Just off Star May 7 - May 14, 2017

tempus137

Just got off the Star after a cruise to the Greek Isles from Venice. Overall, a great cruise with a couple of negatives.

There was very little time at some of the ports, like less than 5 hours in Dubrovnik. We didn't even bother getting off the ship.

Miscommunication (or misunderstanding) about Thermal Spa. According to CC, there were 2 relaxation rooms, 1 male & 1 female. This was also pointed out by spa staff during orientation. Turned out some people thought they were both unisex. Also, DW had the experience where 4 women in the relaxation room would not stop a constant, loud chatter. Not very relaxing.

We had cabin 9066, a typical balcony. Cabin was fine, except for the fact that the lift for the Zodiac workboat extended right below the balcony. The noise was as good as an alarm clock.

Otherwise, the cruise was terrific. Food was great, especially O'Sheehans. The Tenors of Rock was a great show, as was the Las Vegas revue.

Early in the cruise, we purchase 4 Cruise Next certificates, and then we found out about the Cruise Next Ultimate booking, so on the last night, we checked it out. We asked about a TA cruise either starting or ending in NYC. Turns out, the maiden voyage on the Bliss fit the bill exactly, from London to NYC. With the ultimate bonus, we were able to get a BA balcony for the price of a BF. Plus we used 2 of our certificates.

Thanks for the post. I depart on the Star June 4th. Do they still have the optional dress up night? How were most dressed for dinner the other nights...not sure if the MED is more casual or dressier!

Just got off the Star after a cruise to the Greek Isles from Venice. Overall, a great cruise with a couple of negatives.

There was very little time at some of the ports, like less than 5 hours in Dubrovnik. We didn't even bother getting off the ship .......

Too bad you stayed aboard if you'd never been to Dubrovnik before. There's a lot to see in the town and it's close enough to port that you could do a DIY tour on the old walls, walk around the town, have a coffee or drink at a sidewalk table. Dubrovnik is one of my favorite memories from just walking around the town, exploring. Five hours would be more than enough time.

I'm glad the rest of your cruise was good.

I was on the same cruise. Very fun, but port times were too short.

We tendered at 3 of 5 ports (Kotor, Santorini, and Mykonos) which was painful.

Dubrovnik was my favorite port, even though the times were short. We walked the walls at 8:00 am and it was awesome to be up there without tour groups. I think we saw 15 other people during the entire wall walk which made it feel super special after the crowds at Santorini.

Apprecate the feedback. Same thing happened to my wife in the sauna, constant loud chatter.
I can never understand why folks don't understand the word "relaxation". If it were me, I would have started singing until they stopped talking.

Thanks for the post. I depart on the Star June 4th. Do they still have the optional dress up night? How were most dressed for dinner the other nights...not sure if the MED is more casual or dressier!

Yes, they still have Norwegian Night Out. There was only 1 MDR (Versailles) & 1 specialty restaurant (Le Bistro) with any sort of dress code, "Smart Casual" which basically meant no shorts or torn jeans and no t-shirts.

yes, they still have norwegian night out. There was only 1 mdr (versailles) & 1 specialty restaurant (le bistro) with any sort of dress code, "smart casual" which basically meant no shorts or torn jeans and no t-shirts.

thanks!

I can never understand why folks don't understand the word "relaxation". If it were me, I would have started singing until they stopped talking.

No need to sing....I'd give them the evil eye and then "finger on the lip" with shhhhh.......

People need to speak up....generally the other party is unaware that they are bothering others.

I was on the same cruise. Very fun, but port times were too short.

We tendered at 3 of 5 ports (Kotor, Santorini, and Mykonos) which was painful.

Forgive my ignorance, but why is tendering painful? Just because it is time consuming or because the actual ride in the small boat is rough?

It wouldn't be so bad if you had longer times in port. It took 30 minutes to an hour to get off ship if you line up early to pick up a tender ticket. Plus you had to allow

Extra time to return to the ship via tender boat v hopping directly on the ship.

Our tender ports were Kotor, Santorini, and Mykonos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was very little time at some of the ports, like less than 5 hours in Dubrovnik. We didn't even bother getting off the ship.

Miscommunication (or misunderstanding) about Thermal Spa. According to CC, there were 2 relaxation rooms, 1 male & 1 female. This was also pointed out by spa staff during orientation. Turned out some people thought they were both unisex. Also, DW had the experience where 4 women in the relaxation room would not stop a constant, loud chatter. Not very relaxing.

We had cabin 9066, a typical balcony. Cabin was fine, except for the fact that the lift for the Zodiac workboat extended right below the balcony. The noise was as good as an alarm clock.

Otherwise, the cruise was terrific. Food was great, especially O'Sheehans. The Tenors of Rock was a great show, as was the Las Vegas revue.

Early in the cruise, we purchase 4 Cruise Next certificates, and then we found out about the Cruise Next Ultimate booking, so on the last night, we checked it out. We asked about a TA cruise either starting or ending in NYC. Turns out, the maiden voyage on the Bliss fit the bill exactly, from London to NYC. With the ultimate bonus, we were able to get a BA balcony for the price of a BF. Plus we used 2 of our certificates.

Thank you for your informative post...We are doing the same cruise mid August. Your review certainly helps us in our planning. Do you have the Dailies from your trip? If so, can you pls post it. I can provide you with my email address if that is preferable. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your informative post...We are doing the same cruise mid August. Your review certainly helps us in our planning. Do you have the Dailies from your trip? If so, can you pls post it. I can provide you with my email address if that is preferable. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but we don't usually keep the Dailies.

Hi,

Just a quick question. As this is our first ever cruise, if we wanted to sit and have a few drinks on an evening by the Bier Garten, is it cold, if so would a jumper or cardigan suffice.

Hi,

Just a quick question. As this is our first ever cruise, if we wanted to sit and have a few drinks on an evening by the Bier Garten, is it cold, if so would a jumper or cardigan suffice.

I only went to the Bier Garten during the day, but it's a typical outdoor bar, with an awning over the tables.