days prior to departure. Don't be tempted to leave it until you get to the airport, though. The P&O FAQS will give you the costs, etc.

When are we given flight details and can we book our seats on the plane (if so when)? Yes, you can - approximately 90 days before sailing date. There will be additional cost.

Are there usually options for upgraded flight seats (extra legroom or premium) and if so when can we book these? Yes there are options. No Premium Economy as it is a short haul flight, but you can book extra legroom seats. These seats won't give you additional luggage allowance or wider seats, just extra legroom.

Hope that helps. We are on Oceana next month - looking forward to discovering why her ardent fans love her. Enjoy your cruise!

We have flown out from Manchester twice now to Oceana. We were allocated Thomson and Thomas Cook and on both occasions had a fabulous flight and 23 kgs. We left the luggage at check in and the next time we saw it it was sitting outside our cabin. The same on return.

We do find that P&O do a fabulous fly / cruise experience.

Re Venice - we have sailed out of Venice twice on her since the ban. I imagine that is why she replaced Ventura who used to do the Med. cruises.

If you want a superb pre flight stay check the Radisson out --- not cheap but it is amazing ;-)

We love the ship --- not the youngest, but the crew are happy and it is a friendly ship with an amazing atrium :-)

Thank you for those replies, especially about the purchase of extra luggage allowance.

We have been on Oceana twice but a few years ago. Once for 4 weeks in the Caribbean and a couple of years later (Feb 2013) we did a 24 night to the Eastern Med. We were quite happy both times, but of course things have probably changed a bit since then. We were impressed that Freedom dining worked very well - could usually walk straight into the restaurant when we wanted or were given a pager a couple of times. Our comparison was Oriana a couple of years ago when we usually had to queue for up to 3/4 hour to get seated in the restaurant - pagers were not given. I think Oceana has more open deck space than some of the other mid sized ships. We always got sunbeds somewhere, even if not our ideal spot, although we tend to go out on deck fairly late.

The downside, as I understand it, is that the cabins are quite small, but they are well designed so even our inside did not feel cramped. Also, from what I have read, she is less manoeuvrable than Aurora and Oriana, so can be less likely to get into a port if the weather is not good. I think that is why she has always tended to be sent to the Caribbean (and now the Med) for the winter.

We are happy to book another cruise on her and hope you enjoy yours, Nautical Miss,

Barbara