Getaway Transatlantic, Most Mishandled Cruise Ever

Conh

My sympathies.

Corporate dropped the ball on this. Just awful planning and worse execution.

I paid extra to return on Caribbean Princess on this spring's eastbound transatlantic. despite 2 CruiseNext certificates in my account. I booked away from NCL. Gott sei Dank!

Some background :

I have been on Getaway twice recently into Miami on their Saturday rotation. The worst disembarkation ever back into Miami. There is a hack ... take the gangway earmarked for non US citizens/residents, no matter your status!

In prior years, the Star or other ship assigned to the Baltic cruises would not have had such an adventurous transatlantic itinerary. Missing the Azores does happen and but that presented an opportunity. Getaway should have headed to Cobh (Cork), Ireland. Why? BECAUSE IRELAND AND THE UK ARE IN THE COMMON TRAVEL AREA. You clear immigration in Cobh and there's no immigration at Southampton even if you visit a French port the day before.

You see, that's what happened on the Caribbean Princess. We arrived at Southampton and we just walked off, no line/queue whatsoever. Plenty of taxis. There is UK Customs, but nobody was being stopped for closer inspection.

Furthermore, the Irish Garda take over the steakhouse on board in Cobh and do not routinely require passengers to appear, just stamping their passports which have been previously surrendered to ship's staff.

As for Brest, what were they thinking?

Customarily ships will call at Cherbourg or Le Havre before making the short dash across the Channel.

By the way, I was at Southampton that afternoon for Getaway. Crew members were disembarking at 2 pm.

Oh, I seem to recall that Zeebrugge was cancelled before Getaway left Southampton. So why didn't Getaway overnight in Southampton, allowing a full day in port? Instead, late arrival and overnight in Rotterdam?!?!

Oh ... I'm on Getaway this coming week!

Rotterdam is a much nicer and better port then Southampton.

But what a crap cruise was this one and what a poor management.

Rotterdam is a much nicer and better port then Southampton.

I'm definitely a fan of Dutch infrastructure, having taken the Dutch Flyer to the Hoek and cruised on a b2b out of Amsterdam last year

but I dare say for many others Southampton would have been the draw.

I'm definitely a fan of Dutch infrastructure, having taken the Dutch Flyer to the Hoek and cruised on a b2b out of Amsterdam last year

but I dare say for many others Southampton would have been the draw.

Yes it was a draw for me. Despite my extensive travel I had never been to the U.K. before. Netherlands- been there, done that so didn't need to go again. I have now spent at least a few hours on English soil and I even loved the often criticized food. Just reminded me of the food I love eating at home. So now a British Isles cruise and land trip to Scotland and England is now my next bucket list trip. Probably later than May to try and maximize the chance of getting warmer weather.

Wish I hadn't wasted my time and money doing this TA, but I did learn that a TA cruise on a megaship is not for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I honestly can't understand people. If you would have moved yourself to guest services at deck 6 when they announced the delays and cancellations you would have seen all of them!

The captain even made an impromptu q&a in the atrium and was there for almost an hour responding to passengers who were rather calm and understand that **** happens sometimes special with this kind of special itinerary were there is long distance and new one time ports of calls. As it's not its usual journey.

The proof is the debarkation was spot on as it was it's regular home port. Even better than Miami from what I heard.

I have seen the hotel director several times during the cruise with a pocket book in hand always ready to help

I personally requested some refund from guest services and was promptly dealt the next day To my satisfaction. And mind you I was in s studio not a fancysuite .

So I suggest you don't libel person for no reason.

I stood next to the captain in the atrium what a sad person took no responsebility made no notes he just attend becouse he had too .

I had an argument with the hotel director what a bully guy that lost his tamper .

Very poor organisation.

It is money only with no respect or love for their job.

I stood next to the captain in the atrium what a sad person took no responsebility made no notes he just attend becouse he had too .

I had an argument with the hotel director what a bully guy that lost his tamper .

Very poor organisation.

It is money only with no respect or love for their job.

I didn't really see the Captain this cruise except in the distance at the M&G and the Latitudes Party. I remember him from the Spirit last year. We spent most of the day enroute to Mykonos ( which we didn't get to) observing/rescuing refugees which culminated in taking a pregnant lady and her brother onboard, then helicopter evacuating them both back to Italy. The crew had to also prepare the ship to take all 300+ of the refugees onboard. However, once the situation was assessed, the rest of the refugees were taken onboard by the Italian Coastguards. He had requested that nobody post information, videos or photos on social or media sites, but humans being humans of course some had, so he was extremely cross and angry and told us all off both at the Q&A and in his daily announcement. So the two cruises I've been on with him at the helm haven't gone smoothly.

