Viking Sea March 26 Athens to Venice short review

TGBoss

One additional thing that I forgot to add to my review: we were not able to make any dinner reservations online before we left. We still were able to make reservations onboard - we ate in Manfredi's twice and the chef's table once. If you do not have reservations before you board, I recommend heading to the World Cafe to the reservation desk as soon as you board. We made our Manfredi's reservations then. Later in the cruise, when we wanted to add 1 more reservation there, there were none available. Manfredi's seemed to be much busier than the chef's table.

One additional thing that I forgot to add to my review: we were not able to make any dinner reservations online before we left. We still were able to make reservations onboard - we ate in Manfredi's twice and the chef's table once. If you do not have reservations before you board, I recommend heading to the World Cafe to the reservation desk as soon as you board. We made our Manfredi's reservations then. Later in the cruise, when we wanted to add 1 more reservation there, there were none available. Manfredi's seemed to be much busier than the chef's table.

Do you mean that you tried online and the feature wasn't working, or no reservations were left -- or that you didn't have the opportunity to do it before boarding?

Do you mean that you tried online and the feature wasn't working, or no reservations were left -- or that you didn't have the opportunity to do it before boarding?

or that they were in a Veranda cabin and therefore did not have the option of making advanced reservations for the specialty restaurants..

• 9 months later...
Bingo - we were in the lowest level cabin and the option was never there.

Dear TGBoss,

I was read your posts about the Empires of the Mediterrean cruise and really appreciated your comments. My husband and I are taking this same cruise in the spring and I was hoping I could ask you for some more details about the trip. (This is our second Viking Ocean cruise and have been very pleased with Viking).

In Santorini, we will also take the included tour, do you remember whether Viking offered shuttle service between Fira and Oia? Did they visit Ancient Thera on the included excursion?

In Kotor, you mentioned the hike up to St. John's Fortress. I am considering doing it but I have a bad knee and not sure about the the stairs.

In Zadar, we are really looking forward to touring the KrKa National Park as well. Did you take the Viking tour for this or did you do this independently?

In Koper, I was considering the tour to Lake Bled and the castle. You didn't mention this specific tour in your post. Did you hear anythiing about this tour from fellow passengers?

We are really looking forward to this trip. Thank you so very much for your time and input.

In Santorini, the included tour went to Oia and then back to Thira. They did not visit Ancient Thera on the included, but I believe it was an optional excursion.

The hike up to the fortress in Kotor was a bit grueling. But you could always walk up a bit and stop when you feel like it. The church/chapel is about 1/2 way to the fortress. The views are spectacular.

We took the Viking tour to KrKa national park - they did a really good job. we used them mainly for the easier transportation. we wandered off on our own once we were there.

Did not talk to anyone who did the Lake Bled tour. We took the included tour, then caught a local bus to Piran, a lovely seaside village. Very easy to get to, if you decide not to go the Lake Bled route.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Dear TJBoss,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. It is helpful to get first hand info from fellow cruisers. I may have additional questions as I start planning further and I appreciate your offer to respond to additional questions. We love the Viking Ocean and we look forward to this trip. Our next cruise will be the Alaskan Passage in 2019. Any chance you are doing that one? Regards, Lynnseab

In Santorini, the included tour went to Oia and then back to Thira. They did not visit Ancient Thera on the included, but I believe it was an optional excursion.

The hike up to the fortress in Kotor was a bit grueling. But you could always walk up a bit and stop when you feel like it. The church/chapel is about 1/2 way to the fortress. The views are spectacular.

We took the Viking tour to KrKa national park - they did a really good job. we used them mainly for the easier transportation. we wandered off on our own once we were there.

Did not talk to anyone who did the Lake Bled tour. We took the included tour, then caught a local bus to Piran, a lovely seaside village. Very easy to get to, if you decide not to go the Lake Bled route.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

We took the Homelands Cruise last summer and it was a trip of a lifetime. St. Petersburg was our favorite port city. Let me know if you book and are looking for tour recommendations. We loved, loved, loved that cruise.

Regards.

Lynnseab -

No, we're not doing the Alaskan Passage. We haven't booked our next Viking Ocean, and are booked up with trips the rest of the year. Looking at 2019 the Russia/Baltic cruise.

We're doing this same cruise on the Viking Star in May 2018--thanks for previewing the ports. We did the Homelands tour in July '17 and loved it.

What date are you on the Star? We are on the May 12th cruise to the Mediterranean. Are you taking any independent tours while on the cruise. I ask as I am looking for independent tour companies for Montenegro, Zadar to see KRKA National Park, and Kope to see Lake Bled.

Thanks.

TGBoss- Thanks for posting, this trip looks like a lot of fun, and at a good time of the year for us.

My wife and I have only been on river cruises. She gets seasick/airsick at times. This looks like the most sheltered route you can take. Is there a lot of motion, do people still get seasick?

Thanks

In most cases the Ocean Ships are some of the newest afloat. They use many of the newest ways to cut the wave action, but it’s still a ship on the open seas . When you book your first ocean cruise just give your wife one of those sea sickness bands and all will be good . You many want to start small but that’s up to you . It’s funny, we are on the Viking WC and a fair amount of the guests on this adventure have never either been on an ocean going ship or cruised before. Go Have Fun and Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...
I won't do a long review here, because others have done it and done it better! But here are some thoughts:

We decided to try Viking Ocean after 2 Viking river cruises. We talked to many people on this cruise, and I'd say the vast majority had also sailed with Viking river before. We absolutely love Viking River (in fact, are sailing again with them this fall) and feel that the Ocean experience is very close. Not exact, of course, because the number of people is greater, but a similar feel.

We booked the lowest level cabin, and were very pleased. A lot more room than on the river cruise, and a good size cabin compared to other ocean lines we've cruised. The bathroom was the nicest we've ever had on any ship.

As for the food, we really enjoyed it. Not as highly ranked as Silverseas, but that is in a higher category to begin with, and you pay more for it. The wine and beer flowed freely (we always asked for a full glass before leaving the dining room and took it with us to our evening entertainment - no server had a problem with that).

The included excursions were good - some of the local guides were great. And the ports of call on this cruise are fantastic.

All in all, a wonderful experience. Would not hesitate to book with Viking Ocean again!

How was the weather during your trip?

We are going on same cruise later March 2019

The weather was fantastic. Hot in Athens, mild everywhere else. Took a light jacket, mainly only needed it in the evening. Was able to walk around and sightsee all day, no sweating!!