Does Miami enforce staggered check in?

angiegal

We aren't leaving until October, but when completing online check in, I was given the option to choose a check in time. My question is two fold: first, is the check in time actually enforced? This probably sounds like a stupid question, but if our check in is 12:30 to 1:00, and we arrive at 12:30, are we going to be stuck in a huge line? Or do you plan to arrive at the port at noon so you're ready to check in at 12:30? Second, does FTTF have an effect on the staggered check in? We've only used FTTF once, but found it really helpful to be able to drop off our carry ons in the cabin as soon as we boarded and liked not waiting in line. This time we have 3 cabins, so it hardly seems worth it to pay $150 for FTTF if the staggered check in is efficient. We would just find a place to park ourselves with our bags until our cabins are ready. TIA

I can only sort of answer this. I was in the first check in slot. We were not early but did arrive during the time slot and everything went smoothly. There was not a huge amount of waiting. It does seem strictly enforced however. They were turning away people who were there early.

There is a separate line for FTTF so once they clear the ship for boarding, you can check in. We had 10:30 - 11:00 two weeks ago for our Glory cruise. We got to the terminal about 10:00 since my daughter and son-in-law had FTTF and were able to check in right away. About 10:15 I noticed people were checking in in the regular line so I asked when we could check in and they said "now" so we did...Took about 5 minutes and then we waited in the waiting area with my daughter and son in law to board. They boarded about 15 minutes before us.

So I don't know if it was just luck that we could check in early or if that is how it always is....

If you have FTTF, you still have to pick a check-in time...BUT, you can check in as soon as they start the check in process. All passengers cruising now have to pick the time even though with Diamond/Platinum and FTTF, you can check in any time. It makes no sense, but that's the way it's set up.

Thanks for all of the quick responses! It sounds like if we just arrive at our time, we will be good to go! I think my biggest fear was that we would wait until our check in time and find out that no one else did so we would get stuck in a big line.

We just got back from our cruise out of Port Canaveral Florida, We checked in during our assigned time window (1 - 1:30 pm) and were on board in less than 10 minutes! It was smooth and extremely fast. We went out of Miami last year and although we had an assigned check in time it was complete and utter chaos, the lines were long and it was more like a free for all. Maybe the port has a lot to do with the lines.

Went out of Miami in march on the Vista. Check in time was 11:30, we arrived at the port around 10:30 and walked right into the terminal. We probably lucked out that that particular agent wasn't looking at the times.

Yes they do. I can't remember if we had an 11 or 11:30 back in October, but we showed up right after the start. Before letting us into the building, I was asked for our boarding passes to verify our check-in time. We, of course, were allowed in.

I've never done FTTF, but I believe you are required to pick a time, but you can actually arrive anytime & be allowed in once they open for check in.

We just got back from our cruise out of Port Canaveral Florida, We checked in during our assigned time window (1 - 1:30 pm) and were on board in less than 10 minutes! It was smooth and extremely fast. We went out of Miami last year and although we had an assigned check in time it was complete and utter chaos, the lines were long and it was more like a free for all. Maybe the port has a lot to do with the lines.

Yes, this is what I am concerned about! I vaguely remember seeing that Miami was chaotic and we've never left from there before. I have some anxiety issues and constantly check boarding passes, passports, and driving my family crazy until we get on board so maybe FTTF is a good idea ;p

The new policy and picking up cards outside your room is a significant improvement over the "old way".

We are on the Sensation. Are they using the new policy on all the ships leaving from Miami?

We are on the Sensation. Are they using the new policy on all the ships leaving from Miami?

I can't imagine they have different policies for different ships. I believe it a policy for the port. If I am wrong I am sure one of my friends here will correct me.

Sent from my iPhone

I can't imagine they have different policies for different ships. I believe it a policy for the port. If I am wrong I am sure one of my friends here will correct me.

Sent from my iPhone

As of right now the cards in the mailboxes are only on Vista and Splendor. From what I've heard some ships don't even have mailboxes. I'm guessing those are older ones.

As of right now the cards in the mailboxes are only on Vista and Splendor. From what I've heard some ships don't even have mailboxes. I'm guessing those are older ones.

Stand corrected. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone

We aren't leaving until October, but when completing online check in, I was given the option to choose a check in time. My question is two fold: first, is the check in time actually enforced?

When we sailed Splendor out of Miami this past February, the check in time was indeed enforced. We had 10:30 time. The line outside the terminal formed around 9:30. We all had to show our boarding passes in order to enter the port building. The people in front of us had 12:30 printed on theirs and were told to leave the line, wait elsewhere, and return at their time.

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but if our check in is 12:30 to 1:00, and we arrive at 12:30, are we going to be stuck in a huge line? Or do you plan to arrive at the port at noon so you're ready to check in at 12:30? Second, does FTTF have an effect on the staggered check in?

Yes.

Like Diamond and Platinum, FTTF has to choose a time but can arrive and check in at any time.

We've only used FTTF once, but found it really helpful to be able to drop off our carry ons in the cabin as soon as we boarded and liked not waiting in line. This time we have 3 cabins, so it hardly seems worth it to pay $150 for FTTF if the staggered check in is efficient. We would just find a place to park ourselves with our bags until our cabins are ready. TIA

My suggestion is to purchase one FTTF, put tags with that cabin number on all luggage, and take all carry-ons to the cabin upon embarkation.

Just got back from a cruise on the Vista out of Miami and my check in time was 10AM, but they did not even open the door for anyone until closer to 11:30. Boarding did not begin until after 1PM. They checked in people in the order they arrived rather then the times that came before others. It went fairly quickly due to the faster process they've recently started so it was not a big deal.

Just got back from a cruise on the Vista out of Miami and my check in time was 10AM, but they did not even open the door for anyone until closer to 11:30. Boarding did not begin until after 1PM. They checked in people in the order they arrived rather then the times that came before others. It went fairly quickly due to the faster process they've recently started so it was not a big deal.

The earliest time for Vista has been 11AM. When did they change it to 10AM?

The earliest time for Vista has been 11AM. When did they change it to 10AM?

Not sure, when I booked it I selected 10:00-10:30 as my window. Although it never mattered being platinum but I still have my paperwork that shows it in my bag as I just returned from the trip today lol.

Not sure, when I booked it I selected 10:00-10:30 as my window. Although it never mattered being platinum but I still have my paperwork that shows it in my bag as I just returned from the trip today lol.

Weird. I'm Platinum too and I selected our check in time the day it opened and the earliest was 11AM. That's the same as others reported as well. Maybe it was a glitch or if they changed the times, they might not have let the port people know and that's why they were so late to let people in.