Live from the Spirit - 26 April 17 - Rome to Nice

Zenblue100

Hope you took a kick at his yacht !! When we were in Monaco last year, the yacht Rupert Murdoch's used to own was there and in Puerto Rico last month, Abramovitch's yacht! (It wasn't much smaller than the Wind! lol

Funnily, in a few weeks I'm back in Livorno and undecided what to do. (We are there on an over nighter!) Cant be bothered with Florence or Pisa.

Lucca is lovely and not too far away.

Rp

Back to reality....and boy, it's tough. No one to deliver my coffee and bacon, oh, the horror! While I was packing, I asked John to please get me a glass of champers from "The Bar", as ours had been polished off the night before....looked like Zen's..haha!

He came back empty handed. WHAT?! "They wouldn't let me carry it..." About 30 seconds later, knock at the door and smiling young man had appeared with a cold bottle and two glasses. He proceeded to open it and pour.....ahhhhhhh. Sure could've used him last night, but alas, had to open the beer myself and drank it out of the bottle....sob, sniff. But I digress....

We were first timers on the SS, but have done Regent and Crystal a lot....In keeping this down to readable size, I'll tell what we liked and what we liked less....

LOVED the ship....just the right size, easy to navigate, windows in La Terrazza and Panorama made us always feel like we're outside, even if we weren't.

LOVED our cabin....an "ordinary" veranda cabin on deck 6. Great bath, even if only one sink, tub like a swimming pool. Yup, it's a little tight at the end of the bed, but no biggie for us. I was a little concerned about the "butler" thing. Only have had one on the QM2 and could've happily done without him. Everything was a problem. We had Dewa and Alain on the Spirit and they couldn't do enough for us....unasked. We returned to the cabin in the afternoon, to ready for the formal night. Miraculously John's good shoes had been polished and were wrapped in tissue paper in the closet....OMG! That's just one example....how wonderful!

LOVED the service. Efficient and personable....everyone talked to us! more than the usual "mamsir" thing which I personally hate!

Liked to loved the food. Best Osso Bucco of my life and the venison (yup, venison) en croute in La Champagne was amazing. Didn't love lunch in Seishin...kind of ordinary sushi/sashimi , but still fun. Had a couple of Restaurant failures, but I could've been happy with an app, a salad and the cheese course. Probably the best cheese (perfect temp) we've had on a cruise...

Bars....service outstanding, but I found the cocktails a little wanting. Did love the Pom Martini. Hors d'ouvres were not too special....

Liked the entertainment....not the best we've ever seen, but still fun....

LOVED the itinerary! Would do it all again! Shore excursions were very good, the Truffle hunting with dogs in Tuscany was amazing....could write a whole blog just on that!

We will most definately be back!;p

I loved the reference to Truffle hunting. Sometimes excursions, no matter how good, seem to blend together...not the Truffle hunting. "Our" dog was named Farrah after Farrah Faucette. Obviously, the farmer was a fan!

Wonderful, fascinating, sweet experience! If you have a chance to take this excursion, don't hesitate.

Must agree with "Pash".....Without a doubt one of the very best shore excursions we've ever taken! If you love the outdoors, working dogs AND truffles, it's not to be missed. Only one other excursion we've taken can compare....Falconing with your own bird in Scotland...another great one!