Getaway Transatlantic, Most Mishandled Cruise Ever

Conh

I wonder why they still cancelled Zeebrugge if the ship was repaired in Southampton? It's nice to hear you're getting extra time in Rotterdam, though. An overnight is a rare treat!

Also good to hear about the compensation. But I heard that NCL actually saves money when they give away OBC, and that's why they do it. :D

Zeebrugge was cancelled because we leaved London 4 hours late and we would not arrive in time as the original arriving time was 10am

That makes sense, thanks. Did they let you stay ashore longer in Southampton or did they keep the originally scheduled all-aboard time?

And here is the most important question for all of humanity ;) : Did they charge you UK taxes on UBP drinks while in port in Southampton?

For those who have not seen the Getaway's current itinerary:

• Day 1 (April 30): Miami
  • Days 2–7 (May 1–6): At Sea
  • Day 8 (May 7): Azores [cancelled]
  • Days 9–11 (May 8-10): At Sea
  • Day 12 (May 11): Brest
  • Day 13 (May 12): Southampton
  • Day 14 (May 13): Zeebrugge [cancelled]
  • Day 15 (May 14): Rotterdam
  • Day 16 (May 15): At Sea
  • Day 17 (May 16): Copenhagen

Even if the weather can happen, accidents can happen, delays are typical on TAs, UK immigration is more stringent than other EU countries, etc. etc., it's (thankfully) highly unusual for so many things to go so wrong on the same cruise, and I can't fault the passengers for feeling disappointed. Which does not make it OK for them to switch off all rational functions and propagate nonsensical rumors :rolleyes: A legitimate, factual complaint speaks for itself, no need to toss in a baseless accusation that doesn't even make sense.

It has been many years since I have received any port fees back from NCL for missed ports. From other people's reports, it sounds like it sometimes still happens, but usually doesn't. But I've never had multiple ports skipped on the same cruise, so I would really expect NCL to give everyone something back on this sailing.

I am really not surprised at the UK customs issue - they are understaffed (do not argue on this one it is a fact) and simply can not handle these numbers with other ships in port. NCL have had over the year other issues with Southampton (Epic September 2015) and they are not the main user of the port. We need to protect our borders!

This is really bad, sorry. I know NCL causes the bad weather in the Azores... :eek:

And those Brits... how dare they not want to chance getting on in bad weather.

And I think the other passengers have a right to feel angry about the rumors you're spreading as well.

However, I'm glad you've finally gotten your addiction under control, even if it is just with NCL, it's a start.

Feel better soon and bless your heart.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Seems to me that there have been MUCH worse cruises....Titanic and the Costa Concordia come to mind immediately. On that note, we're leaving today to join this ship in Copenhagen. I'm not a bit worried.

You took the words right out if my mouth.

Bad weather has more severely affected ships in the past but apparently the bad weather this cruiser is experiencing is the...worst...ever.

Drama queen.

OP, welcome in Rotterdam, The Netherlands!

As we had Getaway on her very first revenue embarkation here in 2014 we are sure, we the Dutch, did the job today probably better than the Brits and French did?

;)

You may well do better than us but there again we are Brits and tend to do things our way :)

...Also good to hear about the compensation. But I heard that NCL actually saves money when they give away OBC, and that's why they do it. :D

I see this posted often.

I also see people post that OBC does not cost NCL anything. (usually in a cruise price drop conversation).

Rubbish. Of course it costs them money.

If I have $200 OBC, it means my final bill is now $200 less.

Yea, yea... I know there are some people that will spend that and even more, but there still is a cost. No way around it. And, there are some folks with ZERO onboard expenses other than service charge so NCL might not have to spend the whole $200 in those cases).

I will agree that $200 OBC is better than $200 cash. At least it will be spent on the ship vs going into folks pockets.

Sorry OP, this is not NCL's most mishandled cruise of the past 12 months, let alone ever. As a disinterested observer (well, interested only for the schadenfreude -- because it's the Internet), several of the Star's recent "voyages" that came to require ocean tugs, as well as that one Bermuda cruise that chained everyone to the dock in NYC and then took them to Florida instead, all seem to have been better examples of organizational fail.

What you describe just seems to be the reality of a megaship meeting weather and a mechanical issue in non-megaship-equiped ports. If you're going to head to sea with the population of an entire mid-sized town, things are going to go rather quickly pear-shaped in irrops.

