Christmas Markets River Cruise for 2018

B'Elanna

I booked a Uniworld Xmas cruise for 22 Dec this year. At the time of booking all bar one company had single supplement waived on a lot of departures. I booked in April this year.

We are booked on Uniworld's 2018 Xmas cruise Passau to Budapest. Is that the one you booked? We plan to fly to Munich a day early, hoping the Christmas market there might still be open.

We live in a warm climate so we found that visiting Europe in the colder weather really got us in the Christmas spirit. :cool: (Plus, we finally have the appropriate clothing, so we figured we might as well put it to use!) Our plan this time around is to spend more time in Budapest since we really enjoyed it last year but felt it deserved more time.

We live in a warm climate, too. What clothes do you recommend? Want to be warm enough and dry but not pack too much bulky clothing.

We live in a warm climate, too. What clothes do you recommend? Want to be warm enough and dry but not pack too much bulky clothing.

I wore jeans most days on the tours, with silk long underwear and additional layers (turtleneck/sweater/scarf/glove liners/sock liners/smart wool socks) and a down jacket (thigh length) with a hood. Yep, I'm a warm weather wimp. :') I usually wore Ugg boots that I had sprayed with water proofing before the trip. On the boat, I usually wore leggings with tunics. I washed the silk underwear myself, and got the few turtlenecks, socks/liners, etc. that I took laundered routinely. (BTW, last year there was a lengthy thread about clothing recommendations for the Christmas cruises; there was lots of good info on it that I found very helpful.)

Light layers. Think thin merino wool and maybe a silk underlayer (or heat tech from Uniqlo) instead of a bulky wool sweater. There is a specific thread on packing for river cruises (well, more than one I'm sure) and some of us have posted our packing lists/capsule wardrobes for info. Also, check average temps for your itinerary/dates - it might not actually be that cold. Most of our trip was not. Though my MIL is a total weather wimp AND completely ignored our ONE YEAR of warning about what/how to pack, and therefore she was cold and I had to give her a couple of my merino tees to wear....

River Cruise capsule.pdf

Also, check average temps for your itinerary/dates - it might not actually be that cold.

Yep, layers are the way to go. We had a chilly, rainy day in Vienna that made me glad to have water-proofed by boots. We also had several very cold days with temps in the low 20s but also saw temps up near 50 toward the end of our trip in Nuremberg and Salzburg.

For those of you who have been on the river cruise is the drink package worth it. How many waking hours are you on the boat?

I personally do not think a drinks package on a non-all-inclusive river cruise would be worth it. Wine/beer at lunch and dinner, plus maybe a drink at happy hour (which is half price on Avalon, when we cruised in Dec 2014) and then a bottle of whatever we want in our cabin is just fine for us. We brought on local beer & wine to drink as a night cap or while getting ready for dinner. Since you can bring on wine/beer/liquor onto a river cruise (you might have to pay corkage to drink wine in the dining room but not in your cabin), I just don't see a benefit to it.

For those of you who have been on the river cruise is the drink package worth it. How many waking hours are you on the boat? Thank you,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Most of our river cruises have been on non drink inclusive lines. We like a martini before dinner and a single malt after and we enjoy wine with lunch and dinner. Our bar tab is seldom over $150-200 for the week, and that includes buying a bottle or two of wine.

Always merino wool/ cashmere any time of year. Also like Smart Wool tops. Gloves- not leather, just because eating and drinking at markets can be messy- mustard everywhere!

Hat. Scarf. Infinity scarf nice. Pocket umbrella. It really does get cold when outside for long. Extra wet ones in your pocket for eating on the go. Wallet on a belt good in crowds in Europe. ( Learned all this at Christmas market in Chicago first). Do not try to buy and bring German sausage home thru customs! Eat it there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do not try to buy and bring German sausage home thru customs! Eat it there!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:')

Good idea about the wet wipes! And last year we took some bubble wrap with us. It came in handy for wrapping ornaments and Gluehwein mugs on the way home.