Paella

TravelAbby

I am planning to go to 7 Portes at the recommendation of my boss who goes there every time he is in Barcelona. We will be sailing out of Barcelona in Oct so I can post something after we get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another vote for Caracoles. Not the cheapest, but I've have been on four occasions, never had a bad meal and its an experience.

As paella is traditionally a lunch dish get there for 1pm opening, ask for a table next to the kitchen, you will almost be in it (!) and tuck in. Don't forget to tour the whole restaurant before you leave.

Getting a table in the evening is a lottery as it is always busy. Lunchtime is far less stress!

To be frank, it all boils down to your "style" and your objective (that is, what you're after). These days, Los Caracoles is nothing special, it's just living out of past fame when politicians and artist from all over the world visiting the city used to go... from the roaring 20s to the late 60s! While its cuisine is indeed all right, I wouldn't lose my head for a table there. It has sadly become rather a thematic restaurant... trying to hang onto an era that has all but disappeared with all the old photographs on the wall, the impromptu musical performances of the Tuna and the "colorful" waiters... and the disproportionated prices in relation to the quality being offered. If you're really into a good paella, places like Xàtiva, Cullera de Boix, Barraca, L'Estupendu or Envalira are far better. Less showy, less pretentious but excellent in the food, which is after all what counts, right? But again, all opinions are equally valid I guess... taste is like butt, everyone has got one, LOL!

Edited by EnricM

I spent 2 weeks in Spain for my honeymoon in 2014 and the best paella I had was at Bosque Palermo. My husband and I went there twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. Service was okay but the food definitely made up for that! We had the seafood paella both times.

To be frank, it all boils down to your "style" and your objective (that is, what you're after). These days, Los Caracoles is nothing special, it's just living out of past fame when politicians and artist from all over the world visiting the city used to go... from the roaring 20s to the late 60s! While its cuisine is indeed all right, I wouldn't lose my head for a table there. It has sadly become rather a thematic restaurant... trying to hang onto an era that has all but disappeared with all the old photographs on the wall, the impromptu musical performances of the Tuna and the "colorful" waiters... and the disproportionated prices in relation to the quality being offered. If you're really into a good paella, places like Xàtiva, Cullera de Boix, Barraca, L'Estupendu or Envalira are far better. Less showy, less pretentious but excellent in the food, which is after all what counts, right? But again, all opinions are equally valid I guess... taste is like butt, everyone has got one, LOL!

El Cangrejo Loco in Port Olympic. How would you say this one stacks up to the ones you are giving us? Had a good meal there last summer. Always looking for a good paella. Thanks

... RJB, as I said above, taste is personal so my views are simply my views, no one can obviously lecture on taste, each one has his own :)

Cangrejo Loco (literally Crazy Crab - http://www.elcangrejoloco.com/en ) was born out of the 1992 Olympics, riding on the "new design wave" of the early 90s that swept Barcelona. It's signed by a celebrity restaurateur, Alfons Herrero, and was marketed as cool, modern, "in", must-do. It was one of the places to be seen and flocks of VIPs visited it, from European royalty to politicians and famous artists, etc. Unfortunately, as it often happens with restaurants born in a "celebrity aura", when the hype has passed, what's left is a regular restaurant with regular food and high prices. Today's Cangrejo Loco is a fine restaurant with good fresh food, nice surroundings but pricey -in comparison to similar offers elsewhere. Paellas, however good, are not their signature dish by a long shot though.

For fresh seafood on a nice upmarket environment overlooking the Mediterranean Sea this restaurant can be an option... for a paella, probably not my choice.

PS. An unexpected drawback if visited late at night on the weekends (and in summer): it is located in the Olympic Port, which aside restaurants is also full of clubs. This area becomes a continuous display of drunks, hen and stag parties, the occasional brawl, etc. I grant you that the Cangrejo Loco is not located in the middle of this, in the marina, but on top of one of the piers, yet be aware. During the day the ambience is completely different of course.

Edited by EnricM

... RJB, as I said above, taste is personal so my views are simply my views, no one can obviously lecture on taste, each one has his own :)

Cangrejo Loco (literally Crazy Crab - http://www.elcangrejoloco.com/en ) was born out of the 1992 Olympics, riding on the "new design wave" of the early 90s that swept Barcelona. It's signed by a celebrity restaurateur, Alfons Herrero, and was marketed as cool, modern, "in", must-do. It was one of the places to be seen and flocks of VIPs visited it, from European royalty to politicians and famous artists, etc. Unfortunately, as it often happens with restaurants born in a "celebrity aura", when the hype has passed, what's left is a regular restaurant with regular food and high prices. Today's Cangrejo Loco is a fine restaurant with good fresh food, nice surroundings but pricey -in comparison to similar offers elsewhere. Paellas, however good, are not their signature dish by a long shot though.

