Celebrity Solstice - new to cruising and have questions

Muffinz

First, let me say, have a great first cruise! Celebrity is a wonderful line and Solstice a beautiful ship.

I didn't see that anyone answered your laptop question...there is an iLounge with a fair number of desktop Macs. If you simply want to check your email or surf the Web a few times during your cruise, buying a small internet package and using the ship's computers should be fine. But if, for example, you're planning to download your hometown newspaper each morning, receive and send emails each day, have FaceTime contact, definitely bring your laptop and/or other devices.

The upgraded Xcelerate system, installed on all Celebrity ships, has definitely improved speed and signal strength, but can still be erratic at times. We've been getting the "Go Best" package, with unlimited internet, so we don't obsess over how many minutes we chew up on a limited-minute package. Outright purchase of Unlimited will be pricey, but worth it, in my opinion, if you plan to be online daily. And, if your usage will be daily (or nearly daily) it's a lot nicer sitting on your veranda or in Cafe Baccio with your laptop rather than in the interior iLounge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Cruise will most definitely leave from Circulat Quay.... Solstice way too large to go under the bridge to White Bay.

Cheers

Belinda

thanks for that - that's what I thought, but wanted to check to make sure :D

Note that if you bring your own two bottle of wine on board (limit two per cabin), you can consume it in your cabin at no cost. If you want to open outside the cabin (dining room, buffet, lunge), there will be a corkage fee of $25 US dollars per bottle.

We are also booked on that cruise. It will be our third time on the Solstice. It's a beautiful ship. Booking with the bevy package is the way to go. No worries about a big bill at the end of the cruise. With the bevy package there is no need to bring your own wine unless you are a wine "snob" and have a particular wine you must have. The wine selection isn't the greatest for sure but there are quite a lot of choices, especially if you don't mind spending a little to upgrade your drink. Your bevy package pays for wine up to $8, over that you pay the difference.

Yup. Circular Quay. We stayed at the Marriot which was a great location. One short block to Circular Quay and pretty much walkable to everywhere. Easy walk to,the shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Muffinz!

You've booked a beautiful ship. We've enjoyed every sailing on the Solstice (and her sisters), and have another one scheduled for September. We have sailed with several other cruise lines, and find Celebrity's Solstice Class ships to be pleasantly unique in design in so many aspects.

Alcohol - Wine, one bottle per adult passenger is permitted. We generally pack this in our carry-ons and have never had a problem. Carry-ons are advisable just in case the delivery of your bags are delayed. We generally put a change of clothing, medications, toiletries, and anything of value in these. Checked bags definitely ARE x-rayed, and we knew one hapless passenger who had a clothing iron confiscated this way. (Returned at the end of the sailing.) Getting beverage packages as a perk can be a big savings. BTW, if you do purchase a bottle of wine at your table, the staff can save it for you to have at your next meal, no matter which dining room you are in. You are also permitted to take your bottle with you to your stateroom if you desire.

Internet - You can bring your laptop onboard and may find connections in ports. We have encountered a few pretty cool coffee shops, bars, and offbeat eateries looking for Wi-Fi. If you have an internet package, you can connect from your cabin, although connectivity is greatly slowed during at sea days. When we have purchased a package, we would always compose offline, and then copy to email. Be sure to get instructions on how to log off at the end of each session so your time does not run out.

We have not used the ship's laundry facilities with Celebrity, but suggest that you establish how long it will take to get your items returned. Packing a bit of liquid laundry detergent to wash small items in your sink may be a good idea - just in case. I like to bring a Tide pen for spotting.

As a first time cruiser, you may find registration a bit chaotic and off-putting. There will be a LOT of people. Registration is probably the only thing I don't like about cruising. I guess it is analogous to standing in line for TSA at the airport on a holiday. Disembarkation can be the same way. But sailing is completely different and quite enjoyable.

Get to know your cabin attendant. He (she) will be taking care of your needs throughout the cruise. Don't hesitate to make requests, eg, ice at certain times, etc. Also, be sure to acknowledge good service. Tips are good, but we also write up particularly good service on forms given at the Customer Relations Desk. This is highly valued by crew, and we have seem promotions come from positive passenger evaluations.

Enjoy your first sailing!

We have not used the ship's laundry facilities with Celebrity, but suggest that you establish how long it will take to get your items returned.

I've used Celebrity laundry services and have been very impressed. Turn around time was very quick (next day) and quality great. It can be costly, so watch for specials.

As a first time cruiser, you may find registration a bit chaotic and off-putting. There will be a LOT of people. Registration is probably the only thing I don't like about cruising. I guess it is analogous to standing in line for TSA at the airport on a holiday. Disembarkation can be the same way. But sailing is completely different and quite enjoyable.

I've found Celebrity check-in to actually be very smooth and efficient...

Regardless, that feeling of stepping ON to the ship and knowing "it's about to begin" is just fantastic (and the champagne is nice!!)

Enjoy! eXcellent choice with Celebrity !

Thanks for the replies.... wife said I am getting too excited, and she's right..... I can't wait to go on the cruise, but have to wait til March next year!

We've booked the airfares Auckland / Sydney return - just need to book a hotel for the night before the cruise and for 4 nights after the cruise - as we are goung to stay on in Sydney until Sunday 15th April.

The travel agent got us a cabin on 9th deck somewhere in the middle of the ship (balcony view) - the price we paid includes classic beverage package , gratuities and taxes / fees.... and wife said 'gratuities' is tips and we don't need to tip anyone on top of what we've paid....

But I think it would be nice to tip the cabin attendant at the end of the cruise

does anyone know what ports the ship actually docks at, because from what I've heard at Cairns, Airlie Beach, Port Douglas the ship docks out to sea and passangers get tendered into shore on smaller boats?

Re hotel suggestions....We loved the Pullman Quay! I mean really loved staying there! Next door to the Opera House, balcony overlooking the bridge and where Solstice will moor up. Right next door to the railway station and the ferry boats and the Botanical gardens just behind! No need for a taxi, unless you have masses of luggage you will be able to walk to the ship!

The room itself is suite type with a bedroom and living/dining area with a kitchen including a washer dryer (great for us as we were staying a few days pre cruise).

We loved the view from our room so much that some nights we bought food and wine from the local supermarket to eat on our balcony! So easy....We could not imagine anyone else was eating in Sydney in better surroundings. Just as we thought life could not get better an amazing sax player started busking near the Quay....wonderful!

Not the cheapest hotel, but not the dearest either....We hope to return to Sydney in the next couple of years and will definitely book here again.

Note that if you bring your own two bottle of wine on board (limit two per cabin), you can consume it in your cabin at no cost. If you want to open outside the cabin (dining room, buffet, lunge), there will be a corkage fee of $25 US dollars per bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks - we're looking at the Rendezvous hotel but wife can't make up her mind if she just wants to stay there just for the night before the cruise of if she wants to stay there after the cruise as well.... we probably won't take any alcohol on board - we have a classic drinks package so will make use of that