Need Euro Coins

edenrayne

Hi, this may seem like an odd question, but when we are told that we need .50 E coin for each bathroom stop in Germany, and I am only able to get bills through my bank, where can I get coin? Also, does anyone know if they are coin operated or is there a lady sitting there taking the coin? If there is a person she may be able to make change, if not we may have to "find the nearest tree" ...........

These bathrooms are typically in busy areas because why else would you need public bathrooms. In my travel experience there are typically bathroom attendants. If there isn't simply ask someone for change, its Germany so will be a lot of English speakers and this will be no issue at all. Like all travels, keep an eye on your belongings when digging in wallets/pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, this may seem like an odd question, but when we are told that we need .50 E coin for each bathroom stop in Germany, and I am only able to get bills through my bank, where can I get coin? Also, does anyone know if they are coin operated or is there a lady sitting there taking the coin? If there is a person she may be able to make change, if not we may have to "find the nearest tree" ...........

We lived in Germany for three years with the military. We found restrooms with attendants far less frequently. The majority were coin-operated. Another situation is at fast food restaurants, such as Burger King. If you make a purchase there will be a code for restroom use on the receipt. You punch in the code at the restroom door to gain entry.

There's no general rule about public restrooms in Germany costing 50 cents. I don't know which cities/sites you will be visiting, but I think you will probably find that many facilities are free. Those that do require payment will typically find a way to let you pay even if you don't have exactly one 50 cent coin (there will be an attendant or a change machine, or somewhere close by where you can ask for change). It's not a bad idea to have some change on hand, though, so if you do come across a change machine, or whenever you buy anything, take advantage of the opportunity.

There is rarely anyone to take the money, but as with the previous poster I do always hang on to some coins both in the uk and Europe for this situation. In the EU of course you have the advantage for most countries it's the same coin. Where it's a coin in the door people might hold the door for you so you don't need to pay.

It depends.

At the "Autobahn" there are restaurants/gas stations and there the restrooms are "coin operated" - if you use them, you receive a receipt which is also valid als a coupon for consumption at the restaurant - you can collect them and use more than one at one time.

At some malls they have the same system - coupons are valid at the shops at the mall.

At the train stations they sometimes uses something similar - but at these (very clean!) restrooms there should be some keeper around who is able to change money for you.

Very few restrooms have locks at each door, operated with coins - there should be most of the time in case of "emergency" a friendly person holding the door open.

Toilets at the airport, normal restaurants, in the trains, theatres, cinemas are free. Bigger shops, some grocery shops have a toilet (free of charge) too.

If you don´t know were the next toilet is - ask a pregnant woman - most of them know each available restroom within 5 miles...:')

Simpliest way is to get some bills and at your first stop purchase a bottle of water or coffee and get some change. In many European countries there is a small charge for using a restroom outside of restaurants. Even parks and train stations charge. You'll find a mix of restrooms with attendants where you'll be able to make change or coin operated. I've never found getting change to be an insurmountable issue; though the whole concept is annoying for people from the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Get change once you are in Europe? Sure seems easy enough.

We are on a cruise ship and our first stop is in Warnemunde where we go directly to our bus for the Berlin tour. Hopefully the "rest stop" on the highway down has attendants.

If you're on an organized tour they will most likely find free restrooms for you (and/or there will be a toilet on the bus). This is actually one of the main things that an organized tour organizes. Sometimes it seems like the entire itinerary is constructed around restroom stops! :)

We are on a cruise ship and our first stop is in Warnemunde where we go directly to our bus for the Berlin tour. Hopefully the "rest stop" on the highway down has attendants.

I would imagine the tour operator will anticipate this in some way. Either by finding a free restroom stop (often tours stop at cafes for a bite to eat/drink as well) or they will have change. I wouldn't worry about getting coins ahead.

I would imagine the tour operator will anticipate this in some way. Either by finding a free restroom stop (often tours stop at cafes for a bite to eat/drink as well) or they will have change. I wouldn't worry about getting coins ahead.

Thanks everyone. If there is a place to buy water at this "designated rest stop" on the way down to Berlin, we will buy a water or something to get change.

As you arrive in the Euro zone (by plane), get your suitcases and look for a currency exchange, usually close to the car rental counters. In most cities the Department Stores have a Buffet on an upper level. Where there's food, there's also a rest room. Many of their rest rooms are farmed out to immigrants who usually put a plate on a small table containing some coins. They are not for you :), you are supposed to add some to it. As tourists you are forgiven if you are not familiar with their system. I grew up there and had to shrug my shoulders indicating I had no change. Yes, I went to the cashier and asked for some change. Just double over slightly and cross your legs. Most will 'get it'