Gate One river cruise

Lou Werhane

Just returned from an Avalon Danube cruise from Prague to Budapest-we had a great time and ran into a couple at the Budapest airport that had done he same itinerary on Gate 1 - they were very pleased with their experience with Gate 1.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Roz

I have only done one Gate1 - land + Amazon cruise in Peru. I used a US TA. Might vary between booking countries or even between type of trip.

Thom

Thanks, Thom.

Thank-you for all of the information. My husband and I will be leaving on May 20 for the 14 day Amsterdam to Budapest cruise aboard the Monarch Queen. This is our first European river cruise, but our 5th trip with Gate 1. Never have we felt like we missed out by not taking the more expensive tours. I am hoping that Gate 1 will pull through with flying colors once again.

We have done several Gate1 land tours and loved them all! We also have done 2 river cruises with Gate1 and had a wonderful time on both of them. We are taking our first river cruise in Viking next spring- it will be interesting to see what the difference is since Viking is definitely a higher cost than Gate1.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Denise,

That is just the information I wanted to hear, thank you so very much. Any more info you are able to give is much appreciated. Surprised that you don't spend longer in towns but that's life.

After reaching Rudesheim at 6 we had 3 hours to wander the village before we left at 10 for Mannheim where we arrived at 7 the next morning

We did the optional Heidelberg tour leaving at 9 am so didn`t see anything of Mannheim

After the tour we had 1 1/2 hours free time to wander the town.

Back to the ship for 12 departure. At 3.30 we docked at Speyer where we could walk to town and visit the cathedral.

Sailed at 8 leaving someone behind. So many different departure times you needed your wits about you if you wanted to do your own thing.

Next morning Strasbourg 9 am city tour by bus, followed by walking tour 1 hour of centre and 1 hour free time before returning on the bus. We were given good instructions how to catch the bus between town and port and many took advantage of this,

Left at 10 pm.

Saturday was a change of itinerary and we docked at Schonau took a bus to Maginot Line museum and then on to Breisach where we had an hour walking tour up a very steep hill. Some felt it wasn`t worth the effort.

Ship arrived at Beisach moored just next to town.Left at 7.going to Basel where we disembarked at 9.30

Lot of the Aussies on the tour and they were all wondering <what`s the catch> and all were happy to find it wasn`t <too good to be true>

I always do lots of preparation but really didn`t know what to expect on my first river cruise.

Next time I`ll look at the towns and be more prepared for extra things I want to see.

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking the Monarch Baroness from Amsterdam to Budapest on July 29th. We will be going to Amsterdam a couple of days early. We've been there before so we aren't looking for specific advice.

Would like any suggestions for things not to miss on the rest of the trip to Budapest. Once in Budapest we are transferring by car to Venice for 2 more days prior to returning.

• 2 weeks later...
After reaching Rudesheim at 6 we had 3 hours to wander the village before we left at 10 for Mannheim where we arrived at 7 the next morning

We did the optional Heidelberg tour leaving at 9 am so didn`t see anything of Mannheim

After the tour we had 1 1/2 hours free time to wander the town.

Back to the ship for 12 departure. At 3.30 we docked at Speyer where we could walk to town and visit the cathedral.

Sailed at 8 leaving someone behind. So many different departure times you needed your wits about you if you wanted to do your own thing.

Next morning Strasbourg 9 am city tour by bus, followed by walking tour 1 hour of centre and 1 hour free time before returning on the bus. We were given good instructions how to catch the bus between town and port and many took advantage of this,

Left at 10 pm.

Saturday was a change of itinerary and we docked at Schonau took a bus to Maginot Line museum and then on to Breisach where we had an hour walking tour up a very steep hill. Some felt it wasn`t worth the effort.

Ship arrived at Beisach moored just next to town.Left at 7.going to Basel where we disembarked at 9.30

Lot of the Aussies on the tour and they were all wondering <what`s the catch> and all were happy to find it wasn`t <too good to be true>

I always do lots of preparation but really didn`t know what to expect on my first river cruise.

Next time I`ll look at the towns and be more prepared for extra things I want to see.

We will be on the Baroness this coming fall. Is there anything like soda pop or juice to drink at dinner?

We will be on the Baroness this coming fall. Is there anything like soda pop or juice to drink at dinner?

We're on board now...

Yes but it's very expensive. Almost €4...per glass..It's not included with your meals but beer and wine is. And when you order a drink with soda as a mix..it's extra. We picked some up in port...they provide 2 bottles of water per day and ask you to refill them from the tap if you want more...or buy it.

