Currently on Nautica - Mumbai to Athens

JoePDX

One thing that is unique to Vietnam (and Hanoi in particular) is a water puppet show. It's not only for children - it's a cultural experience with Vietnamese music and singing accompanying this unique show,

Where else can one see this? :)

I went to this cultural show a few years ago. I love puppets and have several kinds of puppets of my own that I used as a school librarian. I used puppets with small kids to do our own puppet shows written and directed by my little ones using sometimes homemade puppets sometimes my Folkmanis puppets. I say this so you know that I really like puppets and this was one of the highlights I was looking forward to. I was just underwhelmed. Very much an old craft -- the puppets were very much simple wooden shapes and because of the water were peeling their paint. The benches were like oldfashioned wooden benches that were more than a little hard and narrow (OK so I am just too big a body person to fit into much of anything in Viet Nam -- all seats too small :o) I would say still go. It is a cultural experience. Just don't build up your expectations too much. As the experience mellowed I liked it more -- but not my favorite. The best puppet experience ever was in Yogyakarta Indonesia. A private guide took us to a puppet maker and he showed us how they make the large and/or very small shadow puppets and hand puppets used to recite the religious stories and cultural stories of the region. They are truly works of art and each must have the features and characteristics of the religious figure so that the story is told without words in parts and to inform the populations that can not read the "holy books". This was just an added stop (guide had never gone there but knew who to ask) and it was so interesting we ended up spending most of the afternoon. Put it on your bucket list -- a good one added to Borobudur Temple and Pranbanan Temple

In Vietnam, to me the most fascinating thing is watching the traffic! Seeing what goes by the bus window usually on a motorbike or a put together unique vehicle that certainly would not pass inspection in our part of the world. Biggest family on motorbike =6 Mom with baby tied to front, 10 year old girl in school uniform , 6 year old boy with no shoes, father with toddler on his back -- father was steering around mother and girl. Most interesting look -- a full mobile tea shop with kettle , table, 2 stools and a dishpan hanging off the bicycle. Boy and girl making out on a motorbike -- light changed and I didn't see if he got to "2nd" base. Police car that was mix of smart car size on motorbike platform.2 cops inside and one standing on rear bumper. 4 old men playing a card game at the jammed up intersection! 3 pigs trussed up on a motorbike! Barreling down the road to market. Never ever boring. Some most excellent "people watching" because it is so different from US. Have a great time and leave time to just be in the streets and culture. Life is happening while we sit in tourist shows.

our views of people on motorbikes: a guy carrying a fridge (not the square box type but more the 'dorm' fridge), also the 6 people on a bike but ours was all female.

we thought there were only 5; mom and 4 girls but upon loading the photos into the laptop back on board, we discovered a baby squashed in between 2 girls...and we saw at least 25-30 live chickens hanging upside down tied to 2 long bars going to market. Chickens and western viewers not happy critters!

In Vietnam, to me the most fascinating thing is watching the traffic! Seeing what goes by the bus window usually on a motorbike or a put together unique vehicle that certainly would not pass inspection in our part of the world.

Yes, planning to see the water puppet show in Hanoi. Appreciate these added details and fun follow-ups. Traffic and the "flow" does sound like fun and fascination for these two large cities in Vietnam. Keep it coming!!! Loving these interesting items, tips and previews.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,251 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.