Also one of the Guest Service guys on the Getaway cruise was on that Spirit cruise, also the recent cruise on the Star (Jan 16th) where passengers held protests daily around midday due to missing ports because of Azipod problems. He must be loving his job- not!

[quote name=karoo;53152300The crew had to also prepare the ship to take all 300+ of the refugees onboard. However' date=' once the situation was assessed, the rest of the refugees were taken onboard by the Italian Coastguards. He had requested that nobody post information, videos or photos on social or media sites, but humans being humans of course some had, so he was extremely cross and angry and told us all off both at the Q&A and in his daily announcement.

Having just been through a port call to Libya, where we were informed that any ship within the area would be called on to rescue refugees if needed (think of putting 300-500 refugees on a tanker with a crew of 20), the request for a social media blackout is a standard security procedure. We had a security consultant onboard during our time in and around Libyan waters, and he requested the same thing, because no one knows at the time you are desperately trying to rescue people in the ocean who can't swim, and have been malnourished and tortured in the refugee camps, who might be a trafficker or a terrorist. Social media justs gives the bad guys intelligence in an easy to obtain format.

Having just been through a port call to Libya, where we were informed that any ship within the area would be called on to rescue refugees if needed (think of putting 300-500 refugees on a tanker with a crew of 20), the request for a social media blackout is a standard security procedure. We had a security consultant onboard during our time in and around Libyan waters, and he requested the same thing, because no one knows at the time you are desperately trying to rescue people in the ocean who can't swim, and have been malnourished and tortured in the refugee camps, who might be a trafficker or a terrorist. Social media justs gives the bad guys intelligence in an easy to obtain format.

Interesting info. I just assumed he didn't want future cruisers knowing.

It sounds like the Transatlantic was very unfortunate. For anyone reading with a view to booking future Getaway cruises, I can say that the following Baltic Capital cruises went very smoothly, so they shouldn't be put off by the Transatlantic experience. (Clearly no consolation for those who experienced it).

It sounds like the Transatlantic was very unfortunate. For anyone reading with a view to booking future Getaway cruises, I can say that the following Baltic Capital cruises went very smoothly, so they shouldn't be put off by the Transatlantic experience. (Clearly no consolation for those who experienced it).

Problems can happen that was not the problem that make people angry, very poor crisis control is the problem.

The atmosphere on the ship is poor i spoke a lot off complaining employees .

very poor aftersales also by ncl that will force me to bring my money somewere else .

Problems can happen that was not the problem that make people angry, very poor crisis control is the problem.

Yes, we have gathered that.

The atmosphere on the ship is poor i spoke a lot off complaining employees .

No. The atmosphere may have been poor on that cruise. It was not poor on the following cruise, and there is no reason to believe it is poor on the current cruise.

very poor aftersales also by ncl that will force me to bring my money somewere else .

You cannot use 'force' in that sentence. You can choose to take your money elsewhere due to your perceived poor sales experience from NCL.

Yes, we have gathered that.

No. The atmosphere may have been poor on that cruise. It was not poor on the following cruise, and there is no reason to believe it is poor on the current cruise.

You cannot use 'force' in that sentence. You can choose to take your money elsewhere due to your perceived poor sales experience from NCL.

If ncl don't react in a proper manor, they play with my Principles and they force me to bring my money elsewere.

the atmosphere is not something that change in a week ( i noticed the problems allready before we leave Miami, ), after 34 cruises from which 50% with ncl i think i can sence the atmosphere , what is your experience to tell it is different are you on the Getaway ?

This was a poor cruise with a very poor captain and staff , ncl don't take any responsibility for their problems , lying about the problems and choose options in favor of ncl and not in favor of the "clients" .

If ncl don't react in a proper manor, they play with my Principles and they force me to bring my money elsewere.

the atmosphere is not something that change in a week ( i noticed the problems allready before we leave Miami, ), after 34 cruises from which 50% with ncl i think i can sence the atmosphere , what is your experience to tell it is different are you on the Getaway ?

This was a poor cruise with a very poor captain and staff , ncl don't take any responsibility for their problems , lying about the problems and choose options in favor of ncl and not in favor of the "clients" .

