Dog Sled for Cowards!

BJane

On all my previous trips to Alaska I have wanted to do a dog sled excursion but will NOT go in a helicopter to get to it. For my upcoming cruise in June (lucky 13th) I found that there is an excursion out of Skagway that is just my style. The sleds have wheels instead of runners and travel over a non-snow trail. It is now available for booking and I got it!

On all my previous trips to Alaska I have wanted to do a dog sled excursion but will NOT go in a helicopter to get to it. For my upcoming cruise in June (lucky 13th) I found that there is an excursion out of Skagway that is just my style. The sleds have wheels instead of runners and travel over a non-snow trail. It is now available for booking and I got it!

:) Good luck! Personally I'd sooner ride a sled on runners over snow - dogs are very sure-footed! A wheeled sled on a non-snow trail..?????????

:D

Go for it! DW and I did that in June of 2004 off the Staatendam and had a great time. You get to spend some time with the dogs (helps if you like dogs . . . we do), the ride is short, but you learn a lot. One thing we learned is the State Bird of Alaska is big and slow . . . they call them mosquitos . . . but you can see them before they bite!

The excursion did interfere with our early dinner seating, so we talked to the Maitre'D about changing to a later seating, which he accomodated. But we had to soothe the feelings of our regular table's waiters! (DW doesn't like buffets, so the Lido was not an option.) Also Alaska has to be experienced to be understood, and our first curise ever was terrific.

There is no comparism to a wheeled sled ride and on snow. But you may want to also consider renting a car for a beautiful drive to Emerald Lake, Yukon and do your cart ride there. For two people would only be a little more than your ship tour, PLUS you get the wonderful opportunity for spectacular scenery. :) http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

The Skagway dog cart ride has been around for years, my kids liked it, but was hardly worth the $35 price then for me. Now it's totally ship contracted and triple in price.

Archived