Where's it cheaper to purchase liquor & Cigarettes ports or ship?

dis2cruise

I'm not a smoker, but I buy cigs on a cruise for others. I was told to make sure they were made in the US, not Switzerland., not sure why. Also, if you buy onboard you can us up non-refundable ship board credit, if you have any.

The cartons of cigarettes were cheaper in St. Maarten and St. Kitts and were made in Switzerland so we bought a few cartons. We were told by another passenger that the Swiss cigarettes were low quality, so we bought another carton of made in U.S.A. cigs in the ship store. The recipient/smoker said there was no difference between the cartons. I suspect the rumor about inferior Swiss cigs is promoted by the guy selling U.S.A. cigs. But I don't smoke so I think they're all awful.

Grand Cayman has the best liquor prices in the Western Carib. The last 3 or 4 times we were there they had a special of 11% discount if purchased before 11:00 am. Not sure if this deal still available but it will not hurt to ask. Once in a while the prices on the ship may be a good deal but I have found after many cruises that the best price is usually on the islands. I am always amazed on the first night of every cruise to see the long lines at the liquor tasting to finally get to the front of the line for a tiny taste of liquor in a tiny cup.

On our last Caribbean cruise in January, I noticed that the in-port prices for many liquors were HIGHER than the prices at the state-run liquor stores here at home. On the other hand, ship prices for some of the more common liquors were quite a bit lower. For example: Crown Royal was selling for $34 for 2 one liter bottles. Here Crown Royal is $28.95 for one 750ml bottle.

Do an on-line search for prices in each place, something I do before I travel anywhere then I know the best place to buy. For example when we did the Panama Canal cheapest place for cigarettes in all places visited was Mexico. I have just looked for current Cozumel prices - 65 Mex Pesos = $2.93 per pack! As you probably already know it depends what brand you want. I smoke Silkcut at home but have found that Parliament are very similar and available almost everywhere.