Amber Cove

newbie18

Is it possible to walk into the main part of town from the dock at Amber Cove? Is there bus transportation available and how much does it cost? My DH and I like to walk but are not sure if there are roads that are safe and easy to get into town.

I didnt see much to walk to around there. There were some condos/hotel type place near, but looked to be private. I would not consider walking around outside the immediate port area. Either take a taxi, or a pre arranged tour to somewhere, or if you stay in Amber Cove the pool/bar area did look to be very nice.

Never saw buses, but you can take a taxi, if I recall it was $45 one way for up to 5 passengers.

Way too far to walk. And I consider it unsafe to walk. TAKE A TAXI !!

Fire up Google Maps and research Puerto Plata

We were there in March, very disappointing. If we should ever go back, I will stay by the Port area. If you leave the Port area you will notice the iron gates. The town certainly doesn't promote tourism!!

No, it's not a walkable distance to the city center of Puerto Plata. I was surprised at how expensive taxis were to/from the city from the port...until I looked at Google Maps and realized how far to the east the city was from the cruise pier.

When we visited there last year, we booked an all-inclusive which ended up being held at Lifestyle Resort. The resort wasn't particularly close to the pier and was too far to walk -- leaving the safety issue out of it -- and Puerto Plata was even farther down the same road. It looks like it's about 6 or 7 miles from the pier to the city center.

I really liked the at-port facilities they've built at Amber Cove -- much better than, say, Falmouth -- so you might not have to go into town unless you realllllly want to.

We were there in March, very disappointing. If we should ever go back, I will stay by the Port area. If you leave the Port area you will notice the iron gates. The town certainly doesn't promote tourism!!

Oh my heavens no!!! This is not a disappointing port of call at all, unless you favor places like Grand Cayman and St. Thomas that are shopping and beaches.

DR is a beautiful country!!! And the people were incredibly friendly. Book an excursion and enjoy your travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely agree with this.....even though it will be our first time, we picked it for it's historical and cultural value. Just thinking that this is one of the first, if not the first European settlement in the "new world" by Columbus, no matter what you think of him, gives me chills.....

Oh my heavens no!!! This is not a disappointing port of call at all, unless you favor places like Grand Cayman and St. Thomas that are shopping and beaches.

DR is a beautiful country!!! And the people were incredibly friendly. Book an excursion and enjoy your travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are talking about walking to Puerto Plata, no, it's way too far. I actually stayed in Puerto Plata on my 1st trip to the DR. It is, IMO, an ugly beach that makes Coney Island look like a paradise. Most of the hotels along this strip of brownish sand are 2 stars at best, and the Atlantic Ocean is gray and unappealing. I did make a day trip to Sosua and Caberete, both wonderful, warm, historic towns.

I've made many trips back to DR since then, and found I like the Punta Cana area best. For those who didn't like the port of LaRomanna, Amber Cove may very well suit them less. But, if you like Carnival's cookie cutter shopping corrals, Amber Cove may be your cup of tea. It isn't mine. When the Horizon stops there next May, I'll stay on the ship and enjoy the Serenity area instead.

Thanks for the info. My DH and I walk about 5 miles a day for exercise, but 6-7 one way seems too far. I was hoping for some cheap bus transportation like they have in La Romana that costs $7 each round trip. I think we will stay by the port, at least the first time we visit there.

We stayed in the port area, when we were there in January. I found it to be a beautiful place and enjoyed the pools. My DH and DS enjoyed the zipline. We went back on the ship and ate lunch, and then got off and did some shopping. I had been to an all inclusive the year before, in Punta Cana, and really did not enjoy the bus trips to the excursions at all. Seemed to be far apart and didn't enjoy the countryside getting there. I really enjoyed Amber Cove over seeing the DR.