Oceana flight from Malta

ascot2012

Slightly off topic.

There are a vast array of inbound flights and at differing times to Malta. In my case we are on the 0555 from Manchester which would suggest we could be on board ship by midday.

Does anybody know what time Oceana sails from Valletta?. Seems as if it could be late evening.

According to our Cruise Log, on 6th April, the ship began procedures to set sail just after 7.30pm and the pilot left the ship about 8.00pm. If you can be on deck it was a very interesting sailaway with the fortifications on both sides. It doesn't last long but definitely worth watching.

When we go on May 11th, we are not due to land until 7.00 pm, so by the time we get to the ship and check in, it will probably be after 8. So I guess we will sail quite a bit later than that, to allow time for muster drill before sailing.

Brian

According to our Cruise Log, on 6th April, the ship began procedures to set sail just after 7.30pm and the pilot left the ship about 8.00pm. If you can be on deck it was a very interesting sailaway with the fortifications on both sides. It doesn't last long but definitely worth watching.

Part of the reason I opted for this cruise was down to the fact that going back in the mists of time I was a Junior Engineer with P&O. On two occasions we docked at Valetta and each time I was on watch on both arrival and departure so never experienced seeing the citadel in its finest.

They took anything, Euros, Dollars, whatever.

In fact the receipt in the bar had the total in Leks, Euros, and Dollars (a glass of wine and bottle of beer was €2.99).

I'm full of questions today.

If I read correctly Albania is not in the EU. Will this affect the tax free limit on bringing goods back to the UK?

In fact the receipt in the bar had the total in Leks, Euros, and Dollars (a glass of wine and bottle of beer was €2.99).

That sounds good Cheers :cool:

When we go on May 11th, we are not due to land until 7.00 pm, so by the time we get to the ship and check in, it will probably be after 8. So I guess we will sail quite a bit later than that, to allow time for muster drill before sailing.

Brian

If you look up the web cams for Valetta Harbour you can watch Oceana sail out every Thursday from various angles. Great fun in a build up to your own cruise ;-) I think last week it was about 8pm

http://www.skylinewebcams.com/

What did you do in Albania? Did you do an excursion or just spend time around Sarande? Any tips would be most welcome, I do the Oceana cruise next month and not clue what to do in Albania.

What did you do in Albania? Did you do an excursion or just spend time around Sarande? Any tips would be most welcome, I do the Oceana cruise next month and not clue what to do in Albania.

Unless you go on a tour there is nothing as the town is just a modern seaside resort.

The prom was pleasant for a stroll, and most people seemed to end up in one of the bars having a drink on the waterfront in the sun. I thought the nicest bar was one about half way around, tables on the waterfront overlooking the bay.

Gatwick flight arrived on time today, but left 45 minutes late.

Explanation from the pilot was congestion as all the planes arrive/leave at the same time, and the ground crew were delayed dealing with the plane.

Organisation in the terminal was fine, with airport staff going around and handing out free iced drinks and biscuits.

Loads of empty seats as it seemed the British habit of 'see a queue, must stand in it' was well in force. Do they think they will get home quicker?

'Gaining' 45 minutes on a flight of about 3 hours suggests plenty of timetable padding.

its better for passenger psychology to be able to say even though the flight is late leaving it will arrive 'on time'. Railway companies do the same.

Slightly off track a little, but a question for anyone who's done the Malta fly cruise. A friend just returned and gave me tip, not to bother packing a bottle for the ship as they were directed through a duty free shop at Malta before boarding, can anyone confirm this, but more to the point did anyone notice if the had Bombay Sapphire Gin? My Friend didn't not as he was after Vodka.

We are on board 8th June

• 1 month later...

Hi

We're on the 27 June cruise and looking for recent experiences travelling through Malta airport to and from Oceana for embarkation etc. Have the queues and time from airport to ship improved?

Could anyone give an idea of the time you leave the ship to get to the airport for an 11am flight? We're wondering about self disembarking and taking an early taxi maybe?

We disembarked yesterday 22nd June. Not too sure about about time from ship as we did a farewell to Malta excursion.

Whatever problems they had, they seem to have sorted it. We were whisked through security to the departure lounge in a flash, with a line of P&O staff ushering people through what seemed to be special lanes for P&O passengers

The airport is small, but modern enough, with seating availability a small issue, but well over 90% had a seat in departure lounge. No one stood for too long as seats were freed as flights were called. Our fight was delayed 45mins due to late incoming plane, nothing to do with Malta airport or P&O. Don't worry they will have you at airport with plenty of time to spare, perhaps too much time, enough for me to sink a couple of beers ;p

Hi

We're on the 27 June cruise and looking for recent experiences travelling through Malta airport to and from Oceana for embarkation etc. Have the queues and time from airport to ship improved?

Could anyone give an idea of the time you leave the ship to get to the airport for an 11am flight? We're wondering about self disembarking and taking an early taxi maybe?

We disembarked yesterday at 0830 for the 1140 Manchester flight.

Earlier flights such as the one you look as if you are on left at 0730 onwards. The journey to the airport took about 30 mins in quite heavy early morning traffic. As already mentioned P&O staff on hand at the airport to get you through promptly and it was well handled. I personally would not be doing the trek independently.

One thing though, is that there were a good few people who on arrival at Valletta exited the arrival hall without collecting their luggage. I know that Thomas Cook flights such as ours required us to collect our luggage from the carousel, so please check and ascertain your situation.

This luggage collection issue is bound cause confusion and problems. Some flights have to collect luggage and others do not.. We had no idea what to do until we got in arrivals hall and asked a P&O rep. It appears P&O use chartered and scheduled flights, the later you need to collect. The former you do not. But how are you supposed to know which your on? No announcement was made on our flight about luggage. Two flight arrived together, some collected and some didn't, some people arrived at coaches with luggage and some without. A few people without luggage got worried and asked the the staff what was going on.

In my opinion P&O should make it absolutely clear on your booking and cruise personaliser and again on the flight, what you need to do regarding luggage

This luggage collection issue is bound cause confusion and problems. Some flights have to collect luggage and others do not.. We had no idea what to do until we got in arrivals hall and asked a P&O rep. It appears P&O use chartered and scheduled flights, the later you need to collect. The former you do not. But how are you supposed to know which your on? No announcement was made on our flight about luggage. Two flight arrived together, some collected and some didn't, some people arrived at coaches with luggage and some without. A few people without luggage got worried and asked the the staff what was going on.

In my opinion P&O should make it absolutely clear on your booking and cruise personaliser and again on the flight, what you need to do regarding luggage

Spot on!