Soda in the Morning

navybaby1113

Is there any advantage to buying the package on the ship vs. in advance? Do you save the tax if purchased while in international waters?

No savings when pre-purchasing vs purchasing on board (unlike Cheers). Yes, you do save the tax if you wait until you are out to sea.

No savings when pre-purchasing vs purchasing on board (unlike Cheers). Yes, you do save the tax if you wait until you are out to sea.

Actually not true. Carnival now assess any sales tax on the individual drinks ordered while still in US waters, you are no longer taxed on the total package price. So unless not drinking any soda or juice on embarkation day there is no sense waiting to purchase the package either before boarding or immediately upon boarding the ship. If not planning on any soda or juice on embarkation day you can wait until you are ready to order your first soda or juice the next morning, saving yourself $6.90.

Actually not true. Carnival now assess any sales tax on the individual drinks ordered while still in US waters, you are no longer taxed on the total package price. So unless not drinking any soda or juice on embarkation day there is no sense waiting to purchase the package either before boarding or immediately upon boarding the ship. If not planning on any soda or juice on embarkation day you can wait until you are ready to order your first soda or juice the next morning, saving yourself $6.90.

So the package is sold with no tax collected for the package itself, but tax is collected for each drink poured when in port (or whenever applicable). Is that correct?

I was charged sales tax (about $7) on the Vista out of Miami for the Bottomless Bubbles package 3 weeks ago.

I was charged sales tax (about $7) on the Vista out of Miami for the Bottomless Bubbles package 3 weeks ago.

Are sure it was for tax and not the 15% auto-gratuity?

For a 7 day cruise BB for an adult breaks down like this:

$45.50 = 7 days * $6.50/day

$06.83 = 15% * $42.00

$52.32 total package price

For kids

$34.65 = 7 days * $4.95/day

$05.20 = 15% * $42.00

$39.85 total package price

If you paid about $7 for what you believe is taxes then that was on more than 1 adult package.

Room service sodas are the best. They come ICE cold in an unopened can. They aren't included in the bubbles package but every time I get a soda at a bar, it has been warm poured over ice and it melts the ice and is diluted (YUCKY).

They will give you either. The best bet is to get bubbles and find an open bar. The one I usually use is the Havana Bar or the Atrium.

Thanks. I got the bubbles program. I just don't want to be carrying around a can and prefer ice in a glass. And true, can always put it in the fridge!

Are sure it was for tax and not the 15% auto-gratuity?

For a 7 day cruise BB for an adult breaks down like this:

$45.50 = 7 days * $6.50/day

$06.83 = 15% * $42.00

$52.32 total package price

For kids

$34.65 = 7 days * $4.95/day

$05.20 = 15% * $42.00

$39.85 total package price

If you paid about $7 for what you believe is taxes then that was on more than 1 adult package.

It was an 8 night cruise, it may have been a little under $7 (don't have the receipt anymore), and yes, it clearly stated it was tax.

It was an 8 night cruise, it may have been a little under $7 (don't have the receipt anymore), and yes, it clearly stated it was tax.

In that case I would contact Carnival for a refund...

as per their FAQs

"BOTTOMLESS BUBBLES (UNLIMITED SODA PROGRAM)

Sail refreshed with Carnival's Bottomless Bubbles unlimited soda program! Enjoy the ease and convenience of paying one flat price for thirst-quenching fountain soda and juice all cruise long! Or, if you are interested in our CHEERS! package that includes alcoholic beverages and soda, click here.

Prices* are per day - a 15% gratuity will automatically be added at time of purchase of the program.

• Child price per day $4.95 USD (17 years of age and younger)
  • Adult price per day $6.50 USD (18 years of age and older)

Bottomless Bubbles can be purchased online at www.carnival.com/Funshops or by contacting 'The Fun Shops' Department at 800 522-7648, Monday through Sunday, 8:00am-10:00pm ET. Cut-off for pre-purchase is at 10:00pm ET, the evening prior to the cruise departure. Bottomless Bubbles can also be purchased onboard at bar locations.

