LIVE ("lite") Explorer - 4/9 to 4/19

UUNetBill

Better late than never. Just wanted to get this thread started.

Initial impressions: Ship - gorgeous. Subjective, I know, but I love the feel of it.

Transfer: Miss. Our ride from the airport to the hotel was a bust, the driver got lost and a 20-minute ride took well over an hour. No A/C running, no explanation, and a flaccid apology. Not a very Regentesque start to the cruise.

Service: Above average so far. A few minor misses in Chartreuse but otherwise very, very good. My mom's husband has a severe and fairly rare food allergy and the entire staff has been on top of things since we boarded.

Suite (F2): Love it. Great layout. Plenty of usable space, good closet. Only flaw - the front door and bathroom door interfere with each other. Bathroom door is already severely scratched (no, I didn't do it). I'd do a WC in this suite.

Passengers: So far, so good. Missed the pink-clad Jim B due to the FUBAR transfer. Met the Flossies today, was a nice surprise to be recognized like that. We'll need to hook up for drinks. Anyone else from the roll call want to say Hi, let me know.

Internet is tolerable but not great. So far it's much better than Navigator last year.

Still tired, we didn't take our usual adjustment day and it's taking a toll. Probably going to grab a quick nap before dinner in Chartreuse tonight.

Anyone else on board, feel free to chime in!

Me too....thanks for taking the time, Bill, especially bearing in mind you'd probably prefer to take a nap. Glad you've met the Flossies, too.

I just did a double take when reading that you'd "do a WC in that suite". Of course, now I realise you mean a World Cruise... :o For one minute I thought something else altogether.

Me too....thanks for taking the time, Bill, especially bearing in mind you'd probably prefer to take a nap. Glad you've met the Flossies, too.

I just did a double take when reading that you'd "do a WC in that suite". Of course, now I realise you mean a World Cruise... :o For one minute I thought something else altogether.

Ha Ha! Great minds think alike, Gilly. I thought the same thing for a sec...then brain kicked in!

This is a real treat having a second dose of the Explorer via CC. Thank you, Bill for taking the time to take us all along!

Hi Bill - so glad to finally "see" you while onboard! Not sure how a bus driver could get lost going to the cruise terminal since it is a major destination of tourists. Must be new to the area? Very strange and not a good way to start a trip.

Glad to hear that the F&B team is taking care of allergy needs. IMO, they are a great team.

Agree that one could easily do a WC in an F2 suite. Regent hit a home run when they designed those suites.

Any "special" events going on yet? I understand that Jason O'Keefe (Seven Seas Society Mgr.) has some things planned for your cruise and there will be the Town Hall Meeting as well.

Looking forward to further reports.

This fellow South Carolinian will be on the Explorer next month so I'm very interested in your thoughts. We are in a G2 cabin and it sounds like we should be in a F2 but too late now. I've been on about 10 cruises, but this is the first with Regent. Along with two other couples (one from Greenville) we are cruising to celebrate our 50th anniversary.

I did too! LOL!

Hoping that Bill has some time to post but realize that this is a very port intensive itinerary and Regent management is onboard for the 25th anniversary celebration so he and his family are likely extremely busy. I have seen some pictures from my Facebook friends and it looks like they are having a wonderful time.

Have to laugh about the two "definitions" of "WC" as well as "TA". If that isn't confusing enough, the term "OP" was used for a long time (few people understood what it meant until it was explained to them) but now CC changed it to "TS" which is much clearer. Not meaning to be off topic - just an intermission while we await news from the Explorer. Is it time for HH yet? :whiskey-glass: :beer-mug: :bottle-pop:

All, sorry I haven't posted much lately, as others have said, it's a port-intensive cruise, plus I have dear mother on board, and that's taking some extra time as well.

Long day today, and another long one tomorrow. Not sure if I'll be out and about much until Naples...ran into several more CCers today, I'm hoping to be able to spend some more time with some of you before long. I'm usually easy to find as I've been representing my Mountaineers by wearing some sort of WV attire each day. Might only be a hat tomorrow. We're on the private rail car to Rome tomorrow. If anyone else is on that, look for the WV hat. ;p

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I sure let THIS one die off...I'm going to blame it on a combination of a port-intensive itinerary and sailing with my mother and her husband, both first-time Regent guests. Took a lot of my free time, and patience as well. :D

Bottom line - great cruise, IMO. Ship is gorgeous, staff is firing at about 99%, only a few little niggles with the ship, and I think the shore excursions are getting worse.

For my fellow CC people, I'm sorry I didn't get more time to sit and chat with y'all - but it was at least nice to get to meet so many of you!

Jackie - thank you for the information on Navigator - John passed it on to me and it was quite interesting, to say the least.

I posted a review of the cruise, it should be appearing shortly. We're definitely looking forward to being back on board in August...

Bill, what did your mom and her husband think of the cruise? Is this something that they would like to do again?

