LIVE ("lite") Explorer - 4/9 to 4/19

UUNetBill

Travelcat2 I think we are all well aware that the Med will be much higher temperatures and also very very busy in high summer season, but for some of us due to work constraints and commitments not everyone has the opportunity to chose alternative dates .

This doesn't lessen the enjoyment or excitement for anyone planning a cruise at these times.

I would not assume that everyone knows the intensity of the heat. CC is a place to share this information which is what Bill was doing and I agreed with his post. There are many people that can only travel in the summer (teachers, parents with children, etc.) which is why those of us that do have a choice can select a time of the year when the weather and climate are suitable for us.

It is good that you can enjoy a cruise during the summer. Some of us simply cannot take the warm weather.

Sorry I missed everyone. I was at the pool bar at 1:30 and stayed for 10 minutes after they

announce the cabins were ready.

Jim - we had a later transfer to the ship and our first priority was to speak to the restaurant crew and the chefs to address a serious food allergy for mom's husband. By the time we'd met with everyone and got the paperwork dropped off, the cabins had been opened. Sorry we missed each other.

On the plus side, Regent managed to take perfect care of Richard throughout the trip - we had a fantastic dining experience and we had no issues whatsoever. They really did go above and beyond for him.

Regardless of anyone else's opinions, my opinion is that the Med is hot in August. Very, very hot. If you're lucky enough to get a sea breeze, it's tolerable, but that's not always the case. We will avoid the Med in August whenever possible due to the heat and the crowds. And Florida, too, for that matter. Even if the Med and Florida have comparable climates, Florida has much better air conditioning than Europe as a general rule.

As always, YMMV.

Travelcat2 I think we are all well aware that the Med will be much higher temperatures and also very very busy in high summer season, but for some of us due to work constraints and commitments not everyone has the opportunity to chose alternative dates .

This doesn't lessen the enjoyment or excitement for anyone planning a cruise at these times.

Well said and I agree. It doesn't lessen the enjoyment or excitement for sure. Nobody can claim to be an expert on weather unless you are a meteorologist.

Miles

Well said and I agree. It doesn't lessen the enjoyment or excitement for sure. Nobody can claim to be an expert on weather unless you are a meteorologist.

Miles

Miles, I must ask if you are reading what is being posted. Bill said that it was crowded in the Med. in August. I agreed with Bill and added that it was also hot.

A poster assumed that everyone knows that it is hot. I disagreed. If everyone knew the temperatures in the world, why would posters consistently ask that question on Cruise Critic?

No one claimed to know the temperatures anywhere (although I did quote a Tour Guide). Anyone could say that it is hot in Florida, Vietnam, Thailand, Dubai, The Amazon, etc. and be correct.

We have all made our opinions known -- perhaps now is a good time to stop the arguments (especially when there is really nothing to be argued about). Some people like hot weather - others do not.

Thanks Miles.

Being limited to certain times of year when we can arrange holiday times together you have to chose holidays to suit. We have never been disappointed with weather that is too hot or visitor numbers that are unmanageable. We make the best of any situation and take whatever is thrown our way weather wise. :cool: Jean.

Thanks Miles.

Being limited to certain times of year when we can arrange holiday times together you have to chose holidays to suit. We have never been disappointed with weather that is too hot or visitor numbers that are unmanageable. We make the best of any situation and take whatever is thrown our way weather wise. :cool: Jean.

Jean you are welcome. I have been traveling around the world for most of my life and pretty much know the climates as well as changes in climates. We have been to the N. Cape and to Antarctica four times. Is it cold yes is it warm to hot on some days in the Med of course. Does it rain in. Venice in the summer .. yes. YMMV.

Many people travel in Europe to the Med during the summer especially Europeans and the U.K. because of the short summer that they have. Like on ships I have heard it is too cold or too hot it really depends varies with each individual.

For a better idea for the weather visit weather underground it will give you the average range of historical temperatures and rain.

We have been to the Med at least 20 times during all seasons and loved it. We can adjust to heat and cold or in between.

Don't be discouraged as we all know some of us have responsibilities and can only travel at certain times. Please don't let weather hold you back. You are the final decision maker and nobody here can make that decision for you. I know you will have a great time regardless of the weather.

