Carnival MAGIC - Trip Review and Diary - April 15th to 22nd - Lots of Pictures!

Catrin

This is a great review. We are thinking about going on the Magic for the second time in October but the western this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you!!!

We were so happy to return the Magic. Although significantly more crowded this time, she remains our favorite ship.

More to come!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I enjoyed your review. Thank you for taking the time to write it and to show those awesome photos.

We have sailed a lot on Carnival, but never on the Magic. As the Dream is our favorite ship of all time, I am hoping the two are similar.

. Did they have the Super Trivia that is held on Sea Days?

We have most recently been on RCI Freedom of the Seas( great people. great staff. Did not like as much as Carnival) And Eurodam. Loved everything about it but nothing to do on Sea Days if you don't swim or drink. We had set dining on both........We loved our Wait staff on both........We tipped extra for Both.........You are so right about something special about having the same people as staff in the MDR.

That said.......We have anytime. Like you...........for more flexibility. Might beg and plead to change it back to Early Dining.

Thanks again for the review.

Edited by AmberTeka

We had set dining on both........We loved our Wait staff on both........We tipped extra for Both.........You are so right about something special about having the same people as staff in the MDR.

That said.......We have anytime. Like you...........for more flexibility. Might beg and plead to change it back to Early Dining.

Thanks again for the review.

I love having the same staff too (unless you get one you aren't thrilled with :(), but we found that you can request the same staff during anytime dining. You might not always get them if you go during the busiest times unless you are will to wait, but we have been very lucky. The upside besides being to go whenever you want is getting a different wait staff if you aren't happy and getting to request where you sit. We were always accommodated when asking to sit by a window.

Really have enjoyed reading your review although we are not cruising the Magic. We did the Magic a while back and loved it. We have also had Dr. E on our cruise and I think he is one of the best CDs out there. We will be cruising the Breeze in July.

Really have enjoyed reading your review although we are not cruising the Magic. We did the Magic a while back and loved it. We have also had Dr. E on our cruise and I think he is one of the best CDs out there. We will be cruising the Breeze in July.

Thank you!! I hope to finish tonight or tomorrow!! Still two days to go!! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well.... Life got the best of me the last few days.... I have a few hours to finish this hopefully today!!

Where was I ???

Thursday April 20th – La Isla Bonita… Cozumel!

We Love Cozumel. Just something about this island feels like home. Out of our 19 cruises, about half have visited Cozumel. The mixture between great beaches, nice people and great port area makes Cozumel one port we never get sick of.

Our plans for today was to once again visit one of our favorite beaches – Mr. Sanchos. We were NOT going to do the All Inclusive package, because we were in Cozumel for a short time this cruise. Our plans was to take a taxi for $16.00 directly to the beach, relax on the left side of the beach where the Pay As You Go customers are, buy a few drinks, nachos, enjoyt he beach and then head back to the ship with a stop at the port for some shopping.

BUT>>> BUT>>> Mother Nature had different plans. We woke up to a cloudy, overcast day. We knew in Mexico rain is a regular thing. And we also know that it can rain like buckets for 10 minutes and then the sun can be out in another 10. But this day looked completely different. This was NOT a beach day,although we could take the risk and hope the clouds never open up. But the three of us decided that that chance was slim to none… and not worth spending the $35 on Taxi Rides to get rained on.

IMG_2683_zpsj7axutfi.jpg

Although we were disappointed, being instead, we decided to have a leisurly breakfast on the Lido Deck and then take a walk the port area. We had some company, as the Fantasy and Vista joined us for a VERY BUSY Cozumel Port!

IMG_2687_zpsucst6nuu.jpg

IMG_2690_zpsydmnyzjb.jpg

I think 75% of the passengers of the three ships had the same idea as us. While it was a loss for the many beaches, taxi drivers and independent tour operators, this day was a paradise for the shop keepers. All stores were PACKED with folks buying T shirts, Souvenirs, Dresses, Jewelry,etc. For the first time, we actually took our time just browsing and laughing at some of the items for sale. We enjoyed taking our time through Ron Jon Surf Shop, and the other shops. Allison had a bracelet made and I enjoyed looking for a simple silver ring (that I never bought).

IMG_2691_zpsbjzlhns1.jpg

IMG_2697_zpsg09speh9.jpg

IMG_2702_zps6mtphyfh.jpg

We went into Fat Tuesdays, which was WALL TO WALL with folk seating and drinking at noon. Steve wanted to buy a T shirt… when all of a sudden, almost without warning… the SKY TOTALLY OPENED UP and RAINED… no wait…POURED … rain like only Mexico and the Islands can produce. We were so lucky to be undercover and we decided to wait it out for a few minutes. Sure enough, once Steve purchased his shirt, had a shot (free with Ts hirt purchase!) the rain had slowed down and we were off to browse once again.

IMG_2706_zpsczrupy7j.jpg

IMG_2709_zpsicj3mgcg.jpg

IMG_2713_zpsn3l6pwen.jpg

A few stops later, and we were ready to head back to the ship. While we were sad our day was cut short, we were not sad all together, because we actually enjoyed our time just walking, browsing and people watching.

