St Georges, Bermuda - Dockside ,WiFi Connectivity

wee-haggis

I read in the Norwegian website that several ports of call have enhanced dockside, wifi connectivity. Does anyone know if St Georges, Bermuda is one of them ? (see attachment)........sorry, should have said Kings Wharf

3.pdf

Edited by wee-haggis

I read in the Norwegian website that several ports of call have enhanced dockside, wifi connectivity. Does anyone know if St Georges, Bermuda is one of them ? (see attachment)

The new system is not fully active until July. so not sure anyone would know at this point. Call NCL maybe?

Also, you do not dock at St. Georges, you dock at King's Wharf.

The new system is not fully active until July. so not sure anyone would know at this point. Call NCL maybe?

Also, you do not dock at St. Georges, you dock at King's Wharf.

Thanks......my mistake on the dock location

The press release was from 2016, so the wifi enhancements were in place by July, 2016. Having been in Bermuda on the BA several times, I can tell you that I didn't notice any improvement on my last trip there in October, 2016.

Thanks........are you saying they have it at Kings Wharf ?

No...see my edited post. I said that I hadn't seen any improvement when I was there in October, 2016. FYI, the Breakaway docks at Heritage Wharf, not Kings Wharf. The two quays are both located at the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Oh.

July, 2016. Have been on NCL ships around 50 days since that point. No improvement whatsoever, in fact, some of the worst internet access on any ship. And we've been accessing the internet on ships since 2001.

I dont think the OP means WiFi on the ship, but WiFi at the dockside area.

I havent been since 2014 BEFORE their improvements. But when I was there, I purchased WiFi (some little store at the dockside area and it worked really well. In fact, it was possible (but not always) to access it from the pool deck if standing on the dock side of the ship. You'd see a lot of crew people sitting outside the ship at the dock using their devices with this WiFi.

Supposedly they improved it though. If its at least as good as it was, it wasnt bad.

We're in Bermuda last May on the BA, ship's WiFi works fine, 5 Ghz band wasn't as congested vs. 2.4 Ghz. I did not "pickup" any WiFi signals on the pier and off the ship, as its effective range are limited by design. The paid WiFi (with the "pass" purchased) is adequate up to deck 8 on the Waterfront, on the pier side - whichever way it is docked.

Our cellular connection was solid on DigiCel, it has strong 3G (throttled slower from 4G/HSPA+ ... not 100% sure about LTE) coverage everywhere - no issues whatsoever on deck 15 (buffet/pool) or deck 16 (sundeck) and elsewhere. SeaExpress (fast ferry) has cellular connections so we're doing our broadband updates on the way over to St. George's - info in this paragraph is just FYI and has nothing to do with NCL's WiFi/satellite promises last summer.

Just off the Gem 2 weeks ago, the provider is "MTN" and noticed some improvement in speed but it was still much slower than my benchmark results on the BA last year with their WiFi.

Somewhat off-topic, but I was truly surprised to pickup Gem's WiFi signal on the shores and beachfront at GSC while we're docked there - spotted the tall antenna towers by the tender pier, which also has satellite antennas - picked up a good/solid BTC (Bahamas) cellular signal there while in our shaded clamshell. That supported the notion that they are bringing shoreside WiFi connectivity to a higher level at select ports ... typically, WiFi signal has a range of 150 to 300 ft. & won't reach the private island even when bounced off the waters while anchored (maybe, they're deployed microwave antenna technologies to boost the signals, sort of like radio repeaters) There is at least one other WiFi signal on the island (SSiD is "NCLH-Voice" ... see if you can find it when going to GSC)