Retirement on a cruise ship

Cruising is (and was ) a great way to celebrate retirement and spring and fall vacations but we wouldn't want to live on a cruise ship.

Baroquevenus what about you?

My DH and I have thought about this and the expenses, depending where you live and which Cruise line you choose, are not much more expensive as living home. With food and show and activities included it can be quite a bargain. I would need different itineraries though. Rccl, CCL, and Princess are my favorites.

Thanks to all who shared their ideas. We are actually thinking of doing what many of you mentioned and that is different ships and different itineraries. With perhaps1-2 months on ship and 2 weeks off to deal with life's other necessities.

Edited by Baroquevenus
add info

While we understand that many folks have financial issues that force them to make choices, we have long enjoyed both cruising and land trips. In fact, for over 25 years we have combined the two...especially after retirement. For many years we will take repositioning cruises (and often extend those voyages with an additional cruise in Europe) along with land trips. At least for us, it is the best of both worlds :). For example, we took a 25 day Ruby Princess cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Southampton (which involved a cruise around the UK, but debarked one day early in Le Havre. From there, we took the train into Paris where we had rented an apartment for a week. After that week we picked up a rental car and drove to the South of France, up the Eastern part of France (through some of the French Alps) to the Alsace area...and then back to CDG to fly home. We have done several other repo cruises that ended in Civitavecchia...where we pick up a rental car and travel for a few weeks. We have also done this in Venice, Barcelona, Southampton, etc. The repo cruises are actually an alternative to air...so much of the cost of the cruise is offset by not needing air (at least one way). On several occasions we have managed to find cruises both ways...totally avoiding air. A few other times we have simply purchased a round trip air ticket to/from Europe and combined that with 2 Repo cruises (spring and fall) where we used a cruise one-way and half the round trip air ticket the other way (and avoided the cost associated with many one-way air tickets).

My point is that we do not accept the "either or" when it comes to land and sea....but simply enjoy both! I would add that we have never used a European tour (we simply go off on our own just like we would do in the USA). Being on our own allows us to go where we want, when we want, and stay where we want. And since we are not stuck with a group we have total flexibility to change our itinerary as we travel...to sometimes avoid bad weather...or extend our stops in places that we really enjoy. We will often just book places 2-3 days in advance (as we travel) to keep our flexibility...but also give us the knowledge of knowing where we were going to sleep (a few days in advance).

For those worried about language barriers. we simply do not believe it exists. For about forty years we have traveled all over the world (on our own) while only fluent in English. Yes, we can read menus in a few languages...and have some knowledge of French (but we are really awful) but it has seldom been a problem. Common sense (travel sense) goes a long way wherever you travel. And being on one's own allows the traveler an ability to interact with locals (in any country) which often leads to wonderful experiences.

Hank

(snipped)

For those worried about language barriers. we simply do not believe it exists. For about forty years we have traveled all over the world (on our own) while only fluent in English. Yes, we can read menus in a few languages...and have some knowledge of French (but we are really awful) but it has seldom been a problem. Common sense (travel sense) goes a long way wherever you travel. And being on one's own allows the traveler an ability to interact with locals (in any country) which often leads to wonderful experiences.

Hank

That sounds amazing!

Woah! There is nothing amazing about independent travel. For us, it is simply the result of lots of pre-travel homework and learning about lots of different options. This is actually a norm for travelers from many parts of the world. But when we get to North America (and to some Asian Countries) there is this attitude that one most always take a tour. Some do it for a feeling of safety. Others are afraid of doing anything on their own. And some think they can see and do more if led by a tour guide. I would respectfully submit that we will much safer when not part of a large tour group (even our State Department warns about being in large groups). We see more on our own because we are not contrained by set itineraries and do not have to spend time waiting for the slowest person of any group (there is always 1 or 2). As to doing things on our own, that does require a little homework and perhaps buying a decent guide book (we love the Rick Steves series). Some folks have physical challenges and really do need to be part of a tour. Others have reached an age where being led by the hand is a very good thing. But most are simply afraid to take a chance...and learn how to expand their level of comfort when traveling independently. We have long believed that some folks create their own prison...which are limitations they impose on themselves (without a physical limitation). During our more then 40 years of extensive independent travel...we have certainly had our share of bad days...when little went right! But anyone who has taken lots of tours has also had some awful tours. But a great majority of our travel days have been fantastic.

DW and I really do love our food and wine....and this is probably our biggest problem with most tours. The thought of rushing through a place like Paris, Honfleur, Florence, or almost anywhere...without being able to stop for a nice meal (if its what we want at the time) is something we cannot accept. Having been on a full day cruise ship excursion where they eat in a large tourist class restaurant (that can accommodate large groups) and get set menus....is just not going to make us happy travelers. Our DD in now in her mid 30s and her first European trip was at age 9. Ask her about that trip more then 25 years later...and she can tell you about a couple of amazing dinners she had in Paris.

Hank

While I would be happy to spend a lot of my retirement on a cruise ship, I would move from ship to ship depending on itinerary. I may spend several months on the one ship before jumping to another.

Celebrity and Princess would be my preferences.