IMG_2718_zpsgf5vjyrz.jpg

IMG_2732_zpsgettkxin.jpg

One thing about a rainy day in Cozumel, I have to really give the ship staff a lot of credit. On a day where over 95% of the passengers leave the ship for a whole day, they now had to serve lunch to so many more than anticipated. The Lido Deck was full, and I am sure there were people working who normally have a few hours off. I went to the Deli this day and had a simple Tuna Sandwich. I kept on forgetting to go to the BBQ on Deck 5!!

We played some Trivia in the afternoon, took a nap, and before we knew it it was time to leave Cozumel. I think for everyone a 2:30 departure time was just too early!! Allison spent the afternoon in Circle C with her friends and Steve and I browsed the ship and hung out in the Red Frog Pub.

This night was the second elegant night…. And we did something that we have NEVER DONE in 19 cruises. We skipped it. Two reasons really. One, we just did not feel like getting dressed up and two, we really were not thrilled with the dining room dinners this week. They were GOOD, but nothing fantastic all week. So around 6pm, I said to Steve and Allison, let’s go check out the Lido Deck buffet. If we don’t like it, we can go get dressed and go to dinner (the benefit of Your Time Dining!). Once we looked at the buffet, we all agreed that it looked GOOD and we would just eat the Lido. WELL, Us and TONS Of people!! I could not get over how many folks were with us. I am beginning to wonder if one elegant night is enough for most passengers. I had steak for dinner, which was the best meat dish I had all week. I had it with a baked potato, broccoli and Salad. Just as good as if I ordered it downstairs. Steve had some fish and a huge portion of carved turkey, and a salad. Allison was happy with Salad and soup. We liked just taking our time, and actually really enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and dinner this evening. Although we usually love the dining room, I would not hesitate eating at the Lido Buffet once or twice during future cruises.

IMG_2745_zpsm9dvkpo5.jpg

IMG_2749_zps8wvkhgkv.jpg

We walked by the rainy deck after dinner, where there were plenty of folks wrapped in blankets under the canopy and on Deck 11 watching the movies!! We caught a few minutes of movies here or there... but our timing was off this cruise. Early movies started TOO early, late movies TOO late. Plus, our movie fanatic Matthew was missing this cruise, so no one really asked us to have family movie night!

IMG_2756_zpsrrzje4uk.jpg

IMG_2757_zpsbgdcv4pn.jpg

After Dinner, Steve and I browsed the shops, looked at pictures, then settled on a couch on Deck 4 overlooking the Magic Atrium. We just talked and watched people as we waited for one of the highlights of the week – the 70’s and 80’s Sing-a-long party with Rev. Dr. E.

This party was similar to the Motown Singalong, but crazier,funnier and wilder!! There were so many folks into it, singing, dancing and really having a blast. Rev. Dr E changed into many costumes… wigs for Tina Turner and Prince, Elton John, Michael Jackson, etc. We had a perfect seat overlooking deck three and I sang my heart out to all the songs.

A pretty early night for us…. As the next day is our last full day… Cannot believe this cruise is almost over!!

IMG_2763_zpsebo93fz6.jpg

The Blue Iguana is my favorite spot onboard, and now I'm even more excited to go on the Magic (hopefully they have this on my Liberty cruise before the Magic). Taco salad/salads in a taco bowl is one of my favorite meals!!! Thanks for the information and photo.

040aabaf-ef08-4982-bc0b-2a0b80d324ac_zpssenrtuin.jpg

DSCN0078_zpshhayiwbk.jpg

Steve and Allison decided to have Pool time.. and I went down to the Ocean Plaza to play Trivial Pursuit. What a blast that game was! This game is a bit different, as there are only 6 teams.. so you just gather the people you are sitting near and form a team! While we did not win, there were tons of laughs and fun. It was different than normal Trivia.. and I wish they did this a few more times during the cruise.

After Trivia, I met up with Steve and we had lunch. I made a NEW lunch discovery this cruise…. An addition to the Blue Iguana…. TACO SALADIN A TACO SHELL!!!!!! This, to me, was awesome. Similar to Chipotle or Moe’s –just fill it with whatever you like!! What a great lunch. Steve had his basic huge salad and carved turkey. He was so good this cruise, so disciplined. No wonder why he gained just .8lbs and I gained 5!!

I spent the afternoon exactly as I should have.. doingNOTHING. We watched a bit of the HairyChest Contest (always a hoot!)… then a little reading, a closing my eyes andnapping, a little trivia, a little browsing the shops, a little listening to music,a little people watching!!

IMG_2406_zpsyrnwrxlr.jpg

IMG_2411_zps9oigakqe.jpg

IMG_2399_zpsxxkrkgrh.jpg

Thank you. I loved that you kept your review positive, even though there were a few things that could have been improved. Your review is very helpful and I hope our upcoming Magic cruise July 8th is as much fun as yours was.

Sent from my iPad using Forums