Booked a family veranda guarantee got a concierge class cabin...need advice please!

uptowne001

I need others advice...I was booked into a 2A balcony and have been monitoring inventory, and saw a family veranda guarantee come available so a I upgraded for $200 more figuring it would be worth it for the larger stateroom and big aft balcony (it is on M class). I just looked and was assigned a concierge class cabin towards the front of the ship (regular size balcony). I would not have spent $200 more to upgrade to concierge class, it is was just not worth it to me. I know when you do the guarantees you are guaranteed that class or higher but I thought since family veranda's are so unique I did not think I would be assigned a non-family veranda cabin. Why would they have even offered it as an option if they did not have any? Should I call celebrity and voice my displeasure, or did I take a gamble that I lost on and fairly got assigned to the concierge cabin?

Most people would consider a concierge class an upgrade. The computer sees it that way. There are a lot more CCs than FV. CC cabins are a little bigger than 2A balcony. You gambled and lost. EM

... or did I take a gamble that I lost on and fairly got assigned to the concierge cabin?

Yep! That's the deal with a guarantee. I got one next to the elevator last summer and had no one to blame but myself.

You MIGHT be able to move into a Family Verandah if one is available....if the price is lower than the cabin you are currently in. Never hurts to try....call the Captain's Club first...they seem to have more leeway than the call center. Good luck.

You MIGHT be able to move into a Family Verandah if one is available....if the price is lower than the cabin you are currently in. Never hurts to try....call the Captain's Club first...they seem to have more leeway than the call center. Good luck.

I am with you on this one. I booked a guaranteed concierge cabin on an M class and was able to change to the family veranda at the last minute. I tell you, I would fight for that family veranda if there is still one available. The one I got was a corner aft so even better!! They may say no, but they may say yes so would give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let us know how it works out.

Ok!! Thanks so much for for the input guys!...I am going to call and just ask if there happens to be one available. I was so excited because my parents have 8181 (family veranda) and I thought it would be great to be at the back of the ship close to them, and family verandas just look awesome....I was so excited when I saw the FV guarantee become available I didn't really think it through that I could be assigned any of the CC cabins.

The price has to be lower than what you paid, not what it, or a free upgrade, cost now.

One thing maybe the number of people in your party - I believe they reserve the family cabins for those that will max out the cabin - in that if you are a party of 2 and are just trying for a larger cabin - you wouldn't get it - they keep it for the family of 4 (or 5) what ever the max is

I had previously tried to get a family cabin on RCCL with 3 of us and the cabin can do 5 - I was told generally getting the cabin with less than 4 didn't really happen unless it was like a repo cruise which didn't have as many families on it

I discovered that a guarantee is just that. The reason the price is lower is because you DON'T get to choose your stateroom. If you wanted a specific class, you should book it and if there's none available, you must accept what they offer.

We booked a balcony guarantee on the Norwegian Getaway a couple years ago and got a balcony towards the front of the ship. It was a nice enough room, but the Getaway (and sister ships) have elevators aft and mid-ships and it was a long walk to them! If we get a choice, we like to choose a room that's close to the elevators and preferably in an area without inside cabins as it makes the walk easier. I'm not disabled but I do have diabetic neuropathy (enough for my doc to allow me to have handicap plates on the car), so walking too far and balance are issues for me.

That was our lesson and won't book a guarantee again, unless it's a smaller ship and we're happy with whatever we get!

Remember, a bad day's cruising is better that a day in the office!

So I called, and no such luck in changing the room :(...I am fine with the cabin I have, and after reading everyone's replies I do realize that is the gamble I took, I just didn't realize it at the time and made a bad decision! Should of posted on here before upgrading!

We are three weeks away from sailing so I think they open the FV cabins for smaller parties if they are not sold, so I will keep checking inventory. With that being said I was able to book my parents (party of two) in a family veranda back in December when I saw it pop up online, so there does not seem to be any real rhyme or reason to when they allow the smaller parties to book it. We will have their large balcony to hang out on, so certainly looking forward to that!

Thank you everyone again for your thoughtful replies!

One thing maybe the number of people in your party - I believe they reserve the family cabins for those that will max out the cabin - in that if you are a party of 2 and are just trying for a larger cabin - you wouldn't get it - they keep it for the family of 4 (or 5) what ever the max is

This is correct.

Because of the small number of the family cabins, someone who booked/ paid the extra fares will be steered to those guarantee cabins before a party of two. Makes total sense.