Looking forward to your review.

P.S. I don't want to say "I told you so" (about the ship) but I instinctively knew that you'd love her. Also, I think that you are beginning to see excursions the way that I do. While I enjoy Regent excursions in some parts of the world, the Med. is not one of them.

Bill, what did your mom and her husband think of the cruise? Is this something that they would like to do again?

Looking forward to your review.

P.S. I don't want to say "I told you so" (about the ship) but I instinctively knew that you'd love her. Also, I think that you are beginning to see excursions the way that I do. While I enjoy Regent excursions in some parts of the world, the Med. is not one of them.

TC - they loved it, of course. Although they had no basis of comparison never having cruised before, my mother made a comment along the lines of, "I don't know how this could be any more perfect." In fact, I think Richard was considering booking a leaf-peeper, but I'm not sure he'll go through with it when he starts pricing them out. He's a bit, shall we say, frugal? :D

And although I was a bit put off with the beginning of the cruise - the cluster with the airport transfer was the most glaring - once onboard, everything got better. I think part of it was the fact that we didn't take a full day in BCN to adjust to the time change like we usually do. I'm guessing that made me a bit grumpy. That's the problem with still being in the active workforce - unlimited desire to travel is not a good match to limited vacation days, and since we have two cruises booked this year, extra days are hard to come by. I'm thinking it'll be even worse in 2019 if we make our Cape Town - Rio trip - that flight to CPT looks brutal, even from the US southeast...

What is wrong with the Mediterranean excursions? We have booked one every day - all included ones except two which are extra.

Don't let that comment put you off! It's a matter of personal experience and choice. I am sure you will enjoy your excursions. Yes the Med can be busy we all know that and yes there may be many other cruise operators at the same location but just go with an open mind and enjoy every port and excursion. Occasionally during a port intensive cruise you might find you tire easily and it's not unusual to have to cancel an excursion just to kick back and relax on board.

Enjoy your cruise, Jean.

Having relived most of Wednesday twice on the way back from Venice to Seattle due to a 9-hour time difference, just a few thoughts prior to posting a more comprehensive review of our btb which began at Miami. These regard shore excursions on both segments. Very-positive. Particularly regarding those from Barcelona to Venice: All tours taken were accurately described in the Destination Services "Shore Excursion Overview"(SEO) Busses were only half-filled; tour guides spoke excellent English, were knowledgeable, and approachable. It was fortunate that visits to high-traffic tourist sites, including Pisa, Pompeii, Diocletian's Palace at Split, and St. Mark's Square/Doge's Palace at Venice, were taken prior to the intense "season". Guides commented that in about a month, crowds would be two to three times heavier, thus impacting the experience.

As we specifically noted in our Cruise Evaluation, guides provided individual listening devices--which worked--on several tours. These were absolutely essential to enjoying and understanding the experience.

One particular tour stood out. That was on Easter Sunday at Kotor. We took the Classical Concert in Prcanj tour which included a flute quartet presentation at a cathedral; followed by, what was described in SEO as a "light seafood lunch" at a local restaurant. Both aspects were delightful. Magical music performed by real professionals; and a complete, delicious lunch. To add to the effect, the boat trip back to the ship was accompanied by a thunderstorm and lightning "show", at no additional expense.

GoARMY!

GoArmy - we may have been on some of the same excursions, or at least we went to the same places. My experience, although not BAD, was not as positive as yours. Yes, the busses were only partially full, but we had several guides who were merely fair, and had at least two where the personal radio receivers weren't working properly. On the flip side, several were excellent - and the lack of crowds was definitely a plus.

The excursions really do a good job of getting you around to see the sights, I mostly just feel that they're getting too 'cattle car' compared to a few years ago, even some of the Regent Choice selections. That said, though, I wouldn't worry about taking them - many are still very good. Just be prepared for crowds in July and August, though! :o

GoArmy - we may have been on some of the same excursions, or at least we went to the same places. My experience, although not BAD, was not as positive as yours. Yes, the busses were only partially full, but we had several guides who were merely fair, and had at least two where the personal radio receivers weren't working properly. On the flip side, several were excellent - and the lack of crowds was definitely a plus.

The excursions really do a good job of getting you around to see the sights, I mostly just feel that they're getting too 'cattle car' compared to a few years ago, even some of the Regent Choice selections. That said, though, I wouldn't worry about taking them - many are still very good. Just be prepared for crowds in July and August, though! :o

Not only are there crowds in July and August, the weather is unbearable. One tour guide we had in Venice said that August was "hell". Not a good time to cruise the Med.

Travelcat2 I think we are all well aware that the Med will be much higher temperatures and also very very busy in high summer season, but for some of us due to work constraints and commitments not everyone has the opportunity to chose alternative dates .

This doesn't lessen the enjoyment or excitement for anyone planning a cruise at these times.