Cheers! - Quick Question - Mixed drink w/Premium Vodka?

cdel71

I just booked a cruise on the Carnival Magic for Sept 30th, however have a quick question about the Cheers program. I did a search and couldn't find my answer, so apologies if this has already been answered by someone else in a different thread.

Can I order a Mudslide with Grey Goose (doesn't need to be VX), just something a bit more premium, than just their standard Vodka. Granted, I can tell the bartender, Mudslide, no Vodka, then in 5 mins ask for Grey Goose VX, but then that's 2 drinks against my 15 overall. I really don't want crappy vodka in my mixed drink...(unless you like headaches or hangovers)......

Now I know people will tell me you can't tell the difference, and I would agree somewhat regarding taste in a mixed drink such as this, but when it hits you after a few, you'll be thankful it wasn't the bottom of the barrel vodka......

Have never gotten Cheers, so can't help you, but I am a big drinker and I admit, I drink the "cheap stuff." We have a Bottle King in our area and I drink their brand vodka and wine spritzers with Peter Vella boxed Chablis and Stop and Shop brand lemon lime soda. I LOVE my drinks. Is drinking "top shelf" liquor really "better" for preventing hangovers? Just curious....:confused:

Have never gotten Cheers, so can't help you, but I am a big drinker and I admit, I drink the "cheap stuff." We have a Bottle King in our area and I drink their brand vodka and wine spritzers with Peter Vella boxed Chablis and Stop and Shop brand lemon lime soda. I LOVE my drinks. Is drinking "top shelf" liquor really "better" for preventing hangovers? Just curious....:confused:

In my opinion, yes. I drink Russian standard at home, and have never had a hangover. Same thing with the vx on the boat

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

On the last cruise I was on (November 2016) you could get doubles in the sports bar. I like Tito's Vodka with tonic and at most of the bars you could only get a single shot drink, but at the sports bar they would serve you a double. It wasn't for all drinks, but they had a list. It could have been a special they were running on that cruise, but it can't hurt to look into it. I have purchased the Cheers package several times and I find that it is worth it. I hate that big bill for alcohol at the end of the cruise and I don't want to worry about how much we are drinking.

The "Standard" vodka is not crappy at all...they don't use "bottom of the barrel" booze. I love Vodka tonics.....and I like Grey Goose, Kettle One, and Belvedere. BUT, in a "mixed" drink, you really don't taste the booze, unless the drink isn't mixed right.

My original post was more along the lines of - If I order a mixed drink with vodka, can that (shot) be from a ~$35 bottle of Vodka vs. a $15 bottle of Vodka. I am not a big drinker, and for some reason seem tend to do better when using higher quality alcohol vs. the "cheaper" brands. Trust me, I've been there, and it's good to know you can order something premium to be mixed-in under the Cheers program. Will need to try Belvedere, I've yet to try that. I've heard that GG VX is on board, but haven't been able to determine if it's a certain bar that stocks it.....

The "Standard" vodka is not crappy at all...they don't use "bottom of the barrel" booze. I love Vodka tonics.....and I like Grey Goose, Kettle One, and Belvedere. BUT, in a "mixed" drink, you really don't taste the booze, unless the drink isn't mixed right.

FYI...it is not the taste, it is the "smoothness" of the vodka that makes the difference, even in a mixed drink. I don't know very many folks who drink straight vodka unless maybe you are doing "shots" in Russia! ;p

I disagree. I can definitely tell the difference between Grey Goose and Smirnoffs in my vodka/diet. I can tell the difference in a gin and tonic with Hendricks versus Sapphire. I love that I can have the "best" of each liquor in my cocktail with Cheers.

FYI...it is not the taste, it is the "smoothness" of the vodka that makes the difference, even in a mixed drink. I don't know very many folks who drink straight vodka unless maybe you are doing "shots" in Russia! ;p

Pretty much a martini is straight vodka, as Hawkeye on MASH said, "5 parts (Gin) vodka and a moment of silent meditation for the Vermouth" We also drink Kettle One on the rocks, which is also straight vodka, Russians also drink ice cold vodka, like sipping Cognac. Now you know a few people.

Thanks to both of you. I am DEFINITELY going to order it that way. Can't wait. (but will have to as it's about a year and a half away) :D
Not all of the bars may have it, the Blue Iguana near the pool as well as Alchemy should. Really improves the drink, especially on the rocks.

Pretty much a martini is straight vodka, as Hawkeye on MASH said, "5 parts (Gin) vodka and a moment of silent meditation for the Vermouth" We also drink Kettle One on the rocks, which is also straight vodka, Russians also drink ice cold vodka, like sipping Cognac. Now you know a few people.

You can add me to the list, only thing I mix a drink with is ice, sometimes...Nice to know ya!