Rubbish. Of course it costs them money.

I know it's rubbish. It was a joke.

But since you brought it up, I haven't seen a lot of people claiming that OBC costs NCL "nothing". However it certainly costs them less to give you $100 (non-refundable) OBC compared to giving you $100 cash.

This is my 20th cruise, 14th on NCL. All 5 of my TA's have been on Norwegian and we are having a fantastic time. We are counting down the days until October for the westbound crossing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by sicness4x4

This is really bad, sorry. I know NCL causes the bad weather in the Azores... :eek:

And those Brits... how dare they not want to chance getting on in bad weather.

And I think the other passengers have a right to feel angry about the rumors you're speading as well.

However, I'm glad you've finally gotten your addiction under control, even if it is just with NCL, it's a start.

Feel better soon and bless your heart.

Comments like this are the reason I try to stay out of threads like these. The OP posted valid concerns about a cruise. Which is what this site is all about. And comments like yours add nothing to the conversation and, if anything, are likely to keep others from posting about their negative experiences. I am glad that NCL can do no wrong in your opinion.

Comments like this are the reason I try to stay out of threads like these. The OP posted valid concerns about a cruise. Which is what this site is all about. And comments like yours add nothing to the conversation and, if anything, are likely to keep others from posting about their negative experiences. I am glad that NCL can do no wrong in your opinion.

And What Did NCL do Wrong in your opinion??

That's the problem with people who complain about complaints. The OP asserts that the cruise was the most mishandled cruise because of the weather. Contrary to popular belief, FDR does not have influence over the weather nor U.K. Immigrations.

That's the problem with people who complain about complaints. The OP asserts that the cruise was the most mishandled cruise because of the weather. Contrary to popular belief, FDR does not have influence over the weather nor U.K. Immigrations.

Not even our government can control immigration :)

And What Did NCL do Wrong in your opinion??

I would say the captain not knowing about an 18 foot tide change then running into something causing them to miss ANOTHER port is an NCL issue. But what do I know?

"To top the day off, while we were leaving port, the ship (captain?) hit something that damaged one of the propulsion devices. We were then told that the stop in Belgium would be cancelled because of repairs."

This is interesting to me. The pilot comes on board to see the ship out of the port.

Whose fault is this and how are the damages paid for?

OP, sorry you had a bad trip, I have several friends onboard rolling with the punches and having a blast.

Even if a pilot is on board, the captain is still ultimately responsible for the ship. As for who pays for damages, I suppose it's like any other situation, every party can sue every other party…

But other reports from this sailing have said that it was an electrical problem, not a collision, so how to tell the real from the fake news?

"To top the day off, while we were leaving port, the ship (captain?) hit something that damaged one of the propulsion devices. We were then told that the stop in Belgium would be cancelled because of repairs."

This is interesting to me. The pilot comes on board to see the ship out of the port.

Whose fault is this and how are the damages paid for?

OP, sorry you had a bad trip, I have several friends onboard rolling with the punches and having a blast.

Even if a pilot is on board, the captain is still ultimately responsible for the ship. As for who pays for damages, I suppose it's like any other situation, every party can sue every other party…

But other reports from this sailing have said that it was an electrical problem, not a collision, so how to tell the real from the fake news?

As stated, the pilot is an "advisor on local conditions" to the Captain. The Captain is always in command. He may allow the pilot to "conn" (give orders to the bridge crew for steering and speed), but it is always the Captain's responsibility and authority to countermand or relieve the pilot if the Captain feels there is any danger to passengers, crew, ship, or the environment. Pilots are not allowed to touch or operate any equipment on the bridge, not even to change a setting on a radar screen, since they are not company employees. They must request any changes be done by the bridge crew.

As for liability, unless the pilot is found to have been grossly negligent (he knew something was there, and purposely steered towards it), the shipowner is responsible for damages. Pilot liability is also a matter of local law, so their responsibility can change by country.

If the ship had struck something that caused a reduction of speed, this would have meant a bent propeller blade, and would not have been fixed in the short port stay in Southampton. I believe the electrical/electronic problem explanation.

re UK customs and immigration.

I came back Sunday night through Newhaven on the ferry from Dieppe. The customs and immigration were a deal more thorough than I have seen for a long time. I wonder if there is a heightened alert state in force at the moment?

