Help making the most of short Visit-Venice

musicmastimagic

I'd take a VAPORETTO along the Grand Canal (Canale Grande) to "San Marco" (that's the pier at St. Marks Square) and look around there half an hour to an hour.

Then take a Gondola from San Marco pier (you cant miss them) for 40 minutes. They will usually go under the Bridge of Sighs....

Be aware early mornings to around 9am is "rush hour" and the Vaporettos will be a bit busy.

Buy a ticket at a vending machine or kiosk. You should devaluate the ticket before getting on the Vaporetto. If you plan to take a Vaporetto more than twice, buy a 24-hour ticket. No idea if they have child tickets...

Good points!

Sorry for asking so many questions but since we have less time in Venice and to research, I don't want to go there and trying to figure out things. We have about 3-4 hours in total.

I had much longer than you have and did this, if it helps you prioritise how to spend your time. But a vap ride down the Grand Canal is a must. All the best, Tony

DQ8apgEhZBA Jh7lPFe12ao 2aYMiTZUnKw Hw3ucTjFta0

• 1 month later...
Both are not available for 13th May :(

Ladt year we stayed at the Best Western Bologna in Mestre ..easy peasy train station in front .buy tickets head to Venice ....stamp it get on train 15 minutes tops

Breakfast at hotel excellent

Restaurants in mestre a few blocks away ..deeeelicious

If you have time go to Murano

Burano ....lovely towns

Back from the trip and wanted to thank everyone for suggestions! I am in love with Venice! Seeing pictures and admiring is one thing but the feeling of being on vaporetto on grand canal tour is something different!

The hotel as I mentioned was old but very clean and perfect location. Before buying the vaporetto ticket to go to our hotel, I asked if vaporetto can also take us to cruise terminal and it did. So, we bought the 24 hours passes and saved money as I read if you are going to make more than two vaporetto trips, pass will be more economical. Thanks again and hope I get to see Venice again more some day and for bit longer next time :)

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody in this situation we did the Hop On Hop Off boat next to the Santa Lucia train station for 20 euro for 24 hours. Much less crowded than the public bus vaporetto option and you get a tour included on the boat.

Before buying the vaporetto ticket to go to our hotel, I asked if vaporetto can also take us to cruise terminal and it did.

This doesn't make sense unless there's a language issue. The public vaporetto does not go to the cruise port.

The private Alilaguna water bus does, however, so maybe that's what the OP is referring to.

Alternatively, if the OP's cruise left from San Basilio, the vaporetto does have a stop there.