The advice on here is like food subjective and what one likes the other person may not care for.

I traveled for a living and cruised over a hundred cruises in total. My advice is not to worry about the weather and enjoy the time you have traveling and embellish all of it.

Cheers

Miles

:cool:+ Jean.

I want to correct my post. Not the N Cape but the Artic Circle. Beautiful cruise but brrrrrr. Survived.

Visits to Cairo, Dubai and Africa in the summer and winter, Thailand in the rainy season, Singapore a wonderful city but yes it is hot and humid but the cleanest city I have ever been to.

As my mother would say if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. She cooked well and and I stayed in the kitchen.

Miles

Miles (and all). It appears this particular thread has come tangled. My earlier post concerned crowd size, not weather. Certainly, there is an exacerbation factor when hot and humid combines with lots of bodies (tour groups) moving in little clusters in confined spaces.

This goes with the territory. So, let us all take a deep breath and move forward. BTW: your mom must be a Harry S Truman (period omitted on purpose) fan. The heat in the kitchen was one of his favorite sayings; right along with: "If you want a friend in Washington [D.C.], get a dog."

I know heat, real heat, with no air conditioning, like a year in Vietnam with the 1st Infantry Division. That was then ['68-'69]; this is now, when this body has lost some of its ability to adapt to the current environment. A few years ago, Sue and I did an extended 'Med cruise with several land excursions in October. It was still hot, but the crowds were not oppressive. We do have the luxury of choosing when to travel, within limits..

Will be off to the Amazon in about a month aboard Navigator. Fully-aware of what to expect re: heat and humidity. For that reason, we have curtailed land excursions. The comfort and air conditioning of the ship are compensatory factors which we will embrace to make this a pleasant experience.

Regards to all.

GoARMY!

You will love the Amazon for sure. Yes, the ship will be your Oasis.

We went to see the gorillas in Africa deep into the jungle hot and sweaty it was but it was worth it and then returning to our oasis. We are pretty tough guys and physically active. I think one should do what they can while,in good health because later on it may not be possible.

I also want to also thank you for your service in Vietnam. My dad served in the Korean War. Nixon eliminated the draft just before I graduated high school but I think we were all prepared for the draft number we would get.

Again, thank you for our freedom!

Miles

Miles (and all). It appears this particular thread has come tangled. My earlier post concerned crowd size, not weather. Certainly, there is an exacerbation factor when hot and humid combines with lots of bodies (tour groups) moving in little clusters in confined spaces.

This goes with the territory. So, let us all take a deep breath and move forward. BTW: your mom must be a Harry S Truman (period omitted on purpose) fan. The heat in the kitchen was one of his favorite sayings; right along with: "If you want a friend in Washington [D.C.], get a dog."

I know heat, real heat, with no air conditioning, like a year in Vietnam with the 1st Infantry Division. That was then ['68-'69]; this is now, when this body has lost some of its ability to adapt to the current environment. A few years ago, Sue and I did an extended 'Med cruise with several land excursions in October. It was still hot, but the crowds were not oppressive. We do have the luxury of choosing when to travel, within limits..

Will be off to the Amazon in about a month aboard Navigator. Fully-aware of what to expect re: heat and humidity. For that reason, we have curtailed land excursions. The comfort and air conditioning of the ship are compensatory factors which we will embrace to make this a pleasant experience.

Regards to all.

GoARMY!

Thank you for hopefully ending the craziness. I hope that you will not only enjoy the Amazon but will post from the ship. I will always remember you sitting at the computer every night on the Explorer. That is one of the best times to utilize the system without having 500+ other passengers trying to do the same thing.

This summer I will be trying different things to keep myself cool. in preparation for visiting the Amazon later this year. There is a "new" product that may be introduced this year (guessing that it will not happen until 2018 or 2019) that could make a major impact on "personal" heating and cooling. I look forward to it. As I may have told you on the ship, the Amazon is a bucket list item for my DH - definitely not for me. However, IMO, he deserves to have all of his dreams come true and if this is one of them, I'm on board! I'll be hanging on every word that you post!