Interesting thread. I'm sure NCL would compensate for what is in their control. Seems that most of these situations were not. And yes, who can fault authorities for wanting thorough vetting of passengers comings and goings. And who knows what's lurking beneath the surface ...? Or would there be some kind of sonar to monitor?? As for managing the tides....perhaps it would have been less expensive not to have ported in Brest at all?? Decisions were made by folks who know much more about regulations, predictions and weather. Time to rethink the addiction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just arrived home from this cruise and I will agree with the OP - NCL really mishandled every single mishap on this cruise. The lack of officer presence, the appalling lack of safety in Brest, the endless shambolic organisation of getting people through immigration in UK - not an officer in sight and the calls for queuing by deck were ignored - quite frankly it was an appalling example of so called management.

I LOVED the Getaway - the ship - the staff - the bartenders, housekeeping, waiters, food = ten out of ten. The officers - wow - who else saw them on that final day - we really began to think they were just images on the NCL TV channel.. ...

This needs expanding on - but for sure there are thousands of people who will be putting in official complaints about the management of this cruise.

That gangway in Brest - my God - how no one was seriously injured beats me - It must have outlawed every health and safety aspect there is! I was petrified going up a "MAX 20 person" gangway which was soaking wet -bouncing like crazy with at least 50 people on it (trying to go up and down at the same time) and again, NOT ONE OFFICER present to control the situation! It was awful just awful!

Yes, we have done many TAs - more than most - and we expect port drops - it happens.

Its HOW it was handled that was the issue.

The football hooliganism in Rotterdam didn't come close to the riots on the lines on deck 7 - and NOT ONE OFFICER was present - they ALL HID!

And why on earth did France allow non EU citizens to come into the EU ??? That one beats me? I am actually going to raise this subject with our local MSP as to why France allows non EU citizens to come freely into Europe.. Immigration should have been done at the first port of entry into Europe - which was FRANCE!

Guest services actually told me that the UK is no longer a part of the EU - I died laughing...seriously??????????

Complaints were ignored - no follow ups by guest services. Hey - not even a plate of strawberries...

No phone call - no response - nada!

Unless you were there - you will never know how badly the events of this cruise were managed.

Fantastic food, ship and crew - The Captain and his sidekicks including guest services, staff captain and hotel director! - nil point!

Cruise director(s) Silas and Tahani = ten out of ten! Good job mateys - the ONLY ones who tried hard to hold it together!

I have never in our history of cruising seen so many people treated so appallingly, and that includes being on a broken down Costa ship -

More to follow on this one - I have no doubt!

NCL must be preparing themselves for the 3800 complaints they are about to receive! I have never heard so many people express such disgust at the same time - one after the other after the other....

If we didn't laugh we would have cried..

Fab ship - fab food - amongst the best in fact..

Officers - shame on you - how funny we all finally got to see some of you as we left the ship

Hey - best debarkation ever!!!! 45 minutes early mind you - but super organised for those with airport transfers - awesome job!

$100 pp does not compensate for the losses and sheer stress and anguish caused.

Lousy job Captain and the beards in Miami calling the shots!

Outcome will go on I am sure,.....

I am really not surprised at the UK customs issue - they are understaffed (do not argue on this one it is a fact) and simply can not handle these numbers with other ships in port. NCL have had over the year other issues with Southampton (Epic September 2015) and they are not the main user of the port. We need to protect our borders!

It wasn't the customs guys fault - and hey - there were only 70 Brits on board and the customs guy said to me "Why didn't ncl pull us in a UK line which would have processed in under ten minutes".. The customs guys were fine.

The French - hey - why did they allow +3000 NON EU citizens to enter Europe with no immigration control - that's what gets me - I am with you - close the Borders! Doesn't give us much confidence does it..

The problems in Southampton were caused by sheer lack of managed line control

There were decks called number by number but of course everyone went at the same time - this resulted in a line of thousands of tired, squabbling people and NOT ONE OFFICER took control.

The cruise director came over the tannoy calling each deck - but even that was a mess as he was calling decks whilst the line was still +2000 long -

It was bedlam - and believe you me - a friendly customs officer with a smile and a quick glance at our OWN COUNTRY' passports - was a welcome sight indeed!