On ship Wifi, social media package

eggyacid

Question for anyone with an Apple Watch.

I plan on joining the social media package but leave my phone in the room. AppleWatch will work as long as it's on the same wifi network as the phone so I can do most of my notifications on the watch instead of taking my phone out.

does it work like regular wifi? anyone knows?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if the watch works like regular wifi or if the social media package works like wifi?

If it is the latter, the social media package will enable you to utilize apps like facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc. You can communicate both with the people on the boat who have purchased the social media package and with people back home via facebook and instagram messenger. It does not provide you with internet access. You have to put your phone in airplane mode and use the ship's wifi to access the social media apps only.

Question for anyone with an Apple Watch.

I plan on joining the social media package but leave my phone in the room. AppleWatch will work as long as it's on the same wifi network as the phone so I can do most of my notifications on the watch instead of taking my phone out.

does it work like regular wifi? anyone knows?

I'd suggest you do some research on how your watch works. I believe it's just a Bluetooth device.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought the OP was referring to the social package that Carnival offers. What carnival calls "social" does not include full internet access on the carnival ships. It only provides access to certain apps. If you want to access the internet (email, news, weather, etc), you have to buy a wifi package, not the social plan.

"We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased onboard for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

• Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.
  • Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).
  • Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows."

OP. Your iWatch is a bluetooth device. As long as your iPhone is attached to the internet (whichever package you choose), you will be able to use the internet functionality, as long as you are near enough to your phone for the bluetooth to pair.

Social $5 a day works great. You can used Facebook, Facebook messenger, make sure your at home people have it download. I used my iPhone Apple messenger. If the wifi gods are good to you you can make Facebook phone calls

I just got off the Paradise on Monday. I got the social internet plan. My watch received all its notifications as long as I had my phone nearby. I was surprised that all of my app notifications came over and not just Facebook, Twitter and iMessage.