They do not force you. They do not stand over you with a gun and make you move the money - that is what 'force' means. Look it up. I do not dispute that you can choose to move your money elsewhere as a result of poor service.

I was on the cruise immediately following yours. That is why I can speak with confidence about the atmosphere then.

Apropos of topic when considering bookings..

One thing I have noticed, in general cruise ships and their crews do not handle disruption of their routine as well as they could (I don't mean emergencies).

When a ship sails a specific itinerary with minor variations for 3,6 even 12 months, the crew develops a rhythm plus a routine for dealing with expected issues (this port has slow customs, this port has a long walk to the gate, etc). It seems that when that routine is disrupted, like on a TA with a bunch of new ports for example, any issues quickly spiral and it seems harder for the crew to adapt to the new scenarios. For this cruise, its obvious that a lack of familiarity the with ports hindered preparation.

It's why I generally try to avoid booking a cruise within the first 2-3 sailings at a new homeport or itinerary if I can... Give them time to work out the shift and settle in. Of course, this is not an option for a TA, and the crew really SHOULD be able to adapt, but when you are dealing with a staff of 1500 or more, inertia and institutional dampening kick in (you would think its easy for one crew member to say, hey, its raining, lets get more tents, but that requires a whole chain of command, allocation of resources thing)

Bad weather - it happens. You miss a port.

Bad weather caused a problem with British Immigration Officials. Not exactly mishandled.

Tides and one gangway. No idea if that was an NCL issue or port. Did timing of arrival change.

Missing the next port - yes that was a NCL caused problem. Pretty sure they did not do that on purpose. Geez.

Slow to get off. That is caused by British Officials. NCL would love everyone to get off NOW. they need to turn the ship over.

Some issues? Maybe.

Most Mishandled Cruise Ever - overly dramatic

I agree......overly dramatic.....but they didn't need to turn the ship over in London, we still had Rotterdam to go before Copenhagen........we had a great cruise got sick( some hacking guest dont know how to cover their mouths and spread some horrible coughs, Thank you whomever you are bringing it on board and then spreading it, but still a great cruise

Marion Kalio

I didn't really see the Captain this cruise except in the distance at the M&G and the Latitudes Party. I remember him from the Spirit last year. We spent most of the day enroute to Mykonos ( which we didn't get to) observing/rescuing refugees which culminated in taking a pregnant lady and her brother onboard, then helicopter evacuating them both back to Italy. The crew had to also prepare the ship to take all 300+ of the refugees onboard. However, once the situation was assessed, the rest of the refugees were taken onboard by the Italian Coastguards. He had requested that nobody post information, videos or photos on social or media sites, but humans being humans of course some had, so he was extremely cross and angry and told us all off both at the Q&A and in his daily announcement. So the two cruises I've been on with him at the helm haven't gone smoothly.

Also one of the Guest Service guys on the Getaway cruise was on that Spirit cruise, also the recent cruise on the Star (Jan 16th) where passengers held protests daily around midday due to missing ports because of Azipod problems. He must be loving his job- not!

You didn't see the Captain? The Captain and his staff were in the Atrium every single day of the cruise at 10 am to 11 am to and you could go and talk to every single one of them .......maybe you didn't make it down into the Atrium at those time, but all of them were there every single day!! and that were we witness some pretty bad behaviors from some passengers towards the Captain and Hotel Director some even yelling at them....... not a good way to handle issues......just my own opinion! We had a great cruise and enjoyed ourselves I didn't have to clean shop cook etc etc for 16 days and drinks keep flowing as long as we wanted too....life is hard enough enjoy what you can when you can.......some cant even go on a cruise ever ......

Marion Kalio

If you were happy with the service and with the way the staff "handle" the problems fine for you.

The problems were the talk on the ship with a lot of angry and dissapointed guests.

This was a poor cruise for me and the staff and the "aftersales" of ncl are not on the level that i think a cruise company has to be .

Sorry - but unless you were physically there - please don't even attempt to defend NCL on this one - they were bang bang bang our of order on this cruise - and that immigration process was mishandled beyond levels of acceptance on ALL counts!

We were physically there and NCL did everything possible making passenger happy. What we have seen at Customer Service and the way some passenger behaved, well let's just say it was not a pretty sight! The Captain and his staff were available every single day in the Atrium to answer a question from 10 am to 11 am. If the guests didn't make it down there for that, well, not the Captains or Staffs fault.

