Fuel upcharge letter

prshaker

I have been advised by an acquaintance that HAL has been issuing letters to confirmed passengers stating that due to fuel increases they will increasing the amount of their cruise fare.

Is this possible? And if so is it possible after the final payment has been made on the cruise?

Info appreciated.

I have been advised by an acquaintance that HAL has been issuing letters to confirmed passengers stating that due to fuel increases they will increasing the amount of their cruise fare.

Is this possible? And if so is it possible after the final payment has been made on the cruise?

Info appreciated.

I can't imagine they could raise the cost of the cruise AFTER final payment has been made. I'd be awfully p***ed if they did.

I would imagine this letter is probably going out to people with future bookings that have not hit the final payment stage yet. I guess HAL could do that ... since people could always cancel if they were unhappy with the surcharge.

I must say, though, this doesn't surprise me. Lots of lines are doing it, including some of the six star ones.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think the cruiselines have the ability to raise prices before any final payment is made if I remember any of the contracts correctly. Its always advertising as prices not final until fully paid. They try not to do such a thing because of the bad publicity but I am sure they are just itching to unleash this fuel surcharge. I think fuel surcharges are a big joke myself and I rather they just raise the prices overall. But getting back to your question: I find it hard they would be able to do it on people who have already fully paid their cruise.

We were on the Amsterdam in 2002 doing a Panama Canal Cruise and after boarding a letter was sent to all cabins advising that since the Canal fee had gone up they would be adding the extra cost to our onboard bill on a per person breakdown.

It was not a lot but just an irritation about not being informed earlier.

The same thing happened to us in 02 on the Rotterdam. I think it was something like $15pp added to our bill. It`s strange though, that a fuel surcharge would be added now, just as fuel prices have dropped considerably these last 2 weeks.........jean:cool:

We were on the Amsterdam in 2002 doing a Panama Canal Cruise and after boarding a letter was sent to all cabins advising that since the Canal fee had gone up they would be adding the extra cost to our onboard bill on a per person breakdown.

It was not a lot but just an irritation about not being informed earlier.

I'd be p***ed about that too ... regardless of the amount added to my fare. The "Canal fee" is a part of their operating costs. If the fee went up, that's their problem ... not mine. Same with port charges. If we skip a port, I expect a refund for that charge, regardless of how small.

A cruise price is set when I book the cruise. Okay, if I haven't made final payment yet, and they raise it, I guess I have no recourse. But they'd better raise it while I am still in my cancellation period, so that I do have the option of saying "the heck with this" and going with another line if the increase is bothersome to me.

I always liken this to buying a high ticket item in a store. If you tell me that 60-inch plasma tv is gonna cost me $6,000, and I hand over my credit card ... there had better not be anything additional (other than sales tax) added to that $6,000 charge. We agreed on a price and that's the price I expect to pay. Same with a cruise. As a business person, you have to be saavy enough to build into your sailing price a "cushion" for increased costs. If you don't do that, and some of your costs go up, don't expect me to subsidize your poor planning.

Just my humble opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

In other words, if the cruise line's costs go up, as in Port charges, the cruise line should not charge the passenger - then why would you expect a refund of port charges for a missed port? You can't have your cake & eat it too. Either pay the difference in port charges and expect a refund of missed port charges OR don't pay the difference and do not expect a refund.

Can't think of an incident were additional money was requested by the cruise line after final payment.

Can't remember dates, but there was a time when Vancouver Airport could and did charge extra for flight departures - you could pay on board or at checkin prior to departure....seems to me it was around $12.00 CAD$.

I have written on this once before, and will try it again from memory.

According to the cruise contract, they have the option of adding a fuel surcharge at any time prior to embarkation (yes, even after final payment is made). While I do not remember the exact wording from the contract, I believe that they must inform you of the increase, and then you have X number of days to pay. If you do not pay/ do not agree with the extra charge, you are entitled to a full refund of your fare.

I guess they have the right. It is in that fine print section of the cruise contract, just don't have one in front of me right at the moment.

The only part about this thread that really catches my attention is that it is a friend who was advised by this acquaintance......

He/She doesn't have the letter; doesn't have the details of it; doesn't know if it was sent before or after final payment; and my impression is they haven't even seen this "letter".

We have five cruises booked; we've made final payment; never heard of any such letter. I haven't seen one.

I think it would be great if the acquaintance would share the terminology and terms of it with us. I'd like that in order to even form an opinion about it.

I doubt it exists. Just My Opinion....but I doubt there is such a letter being sent to 'booked passengers'.

