Another Booksafe Question

AndyT3

Hi Everyone! I am new to NCL, and have a question about a current booking I have.

I decided to decline the Booksafe coverage from NCL, and go with a third party provider (which I am still doing research on). However, when going to look at my Vacation Summary on MyNCL, I see that the cost of the Booksafe is rolled into our total cruise fare, and shows as part of the total due when I go to make a payment.

However, it is not listed on the PDF copy of the confirmation that my PCC sent to me. Is it normal for the NCL website to try to roll the cost all together like that even if you have declined the coverage?

I plan on calling my PCC later this evening to check with him, but figured I'd ask here first. Is it possible that he "accidentally" added coverage after sending our confirmation to us?

The payment breakdown on your PDF confirmation and on your Vacation Summary are supposed to match. If they don't, the Vacation Summary is more up to date so it is more likely to accurately reflect the current state of your booking. In other words, it sounds like the insurance somehow got added back on to your booking somehow, at some point. Maybe a mistake by your PCC, maybe a computer error, maybe something more evil going on, but all you need to do is call your PCC and have it taken off.

Just spoke with my PCC, and he was saying that as of May 1st NCL automatically adds Booksafe coverage to all reservations.

He said I should get two confirmation emails with two different booking numbers, one with Booksafe and one without. Then I just make payments to the reservation with/without coverage in regards to wanting coverage or not wanting coverage. I'm not sure how this is the case as I have only got one confirmation with Booksafe rolled into the total due amount.

Is anyone else familiar with this new policy?

For coverage I have found that USAA has had pretty good rates and I know I can get a hold of them. I prefer not to buy insurance from the company I am insuring against them going out of business or having a major issue in general.

Makes no sense to me, but I haven't made a booking since May 1. Have you actually secured the booking with a deposit, or do you just have a hold for now? I didn't think it was possible to have two simultaneous holds on the same room, but that's the only way I can make sense of what your PCC said. But it still sounds weird.

Makes no sense to me, but I haven't made a booking since May 1. Have you actually secured the booking with a deposit, or do you just have a hold for now? I didn't think it was possible to have two simultaneous holds on the same room, but that's the only way I can make sense of what your PCC said. But it still sounds weird.

We have secured the room with a deposit. Our PCC has sent us two confirmations, one with Booksafe and one without. They both show the same confirmation number.

This still throws me for a loop however because on MyNCL, it shows the Standard Booksafe as being added to our reservation and the extra charge is rolled into the grand total due.

I tried to call the general 800 number to speak to a "generic" rep, but I was asked for my name and once they looked up my reservation, they transferred me back to my PCC.

I'm at a loss right now.

I don't understand how one deposit can be used for two distinct bookings (and there can be two active bookings for the same room, even if they are held by the same person). And if you have two bookings, it seems like they should both show up on your MyNCL.

Can't you ask your PCC to cancel the booking with the insurance? You'll have to cancel it sooner or later, otherwise when you hit final payment, they could take your deposit as a cancellation penalty.

It seems as he initially misspoke.

We only have one reservation number, but he said that he emailed me two PDF copies of our reservation; one with insurance, and one without.

This doesn't seem to be the case, as I can only find the copy with insurance.

I'm currently on hold with NCL to speak with a general service rep. Hopefully they can tell me what the deal is.

So, turns out that they just tend to add it on to the reservation regardless of your request.

You can remove the insurance up until final payment date, or leave it in place.

After some back and forth about how important it is, so on and so forth, this rep agreed to remove it from our reservation. Not sure what was so hard for our PCC to do that, but at least it is taken care of.

Agreed, sounds like the typical tactics that many PCCs use. I don't think anything changed on May 1, probably just a line they were feeding you. :mad:

Most likely.

After hearing that you can remove it before final payment date, most probably forget that it's there and end up purchasing it inadvertently.

I understand these folks have to make money, but I feel they should maybe go about it with a more honest approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks like I spoke too soon!

Somehow, the insurance has made it back onto a confirmation, and is now showing again after being removed from the Payments section of MyNCL.

Who the heck can I contact to have this removed once and for all? Do these PCCs really think I wouldn't notice the extra $318 charge?

The thing is, whenever I call they see who my PCC is and try to transfer me back to him. Tonight, I got another PCC only because mine was out of the office. I thought she finally removed it, but turns out she didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The saga is over!

I called the general 800 number and spoke with a rep, explaining the trouble I've been having. She immediately removed the insurance, and sent me an updated invoice. Not sure why we couldn't have done that originally, but at least it has been resolved.