The way some of the guests bombarded the Captain and staff, I'm surprised they kept coming down at all. My husband and I always went to breakfast early and then spend time in the Atrium just to watch the daily drama unfold.We then decided to enjoy the rest of the ship in peace and quiet since a lot of guests decided to spend their day waiting in line in the Atrium wanting to complain to Customer Service. The service we received from all of the NCL crew and staff was outstanding and we had a great cruise. We are grateful for every day we can enjoy alive and well and we roll with the punches! We will always sail with NCL and may I just say read your contract before you sail........there is no guarantee for any Port.

We did catch a nasty cough but that is also not on NCL but I blame whoever had this cough before and brought in on board and didn't take any precaution not to spread it again not NCL's fault....but the fault of a passenger! This is the last comment iI will be making about this cruise which in my opinion was a great one that we got to enjoy with old and new friends

Marion and Ben Kalio

Life is not guaranteed life is what you make out of it

Hello there. I was on that cruise, commiserate with the writer that complained.......but why are all you posters sticking your fingers in you ear and telling him to grow a pair?

That was a dismal, poorly planned cruise. Some details:

First voyage for the Getaway crossing the Atlantic They did not adequately research the docks in the Azores, and Brest. That megaship does not fit in regularily sized dock facilities.

We were to have picked up the UK passport people in the Azores, and had them take the entire day towards France checking our passports and everyone's leisure. But because they couldn't land, that didn't happen. But I suppose none of the high level folks thought to have a UK passport official flown to France. (Duh?) Instead, they decided (very stupidly) that, after landing around noon in England,....being cleared about 1pm; that EVERYBODY on the ship with 4000 passengers, plus staff, had to go to some restaurant to get the passports stamped. This included the 2000 people that weren't going ashore. They started from the 15th floor, and worked their way down. Total joke, totally incompetent. The crew on NCL Getaway should never be entrusted with the task of throwing a 9 year old's birthday party.

But, I must add, the stewards, bartenders, waiters were all spectacular, and couldn't have been more helpful.

En route to Southampton, the 'news bear' captain quacked that something was broken, and we had to go low and slow.....(and 6 hours late) into Southampton. But, because they are trying to hold the folks with excursions hostage........he delightedly said "we are giving you an extra 4 hours in Southampton". I missed a rendezvous with a family member in Oxford.......after I threatened a meltdown, they let me off first. I saw her for 22 minutes in the train station.

Can't say I was delighted with an extra 4 hours there.......I thought of getting off the boat and wandering around the bars by the docks at night........(Not!).

El Capitano was mumbling late that night: "because we GAVE you an extra 4 hours in Southampton" , we aren't going to Brussels (I don't remember being consulted but.....) However, we are giving you all $100 bucks cruise credit.

So we bobbed along into Rotterdam.....slowly............that port was the only one that was relatively sane.

Then to Copenhagen.....okay........I've never seen folks more frantic to get off a cruise. (I'm not one of you chronic cruisers........have done 22) but the point I am trying to make is that whoever wrote an extremely fair, critical review of NCL Getaway transatlantic...why do you posters try to criticize him? Why have this board if you don't want the truth?

I live on the water on the West Coast. Had a balcony, looked at the size of the dock in the Azores, the boat was slapping against the side of it, and thought to myself "we aren't docking here" and went back to bed. I fully believe there was a Portuguese Dock Captain on the phone screaming "You are not bringing that big pig near my docks!!!"

Then there was another unbelievable statement from Captain Bad Bear......when we had the disaster trying to dock in France...."good afternoon ladies and gentlemen...we have problems with the dock because of a 'rogue tide'. What totally nonsense. There is no such thing as a rogue tide. Rogue waves....all the time. But please, don't peddle rubbish. Shakespeare wrote some where "..time and tide waits for no man" Tides never, ever, ever change. I live on the ocean. Hello.

Whoever wrote that post was being extremely mild in his criticism. Don't shoot the messenger if you want true information on Cruise Critic.

Me, I'm going on a free 16 day cruise, in a balcony whenever I choose, in the future. Write to NCL, be honest, be rational, and they will replace that cruise. Just so's you know.

Cheers

Could you suggest concretely what could have been done on board to make the immigration process go more smoothly in Southampton?

Second, you wondered why NCL didn't arrange a separate line for UK passport holders. That's not necessarily a bad idea, and it could be implemented in a number of ways. What would be the best way to do it, in your opinion?

