What's the worst that could happen with a guarantee balcony (Anthem)?

If you look at the deck plan on deck 5, the smoking area on the right (starboard) side, just across from the Vintages, between 2 safety boats (actually it is between the 2nd and 3rd safety boat counting from the back, or stern of the ship). From there I'm sure you can figure out if it is near or not.

Do they offer any sort of incentive or compensation when they do this?

Yes, but it depends on how oversold the ship is, like a flight. The more bumpees, the more they will likely have to offer. The starting differ is typically another cruise around the same time frame and some OBC and goes up from there. The last reported one about 3 weeks ago was someone going on a 10 day Serenade cruise who was offered a 7 day Harmony cruise and I think $200 OBC. That poster was accommodated on the original sailing. The call came about 3 days out.

I just booked a guarantee on Anthem on Monday for September 9. My cabin was already assigned. I got 7694. It looks OK. Is this near the smoking place that is mentioned in previous posts??

You are aft of th smoking stop it is near the middle of recess between the aft stairs and 270. Looks like you are on the back hump.

I remember your other posts, plus my DH and I just sailed Anthem while my DH is recovering from surgery. He was in a full leg brace at the time and on a cane. We were about 10 cabins forward of the forward elevators and it was really too much walking for him.

Hoping next month on Allure goes better.:)

Edit to add: Since you aren't getting an accessible cabin, I am not sure if you need any accessibility features. I ordered a shower stool from the Special Needs department so that my DH didn't need to stand in the shower. It is a tight fit, but I was able to put one of the legs of the stool behind the little bar for shaving your legs and that gave him more room. The stool wasn't actually there when we got to the cabin, but our cabin steward was able to get us one. Not sure if that is something you might need too. :)

Oh wow! That rough to go on vacation with a full brace. I remember back in college I had foot surgery just before I left for a semester in Italy. There was a lot of walking and a lot of suffering that first month! Your hubby in a full leg brace reminded me of that. I too hope it goes better on your next cruise.

I appreciate the tip about the special needs. Hopefully I won't end up needing something like that but always good to know it's available if I do. I have a genetic deformity in my right leg so my knee can be very precarious if I'm not careful and I cannot go up and down stairs easily. I also have fibromyalgia and if I'm dealing with a flare up everything becomes much more difficult in addition to my leg problem. There's no way to know if that will happen on a cruise so I like to prepare ahead just in case.

So rather than the "worst" that can happen, consider what will probably happen. That is you will save money on a decent to good balcony cabin. And if you don't like where they put you then you might be able to move.

You're very right! And I definitely did think of it that way. But then I got worried about things that would just drive me mad. I have a really hard time getting comfortable and I don't want to be that person who complains my whole trip. So rather than put other people out, I try to deal with potential pit falls in advance.

Yes, but it depends on how oversold the ship is, like a flight. The more bumpees, the more they will likely have to offer. The starting differ is typically another cruise around the same time frame and some OBC and goes up from there. The last reported one about 3 weeks ago was someone going on a 10 day Serenade cruise who was offered a 7 day Harmony cruise and I think $200 OBC. That poster was accommodated on the original sailing. The call came about 3 days out.

Oh god! I would not be happy about a shortened cruise or being out on a different ship!

Oh god! I would not be happy about a shortened cruise or being out on a different ship!

Like with the airlines, there's a point at which the compensation is high enough that people's attraction with the original cruise wanes.;).

But then I got worried about things that would just drive me mad. I have a really hard time getting comfortable and I don't want to be that person who complains my whole trip.

That's why GTY bookings are so personal - cabin location value is very subjective.

Like with the airlines, there's a point at which the compensation is high enough that people's attraction with the original cruise wanes.;).

I don't think $200 would be that point to me.

That's why GTY bookings are so personal - cabin location value is very subjective.

Yes, very much so. Which is precisely why I asked this question. I wasn't sure how bothered in could be by choosing that. I realize now that it's worth the small investment to make sure I'm in a good spot.

Booked a gty on Anthem last year and was assigned a D4 on deck 13. Unfortunately it was directly below solarium hot tub which promised to be noisy. Did a lot of cc research and couldn't find anyone who with a nice thing to say about deck 13. You're either underneath the solarium, pool deck or windjammer and all have noise issues, especially when they're cleaning and moving furniture early in the A.M. Asked to be thrown back into the gty pool but Royal said no.

Noise was more important than a perfect view so for a few dollars more switched to a DO on deck 6. There are several extensive threads on DO's that reveal some with little to no obstruction. Ended up in 6162, extended balcony with great view down the length of the ship. 6160 next door has no obstruction at all. The "porthole" DO's on decks 7 and 8 also have no obstructions. Would have no qualms about booking any of these.

to add something in here about obstructed view cabins. we were in 6066 last year and the life boat roof was even with the top of the balcony railing. when standing the view is just fine. we are booked now in an DO. this one happens to be an deluxe obstructed view balcony cabin. it is cabin 7112, a porthole view type. we have seen the pictures and read the reviews and for the price this is a good deal. this will be the second leg of our first b2b cruise and Dec. can't get here fast enough. happy cruising everyone.:cool:

The independence on January 4 was oversold.

I didn't have a guarantee cabin, but living in Florida, got me the offer.

I received an email from my TA with three or four offers and I said nope! Free cruise, only port charges and taxes.

Came back a day later and offered free cruise for nine nights on the navigator of the seas.

No OBC offered.

I said Yep! Same cabin type.

Glad I went. Learned don't do Aruba in January.

Residents told me it often rains, and is not warm like the summer.

Water was cold for scuba diving and then no warmth between dives.

I was told I would like it better when it is warmer and less chance of rain.

I was told the water temperature doesn't get very much warmer though.

Met Nadja in the CL.

She spoke to everyone and treated all who had a key to open the door the same!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app