In other words, if the cruise line's costs go up, as in Port charges, the cruise line should not charge the passenger - then why would you expect a refund of port charges for a missed port? You can't have your cake & eat it too. Either pay the difference in port charges and expect a refund of missed port charges OR don't pay the difference and do not expect a refund.

I would expect a refund of the port charges I PAID ... not the raised price if I didn't pay it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If HAL is doing this it must be very recent, my final payment was due on 11/12 and I did not get any such letter.

I didn't get any such letter for my upcoming Amsterdam cruise in January ... one that is traveling from San Diego to the South Pacific ... and thus using A LOT of fuel. I would imagine HAL would be even more anxious to recoup an increased fuel cost on that sort of cruise ... but we have gotten nothing in the way of any such letter.

Like I said, if such a letter is going out, I'd be willing to bet it will only be for people who have cruises booked into the future ... for which they are still within the cancellation period, and far from final payment day.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I would have understood this several months ago when fuel prices were at their highest, but not after final payment under any circumstances. Our fuel prices here have gone down considerably in the last 2 weeks, up to $1 per gallon for super. Haven't gotten anything from them regarding this for our 2/22 cruise - guess will wait and see.

By coincidence, I was just reading the fine print on the contract for my 12/5 cruise on the Westerdam (I am a compliance analyst, so I always read the small print)......and yes, at ANY time before embarkation, HAL may assess a fuel surcharge. The consumer has the right to cancel and receive a full refund should they choose not to pay the surcharge.

I agree Sail, We just paid Final Payment for our February cruise and did not pay more nor have we gotten any such letter. Oddly the price dropped recently for our corner aft cabin so we switched and this past week the price had gone back up, but we were locked in at the cheaper rate. I just think it dropped long enough for us to get the cheaper price and return to 5187:D

Please consider this. If HAL is sending letters and assessing a fuel surcharge, they are NOT raising the cruise fare. Your cost is increasing, but it isn't in the fare. It's for the added cost of fuel.

Yes, fuel is down a bit now. But the fuel in question may have been purchased before the recent drop. Remember the stories regarding how well Southwest Airlines did during the fuel cost spike because of their hedge buys of aviation fuel? It can work the opposite way, too. HAL had to make a fuel buy for these upcoming cruises many weeks ago. Timing is everything.

And regarding things like port charges and Panama Canal fees, any cruise line has to make an estimate of costs many, many months in advance of actual sailings. If their operational costs go up more than minimally, they have to take action. Sure, I'll grouse since I don't want to have to pay more ... but it's a fact of life. Look at what our electric, natural gas and fuel oil utilities are doing right now. Same thing, IMO.

Letter circulating? I don't know. But I don't doubt there could be one under present economic circumstances. Bottom line, as others have pointed out, is that HAL has the right to tack on a fuel surcharge ... and I have the right to cancel my cruise if I don't want to pay it.

I found on bunker world that right now 1 metric ton of bunker fuel cost between 258.00 and 280.00 USD and up 7% from last year.

I wondering why my countdown is not showing only showing an ad for caribbean magazine?

Paul

I agree Sail, We just paid Final Payment for our February cruise and did not pay more nor have we gotten any such letter. Oddly the price dropped recently for our corner aft cabin so we switched and this past week the price had gone back up, but we were locked in at the cheaper rate. I just think it dropped long enough for us to get the cheaper price and return to 5187:D

I have a price drop question. Do you monitor this your self or does your TA track this for you.

If you do it what site do you watch. http://www.hal.com, expedia, orbitz or something different.

Joni

Since we've been shopping our cruises over the Internet for the last couple of years I routinely check two sites once I've booked. I go back to HAL and to the TA I've booked with to check their prices. Hasn't happened yet but in the case HAL lowered their price I'd go to the TA and see if they would lower theirs. I won't assume they would or wouldn't....but I'd ask. Again, this has never happened but I'd do the same if the TA lowered their price without HAL doing so. Checking other sites would be OK I guess and if I were to see a big drop I'd probably call it to my TA's attention in hopes of getting a lower fare but again I'd not count on it.

Since I started this issue yesterday I was informed by my TA that if I wished to avoid any fuel upcharge, for my Ryndam cruise in Feb 06, that I should make my final payment (one week early).

Once the confirmation is received the chance of a letter is greatly reduced albeit as others herein have stated the contract does state at any time prior to embarkation.

I also garner that no person in this forum has recently seen such a letter?

Thank you one and all for your comments on this issue

Archived