I complained the night before as a British citizen that I would refuse to wait 4 hours in line. The Hotel Director got us to the front of the line and we were out in 30 mins :D:cool:, even snuck a few American friends with us and straight to the pub.:*

Won't that be the case in about 6 months?

More like 2+ years away. Britain have only triggered Article 50 where the negotiations will take 2 years to come to an agreement with the EU. How long the divorce takes after that is anyone's guess at this stage. I can confirm Britain is still in the EU for now and will be for next few years.

Hello there. I was on that cruise, commiserate with the writer that complained.......but why are all you posters sticking your fingers in you ear and telling him to grow a pair?

First voyage for the Getaway crossing the Atlantic They did not adequately research the docks in the Azores, and Brest. That megaship does not fit in regularily sized dock facilities.

We were to have picked up the UK passport people in the Azores, and had them take the entire day towards France checking our passports and everyone's leisure. But because they couldn't land, that didn't happen. But I suppose none of the high level folks thought to have a UK passport official flown to France. (Duh?) Instead, they decided (very stupidly) that, after landing around noon in England,....being cleared about 1pm; that EVERYBODY on the ship with 4000 passengers, plus staff, had to go to some restaurant to get the passports stamped. This included the 2000 people that weren't going ashore. They started from the 15th floor, and worked their way down. Total joke, totally incompetent. The crew on NCL Getaway should never be entrusted with the task of throwing a 9 year old's birthday party.

But, I must add, the stewards, bartenders, waiters were all spectacular, and couldn't have been more helpful.

En route to Southampton, the 'news bear' captain quacked that something was broken, and we had to go low and slow.....(and 6 hours late) into Southampton. But, because they are trying to hold the folks with excursions hostage........he delightedly said "we are giving you an extra 4 hours in Southampton". I missed a rendezvous with a family member in Oxford.......after I threatened a meltdown, they let me off first. I saw her for 22 minutes in the train station.

Can't say I was delighted with an extra 4 hours there.......I thought of getting off the boat and wandering around the bars by the docks at night........(Not!).

El Capitano was mumbling late that night: "because we GAVE you an extra 4 hours in Southampton" , we aren't going to Brussels (I don't remember being consulted but.....) However, we are giving you all $100 bucks cruise credit.

So we bobbed along into Rotterdam.....slowly............that port was the only one that was relatively sane.

Then to Copenhagen.....okay........I've never seen folks more frantic to get off a cruise. (I'm not one of you chronic cruisers........have done 22) but the point I am trying to make is that whoever wrote an extremely fair, critical review of NCL Getaway transatlantic...why do you posters try to criticize him? Why have this board if you don't want the truth?

I live on the water on the West Coast. Had a balcony, looked at the size of the dock in the Azores, the boat was slapping against the side of it, and thought to myself "we aren't docking here" and went back to bed. I fully believe there was a Portuguese Dock Captain on the phone screaming "You are not bringing that big pig near my docks!!!"

Then there was another unbelievable statement from Captain Bad Bear......when we had the disaster trying to dock in France...."good afternoon ladies and gentlemen...we have problems with the dock because of a 'rogue tide'. What totally nonsense. There is no such thing as a rogue tide. Rogue waves....all the time. But please, don't peddle rubbish. Shakespeare wrote some where "..time and tide waits for no man" Tides never, ever, ever change. I live on the ocean. Hello.

Whoever wrote that post was being extremely mild in his criticism. Don't shoot the messenger if you want true information on Cruise Critic.

Me, I'm going on a free 16 day cruise, in a balcony whenever I choose, in the future. Write to NCL, be honest, be rational, and they will replace that cruise. Just so's you know.

Cheers

We docked /or didn't dock not landed ! it's a ship and not a boat 🚣 but that just me !

Still had a great cruise!!! Ship happens!but Thank you for your input

Marion

Cheers

Love the way you write-it was worth going on my worst cruise ever just to read your clever post.

PS - good work at getting a free cruise.

May I just ask one simple question?

Does anyone read their cruise contract before you cruise? You must because without signing it, you can not check in or board the ship!

If you did read the contract why is anyone complaining?

The $100 pp OBC we should be Thankful we got that....,NCL didn't have to give us anything...,,,, and if any of you trying to bring a lawsuit...... good luck with that ......You signed a contract

Marion

That's correct. It was the weather that prevented the UK Customs officers to board and process all of the immigration paperwork prior to arrival in Southhampton. And it is terrible that NCL didn't properly control the weather. Right.

They were immigration officers not custom officers in Southampton.