Here is where to punch a hole in RFID SeaPass Card (X-Ray)

Interesting. Thanks for the pix. Having worked in the industry that developed these types of cards ( a long time ago), the unfortunate reality is that the RFID chip can be in the corner diagonally opposite of the image on the card (above the A2) depending on how the chip and antenna components flow into the laminating machines.

Interesting. Thanks for the pix. Having worked in the industry that developed these types of cards ( a long time ago), the unfortunate reality is that the RFID chip can be in the corner diagonally opposite of the image on the card (above the A2) depending on how the chip and antenna components flow into the laminating machines.

Thanks. That is an important point. Considering that, probably the best area on the Anthem Cards would be a small hole right in the center of the RFID logo

dp

Thanks. That is an important point. Considering that, probably the best area on the Anthem Cards would be a small hole right in the center of the RFID logo

Except, as I mentioned, on the Quantum card I had, the antenna wiring was closer to the edge of the card.

Except, as I mentioned, on the Quantum card I had, the antenna wiring was closer to the edge of the card.

Also true. One can confirm where the antenna passes if you have a good flashlight. I was able to see the antenna and chip with a flashlight through the card but it was difficult to take a picture that way. But it would be easy to see if the antenna goes through the RFID logo or not.

I just had an Idea, I taped my SeaPass Card to one of my LED Studio Lights and took a picture. This would be too difficult with a flashlight and a regular studio light would melt the card, but a cheapy LED battery operated studio light worked OK.

_HGD2165_1.jpg

dp

This would be too difficult with a flashlight and a regular studio light would melt the card, but a cheapy LED battery operated studio light worked OK.

That's great, but where would one get one of those while on the ship:confused:?

That's great, but where would one get one of those while on the ship:confused:?

Like I said: " One can confirm where the antenna passes if you have a good flashlight." Most people I assume have a cell phone. And the LED light on the cell phone is bright enough to see through the SeaPass Card enough to confirm where the antenna passes. It is however difficult to photograph the card like that. I just used the studio light in order to make it easy to take a picture.

The image in my post #29 is not an X-Ray, it is just a regular picture taken with a bright light shinning on the back of the card.

dp

Seems like a small binder clip or id pouch be a little easier than punching? A binder clip would be smaller to pack than a hole punch.

My employer issues similar badges which we can attach to lanyard or pull reels with an "Id Gripper" (also work provided) http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=id+gripper&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=id+gripper&_sacat=0

The ID gripper is quite sturdy. I'm sure something similar would work for the cheap low coercivity magnetic cards used by RCCL/Celebrity, too. Those demagnetize easily, though, so I always keep it in a specific pocket away from my gadgets. http://magicofmiles.boardingarea.com/2015/07/30/sneaky-secrets-why-your-hotel-key-card-stops-working/

Thank you for posting this. I like to punch my cards for lanyard use, I'm too paranoid I'll do something stupid with my card otherwise while drunk.

That being said, it does seem like the clear ID holder might be the better option. Since these are RFID cards, they shouldn't have to "swipe" them through a reader like a credit card like on other ships, correct? They just simply touch the card to a scanner, right? So it's not like you'd have to take the card out of the holder for each drink. You can just hand them the whole thing and they can scan it just like that. Right?

Interesting, so I just tried to look at mine from harmony. No flashlight I had would allow me to see anything so I tried my apple light. I could only see through if I pressed the card to the light and then only a small 1/8" dot where the light was. The card is purple.

Anyway, I can follow a thin line across the top to the sides and then the sides have a thick piece that you can't see through, that extends to the bottom on each side.. There is also another thin line going right through the middle meeting the sides.

Nothing like the card pictured.

^ might be different stock for Harmony. I used the OP's technique on my Quantum card and it does work with my phone's light but barely. I guess I remembered it wrong because the Quantum card chip and antenna are just about in the same location as the one pictured from Anthem.