NJ Transit Question

biojeep

Due to the construction at LGA we are considering flying into EWR & taking the train to Penn Station then a cab to our hotel in Times Square. My question is where do we put 2 large suitcases on the NJ Transit? From what I have seen the train seems to be the fastest way to get into NYC.

Due to the construction at LGA we are considering flying into EWR & taking the train to Penn Station then a cab to our hotel in Times Square. My question is where do we put 2 large suitcases on the NJ Transit? From what I have seen the train seems to be the fastest way to get into NYC.

You keep them in the aisle. Try to get a seat at the end of the car to stay out of the way.

What exact date and time would you be doing this? A lot of folks will get off after one stop at Newark Penn Station.

What is the address of your hotel? You might do better paying a bit more to take the airport bus (under the bus luggage storage - stops on baggage claim level at each terminal) to Port Authority Bus Terminal (outside street stop). No schlepping your luggage on the Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station and no schlepping it through New York Penn Station from the train level to the street.

They are doing track work at New York Penn Station and ongoing delays are expected. No real feedback on this yet.

NJ Transit trains are not traveler friendly for those with luggage! Traveling off peak hours will not be an issue. At one end of each train car is a section of seats with their back against the wall of the train, these seats face the aisle and are the best to occupy if traveling with luggage.

We will be staying at Novotel Times Square on W 52nd Street.

Given the recent history of NJ Transit delays and cancellations caused by problems at Penn Station, with additional issues that will arise when Amtrak starts shutting down tracks coming into the station for repair, I'd stay away from NJ Transit and instead take the airport express bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal. From there it's a short inexpensive taxi ride to your hotel. You may end up paying a few dollars more for the bus versus the train, but that will be at least somewhat offset by paying less for the taxi ride to your hotel as Port Authority Bus Terminal is closer to your hotel than is Penn Station.

Here's information on the bus:

https://www.newarkairportexpress.com/

Best way to get from Newark hotel to manhatten cruiseport? I plann on returning to airport in the morning. Any experices with go airlock shared shuttle? I'm going solo

It looks like you're sailing Breakaway on 6/11 which is a Sunday. Shared shuttles are not recommended in New York like they are in other parts of the country. There are three airports and three cruiseports and the chances are you will end up riding around to a variety of locations before being dropped off. Public transit plus cab is the way to go.

Which Newark hotel are you staying in? How well can you manage your luggage? Train to New York Penn Station plus cab to the port or airport bus to Port Authority Bus terminal plus cab to the port are your most economical and reliable choices - about $25-30 each way from an airport hotel - less from a downtown Newark hotel. Post back with your hotel name (and what you're paying for it and if it's cancellable) and we will provide more details and suggestions.

I'm also a solo traveler and have tried many ways to get to and from Cape Liberty by public transit. The best economical choice I'm seeing for you for 6/10 is the Robert Treat in downtown Newark for $112 plus tax on United.com. This hotel offers free airport shuttle and free Newark Penn Station shuttle plus free breakfast and free wifi. Train from Newark Penn to New York Penn is $5.25 and cab to the port is $10-15. I have stayed at this hotel for precruise from Cape Liberty,

I'm staying at springhill suites Newark 73 dollars! I can manage luggage I just bring one suit case. It has great spinners! I cruise solo a lot but out of Florida. So I have that down! Never been to New to York! I'm always up early. So I don't mind getting back to airport to get transportation earlier the better for me. Thanks for suggestions

I'm staying at springhill suites Newark 73 dollars! I can manage luggage I just bring one suit case. It has great spinners! I cruise solo a lot but out of Florida. So I have that down! Never been to New to York! I'm always up early. So I don't mind getting back to airport to get transportation earlier the better for me. Thanks for suggestions

Great deal at Springhill Suites!

Go back to the airport and take the airport bus early on a Sunday morning from one of the terminals. http://web.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/94/NAERACKCARD.pdf

This drops you on the street outside Port Authority Bus Terminal where you can get a cab to the port.

