Thinking of Alaska for 2018

Cruiser Forever

Which is better in your opinion, next May the Memorial Day week or September the Labor Day week I was in Alaska during the end of August several years back. Just wondering if the beginning of the summer or the end of the summer is better? Just wanted other cruise critic members thoughts and ideas. Thanks :)

In terms of what? Weather? Crowds? Fares?

If you look around the board all of these are addressed. Weather is generally cool and dry in May, colder in September (we had snow on Labor Day one year) Fares in may are similar to September. Crowds as well.

Memorial Day weekend is the ramp up to the summer season, Labor Day is the wind down.

When we went two years ago we asked that question of our bus driver on the way to Mendenhall Glacier. He was a retired police officer that had been coming to Juneau for several years to work in the summer. His recommendation was to come early in the season. He felt that part of the whole experience is the attitude of the seasonal workers who run your tours, wait tables and work the shops. At the beginning of the season they are happy to be there and to be of help. By September they just want it to be over and go back home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we went two years ago we asked that question of our bus driver on the way to Mendenhall Glacier. He was a retired police officer that had been coming to Juneau for several years to work in the summer. His recommendation was to come early in the season. He felt that part of the whole experience is the attitude of the seasonal workers who run your tours, wait tables and work the shops. At the beginning of the season they are happy to be there and to be of help. By September they just want it to be over and go back home.

We didn't need to ask one to reach this conclusion...Have done 3 May cruises and one Sept cruise, a big difference at least it was to us. I would pick May easily over Sept.

In terms of what? Weather? Crowds? Fares?

If you look around the board all of these are addressed. Weather is generally cool and dry in May, colder in September (we had snow on Labor Day one year) Fares in may are similar to September. Crowds as well.

Memorial Day weekend is the ramp up to the summer season, Labor Day is the wind down.

In terms of weather and fare which do you recommend?

Thanks for the reply I will have to talk tis over with my family.

Thanks,

But you might still have salmon running some places the end of August. I love the salmon runs.

That sounds interesting. Last time I went to Alaska was in early August and we lucked out weather wise. And I love salmon.

After cruising Alaska many times, we have determined that May is the best for the cruise cost, weather, lots of baby animals (whales, eagles, deer, etc) discovering Alaska, fewer crowds, lower air fares with many schools still in session, longer daylight hours, no mosquitoes, and snow still on many peaks.

In Septembers, we had typhoons, heavy rain, fog, less daylight hours, and many summertime student employees had gone back to school causing excursions to be a bit disjointed. A big plus for September are the drastically reduce souvenir costs.

Of course, others may have had different opinions/experiences.