Currently, we are not able to process the Carnival Gift Card for Fun Shop orders by telephone. If you wish to purchase Bottomless Bubbles with a Carnival Gift Card, you may do so online at www.carnival.com/Funshops.

Upon purchasing Bottomless Bubbles, a sticker will be placed on the guest's Sail & Sign card. In all areas where beverage service is offered, guests may show the Bottomless Bubbles sticker and receive a glass of the carbonated soft drink of their choice. Juices may also be requested. One 16-ounce glass will be served at a time and only to the guest whose name appears on the Sail & Sign card with the Bottomless Bubbles sticker attached.

The following beverages are offered through Bottomless Bubbles:

• Soft Drinks/Soda: Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Coca-Cola Zero, Coca-Cola Caffeine Free, Diet Coke Caffeine Free, Orange Soda, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Mr. Pibb, Barqs Root Beer, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water and Club Soda
  • Juices: Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice, Tomato Juice, Pineapple Juice, Grapefruit Juice and Fruit Punch Juice

Brands and/or flavors may vary

Note: The following beverages are available at the Lido Restaurant, 24/7 and are complimentary: Coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate, lemonade and unsweetened iced tea.

Bottomless Bubbles excludes:

• Non-alcoholic beverages other than soda and juices listed above
  • Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses
  • Bottled water
  • Specialty coffee
  • Beverages offered at gangway while debarking
  • Beverages offered through room service as well as mini bars and/or other in-stateroom beverage programs

The following restrictions apply:

• Only one beverage at a time may be ordered. There is a 5 minute wait between ordering drinks.
  • Soft drink is served by the glass (16 ounces); juice is served by the glass (10 ounces).
  • No sharing is permitted and is non-transferable. Guests or family members who would like to enjoy soft drinks through this program must purchase their own sticker.
  • Program is non-refundable.
  • Program is only applicable for onboard purchases; program cannot be used for beverage purchases at Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays in The Bahamas.

*Applicable state and local sales taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state’s tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $2 and the tax is 10%, the guest’s Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.20 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call).

*On the following Carnival Horizon cruises in Europe, the Bottomless Bubbles package is subject to a 10% Value Added Tax (VAT): 4/02/2018, 4/15/2018, 4/22/2018 and 4/29/2018.

Cruise Duration

17 Years of Age and Younger

$4.95 USD Per Day

18 Years of Age and Older

$6.50 USD Per Day

Price Including 15% Gratuity

Price Including 15% Gratuity

3 day

$17.08

$22.43

4 day

$22.77

$29.90

5 day

$28.46

$37.38

6 day

$34.16

$44.85

7 day

$39.85

$52.33

8 day

$45.54

$59.80

9 day

$51.23

$67.28

10 day

$56.93

$74.75

11 day

$62.62

$82.23

12 day

$68.31

$89.70

13 day

$74.00

$97.18

14 day

$79.70

$104.65

15 day

$85.39

$112.13

16 day

$91.08

$119.60

17 day

$96.77

$127.08

WAS THIS ANSWER HELPFUL?

YES NO"

You could just get a can of soda the evening before and stick it in your ice bucket overnight so it's nice and cold for early morning. I don't buy the Bubbles program [not a Coke fan, I need my Pepsi], but occasionally I do buy one can, and I've never had a problem when I've asked for the whole can, unopened, with a glass of ice.

You could just get a can of soda the evening before and stick it in your ice bucket overnight so it's nice and cold for early morning. I don't buy the Bubbles program [not a Coke fan, I need my Pepsi], but occasionally I do buy one can, and I've never had a problem when I've asked for the whole can, unopened, with a glass of ice.

When buying a single can of soda, you do get the whole can. With Bottemless bubbles, I was specifically told at the Havana Bar that I could not take the can as he would get in trouble and then 30 minutes later at the Red Frog Bar I was given the can without asking. Go figure.