We will be going on September 29 of this year

The major ongoing track work at Penn Station is supposed to be completed by the end of summer. So theoretically (a very big "theory"), the trains should be running more or less on time by September 29.

For the time being, the track work is causing significant delays on NJ Transit trains in and out of Penn Station just about every day. Rush-hour trains are the most severely affected, with routine delays of 30-45 minutes (and sometimes more).

The major ongoing track work at Penn Station is supposed to be completed by the end of summer. So theoretically (a very big "theory"), the trains should be running more or less on time by September 29.

For the time being, the track work is causing significant delays on NJ Transit trains in and out of Penn Station just about every day. Rush-hour trains are the most severely affected, with routine delays of 30-45 minutes (and sometimes more).

That's good news! No multiyear project like the Skyway or Bayonne Bridge. That's why it's so important that folks tell us the exact dates and times they want to go between Newark and New York - my advice could change depending on the time of day. Even with delays the train could be faster than any ground transportation during rush hour.

For what it's worth, here is NJ Transit's current "official" travel advisory for Penn Station, as posted at the NJ Transit website:

Due to ongoing Amtrak track maintenance work and track inspections leading to speed restrictions, effective immediately and continuing until further notice, NJT customers traveling to and from NYPS will experience estimated delays of 15 minutes on weekdays and 30 minutes on weekends.

For updated travel alerts, see:

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TravelAlertsTo

Keep in mind that NJ Transit is notorious for sugar-coating and for skirting around certain issues in its travel alerts. (I subscribe to electronic NJ Transit alerts & advisories; from personal experience, I can say some of the information they provide is practically useless.)

This recent article gives a general overview of the work that is being planned for NY Penn Station:

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-some-new-york-penn-station-train-tracks-to-be-closed-for-weeks-for-repairs-document-2017-5

How long this project will really take is anyone's guess. More certain is that train service in and out of the station will be negatively affected to some degree or other on a daily basis.

That's good news! No multiyear project like the Skyway or Bayonne Bridge. That's why it's so important that folks tell us the exact dates and times they want to go between Newark and New York - my advice could change depending on the time of day. Even with delays the train could be faster than any ground transportation during rush hour.

I'd suggest withholding judgement until the official plans have been released. The preliminary outline that was released last week, and which had no details that were made public, was not well received by NJT and LIRR officials per reports I read. It wouldn't surprise me if the general timelines originally announced are going to be substantially lengthened by the time the official project schedule is released.

Don't forget that major construction projects in this area often take much longer than planned. The Pulaski Skyway project is a perfect example. It should have been already completed, but is still far from being done. I wouldn't place much faith in Amtrak's announced schedule when it's finally released.

Only time will tell. Thanks for posting the updates. This stuff doesn't make headlines in Boston. Thank goodness we're done with our 10+ year "Big Dig"!

My next adventure to Cape Liberty in Jan involves Amtrak to New York Penn and PATH to the Courtyard in Jersey City, so I'm definitely concerned about going through NY Penn.

Penn Station (train Station) is closer to Time Square than the Port Authority (Bus)

Times Square is between 42nd & 47th Streets and Broadway and 7th Ave. Port Authority Bus Terminal is between 40th and 42nd Streets and 8th and 9th Ave, which is one avenue from Times Square. NY Penn Station is between 31st and 33rd Streets and between 7th and 8th Ave which is 9-11 blocks from Times Square. The Op who asked the original question is staying at 52nd St & 7th Ave, which is actually on the north side of the greater Times Square area.

Penn Station (train Station) is closer to Time Square than the Port Authority (Bus)

Absolutely not. Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is at at 8th Ave and 42nd St. is on the perimeter of what is generally defined as the Times square area, and only a 0.3 mile walk from Times Square. Penn Station is at 33rd St bewtween 7th and 8th avenues and is about twice as far from Times Square.