I always do lots of preparation but really didn`t know what to expect on my first river cruise. Next time I`ll look at the towns and be more prepared for extra things I want to see.

Hi DennyGirl

Based on your experience what are your thoughts about planning ahead? Would you escape for breakfast, lunches and dinners instead of using the ship? bring maps? locate restaurants beforehand? Bring a list of landmarks or sites that you would like to visit with extra time?

Is it best to bring printed maps for the cities, or are they available on-board the ship? Or, rely upon GPS and apps like GPSMYCITY ?

thank you!

Hi DennyGirl

Based on your experience what are your thoughts about planning ahead? Would you escape for breakfast, lunches and dinners instead of using the ship? bring maps? locate restaurants beforehand? Bring a list of landmarks or sites that you would like to visit with extra time?

Is it best to bring printed maps for the cities, or are they available on-board the ship? Or, rely upon GPS and apps like GPSMYCITY ?

thank you!

We were supplied with a city map every day on the Monarch Queen. We did eat all of our meals on the ship although some would stay in town for lunch and explore on their own before returning to the ship. When the city center was more than 15 minutes walk, a shuttle was supplied to us to go into town and then pick us up at a designated place and time. In some cities we had 2 times available to return to the ship. My suggestion is to check tripadvisor before arriving in each city to find out you would like to do.

Hi ChampMason-

Thank you, I just found your review of the Amsterdam>Budapest trip, great information. We are going to be on the same ship - Monarch Queen, but for a much shorter version of your journey from Regensburg to Budapest.

When and how does everyone get the days itinerary and when they need to return to the ship?

thanks again.

We're on board now...

Yes but it's very expensive. Almost €4...per glass..It's not included with your meals but beer and wine is. And when you order a drink with soda as a mix..it's extra. We picked some up in port...they provide 2 bottles of water per day and ask you to refill them from the tap if you want more...or buy it.

I find this amazing, wine and beer is more expensive than simple soft drink. It is encouraging people to drink alcohol and perhaps more than they really should as the alternative is so expensive.

Half of our group of 8 are non drinkers so I guess we either begin to drink or pay for it.

I find this amazing, wine and beer is more expensive than simple soft drink. It is encouraging people to drink alcohol and perhaps more than they really should as the alternative is so expensive.

Half of our group of 8 are non drinkers so I guess we either begin to drink or pay for it.

In Europe soft drinks are frequently more expensive than wine or beer.

ok, i havent noticed that when travelling in Europe previously but I can understand if that is the case.

I do recall my first trip to Europe in 2001 and being shocked to find that beer was sold in mc donalds along with hamburgers.

I don't believe Gate1 uses the services of a TA. We've been traveling with Gate1 since 2001 and have always booked directly with them. I've found their representatives knowledgeable and very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you, 4Lakes. I saw on the Gate 1 website that there's a link to a place where TAs and their agencies can register to become Gate 1 representatives, so they apparently deal with TAs.

Roz

We're on board now...

Wow soda pop is expensive. It's 60 % more for us since our Canadian $ is low.

Thank you, 4Lakes. I saw on the Gate 1 website that there's a link to a place where TAs and their agencies can register to become Gate 1 representatives, so they apparently deal with TAs.

Roz

Yes they do work with TAs but you can also book directly with them.

Don't let your TA discourage you from using their phenomenal weekly promo codes, though (the commission is capped at a lower percentage when you do so) but they offer some great deals if you sign up for the weekly offers.

Wow soda pop is expensive. It's 60 % more for us since our Canadian $ is low.

AND if you get a mixed drink, they charge you for the liquor then sell you the soda to mix in. Water is as much as soda too. We got supplies and brought it on board..even picked up brandy for after dinner/sitting on the top deck coffee... it really was the only penny pinching thing we encountered ...

Yes they do work with TAs but you can also book directly with them.

Don't let your TA discourage you from using their phenomenal weekly promo codes, though (the commission is capped at a lower percentage when you do so) but they offer some great deals if you sign up for the weekly offers.

Dena, thank you for the tip on the weekly offers and promo codes.

Roz

On China tours with Grand Circle "soft drinks" were included, but wine was not. The "soft drinks" included beer, and I consider that (in moderation) to be far healthier than sugar or sweetener laced often heavily caffeinated soda drinks.

~~~~~~~

BTW I have booked Gate1 trips through a TA.