Portuguese man o’ war return......

SailBadtheSinner

Totally understand that wind and currents are unpredictable, wasn't sure if there were some beaches that were more protected. Also heard they weren't typical in July, but Horseshoe bay was closed yesterday.

It is only closed to swimming. The lifeguards have people get out of the water. That gets reported because the lifeguards are at Horseshoe. That does not mean there are no Man o Wars at the other beaches. It means at other beaches you are on your own.

This is a Good time to visit the beach's on the other side of the island ( St. George / St. David ) as the P.O.M.'s are driven by the wind. ;)

They were there too- we were at the beach at the Mid Ocean Club last week. Little baby ones but they still hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this caused by climate change?

People are overreacting. The Atlantic is full of these buggers. A wind change and they are blown in. While it happens more in the spring it could happen any time. Most days they are not an issue. That it happened July 3 does not mean anything about any other day this week, next week, this month or next month or any particular beach. The only advance plan you can make is to be aware they exist and stay away from them if you see one.

I have been at the beach 2 times when they were an issue. I estimate I have been to Bermuda beaches about 30 times. Was in the water and did not get stung. I didn't see anyone else get stung. Didn't leave the beach and after an hour we were able to go back in and we did go back in.

Edited by Charles4515

They were there too- we were at the beach at the Mid Ocean Club last week. Little baby ones but they still hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't Mid Ocean Club off South road, the same road as Horseshoe bay is?:confused:

Try the Leeward side of the Island next time.:)

Isn't Mid Ocean Club off South road, the same road as Horseshoe bay is?:confused:

Try the Leeward side of the Island next time.:)

The beach there is a beautiful private beach that used to have famous natural arches that were destroyed by a hurricane. I got to see it on a Blue Flag taxi tour. The beach is on the south shore.