For fresh seafood on a nice upmarket environment overlooking the Mediterranean Sea this restaurant can be an option... for a paella, probably not my choice.

PS. An unexpected drawback if visited late at night on the weekends (and in summer): it is located in the Olympic Port, which aside restaurants is also full of clubs. This area becomes a continuous display of drunks, hen and stag parties, the occasional brawl, etc. I grant you that the Cangrejo Loco is not located in the middle of this, in the marina, but on top of one of the piers, yet be aware. During the day the ambience is completely different of course.

Thank you very much for your post. We will surely keep this in mind when we look for someplace to eat when we are in Barcelona later in the year. The great thing about CC is that we can get honest answers to what we are looking for . We will most likely stay at the Arts Hotel and if there is some other better places to dine we would love you to tell us about them. Thank you in advance.

If this helps, there are several websites that we locals "use" when going out... to know what's new, what's up, when, etc. Among those, one seems to stand out from the rest: www.timeout.com/barcelona They have a rather good section on food and I feel happy with many of their suggestions.... And talking about food, since you're visiting Catalonia, it'd be only normal that you'd try the local cuisine, right? :)... check out for Catalan cuisine here: https://www.timeout.com/barcelona/restaurants/the-50-best-restaurants-in-barcelona-catalan-cuisine

Also, since you're located at the Olympic Port already (Hotel Arts is there!), don't forget to drop by the fish restaurants in the marina -if you like fresh seafood-, and also the above mentioned Cangrejo Loco. I said it wouldn't be my choice for paella, but the restaurant has other specialities.

Edited by EnricM

My recommendation for a great paella: Los Caracoles in the Gothic Quarter

http://www.loscaracoles.es/index.php?lang=en

That restaurant has been around forever and is not bad for a touristy place. But having snails there is a real exercise in frustration :). They serve very tiny snails in a gravy-like sauce and expect you to eat them with a toothpick. It take a lot of work to eat dozens of those little things...and its a real challenge not to get the sauce all over one;s shirt. Have never had their Paella but would assume it would be very good. The best Paella I have ever eaten was made on a beach in Nerja (a long way from Barcelona) where a guy had a huge (it must have been at least 4 feet in diameter) paella pan which he used to make one huge batch. We were laying on the beach pretty far away but smelled that paella cooking all morning. We finally walked over at lunch time and got some plates...and it was truly heaven.

Hank

The best Paella I have ever eaten was made on a beach in Nerja (a long way from Barcelona) where a guy had a huge (it must have been at least 4 feet in diameter) paella pan which he used to make one huge batch. We were laying on the beach pretty far away but smelled that paella cooking all morning. We finally walked over at lunch time and got some plates...and it was truly heaven.

Hank

Good old Ayos! Not the best Paella in Nerja - just our opinion - and you won't find many locals there but the location and atmosphere is great.

Thanks for all your answers. Looks like we we will eat very well. Will have to come back many times to try all of them. A good problem to have. :):):)

Good old Ayos! Not the best Paella in Nerja - just our opinion - and you won't find many locals there but the location and atmosphere is great.

Very convenient to the Parador (our 2nd favorite in all of Spain). Would go back to Nerja in a heartbeat.

Hank

Very convenient to the Parador (our 2nd favorite in all of Spain). Would go back to Nerja in a heartbeat.

Hank

We love the Nerja Parador too and always call in for a drink when we go into Nerja (we only live 5 minutes drive away).

• 3 months later...
If this helps, there are several websites that we locals "use" when going out... to know what's new, what's up, when, etc. Among those, one seems to stand out from the rest: www.timeout.com/barcelona They have a rather good section on food and I feel happy with many of their suggestions.... And talking about food, since you're visiting Catalonia, it'd be only normal that you'd try the local cuisine, right? :)... check out for Catalan cuisine here: https://www.timeout.com/barcelona/restaurants/the-50-best-restaurants-in-barcelona-catalan-cuisine

Also, since you're located at the Olympic Port already (Hotel Arts is there!), don't forget to drop by the fish restaurants in the marina -if you like fresh seafood-, and also the above mentioned Cangrejo Loco. I said it wouldn't be my choice for paella, but the restaurant has other specialities.

Thanks for the above link. Do any of the restaurants offer live Guitar music during dinner? We will be in Barcelona Sept 18-21. Staying at the K+K Picasso which I believe is close to the port or beach, not that it really matters to us. This is our second stay in Barcelona and absolutely loved the beauty of your city. We love to eat where the locals do.

No sorry, I don't think so. "Restaurants with guitars" is just another way to say tourists traps.

Really? I'm surprised and wouldn't consider that a tourist trap. When we go to Greece, we have been to many restaurants that are local that have someone playing the bouzouki, just nice live music. And now that I think of it, we found a local place in Italy as well. Oh well thanks.